Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-10-2004, 05:13 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Re: Some people aren't going to like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
Kudos to boondock, drivemusicnow and myetball for talking sense in the face of so much blind patriotism.
Phil.
Those who are against the administration are talking sense, while those who are for it are blind patriots??? Huh?? I think there are valid perspectives on BOTH sides. If you choose one side before the discussion is ended, you take the blind position. BTW, on this particular website, I think the difficult position to take is the one supportive of the administration.

Quote:
Here's my conspiricy theory, it's nice and simple:
Phil.
Interesting ideas. Pretty simplistic, but a few good points.

Quote:
We are less than 10 years away from a huge oil crisis (Global Peak Oil)
Phil.
We were told the same propaganda in the seventies. Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:

So far it's all worked out quite well for America. They've managed to turn the terrible events of 9/11 to a significant future economic advantage.
Phil.
That's a pretty horrible allegation. Are you sure your own anti-American biases aren't showing?

Quote:
Every other world leader is trying to do the same. You can't dominate the world by being Mr Nice Guy.
Phil.
Or maybe those are simply anti-government biases. Do you really think the goal of every world leader is to dominate the world? Some people think it is to govern.

Quote:
Americans would be looking back saying "Why didn't we do something while there was still time?". If asked to pay $50 for a gallon of petrol, wouldn't you say "I wish we'd invaded Iraq and taken control of their oil while we had the chance"?.
Phil.
Another perspective- if such an event happens, Americans may in fact be the world leaders again in the development of new technologies. If you believe there could actually be a world-wide meltdown in oil supplies, what advantage would there be in overtaking a country with a few remaining oil reserves? A few more years? The winners in that scenario will certainly be the ones who come up with the plan for the great new future, not those who try to squabble over the last few scraps. The losers willl certainly be those who sit around and do nothing but point the finger at others.

Quote:
Just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone. Feel free to insult me (within site rules) if you disagree.

Phil.
I guess everyone can go ahead and insult me too.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I think that "Myetball" had some interesting things to say.

As far as what the Britt had to say..... Some very interesting things in that post too.

All I have to say is that I'm gonna piss off back to Australia as soon as I get out of the Marines. I know that the world is going toward something pretty big as far as oil and I don't want to be in the US when it happens. There will undoubtably be a recall of troops. Good luck recalling me. I'm going to live out in the Outback, away from as much civilazation that I can.

Wish I could accuratly predice the future, but there are so many varibles to consider.

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
The one thing that people tend to leave out of the equation while making accusations(sp?) of when we are going to run out of oil is the most important factor.

Technology

If you think we are going to be living damn near the same way we live now in 20 years you may be in a shack up nord in wi-sconsin eh.

phil
Old 09-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Certified Porschephile

Ok so if I support the current administration I'm a blind patriot, but if I look at the a$$ backwards other side that changes positions daily and made up my mind they are bigger idiots (sad but true) I'm not? Being called a "Blind Patriot" is the left wing liberal insult when they can't challenge the truth. Anyone that OBJECTIVLY looks at ALL the issues can't possibly believe kerry is the answer.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Phil & Belha

PA_SVX, please don't be offended, I wasn't specifically refering to you.

All I meant by that comment was that I admire people who look at the facts, ask the right questions and make up their own minds rather than believing everything they hear and passing on that belief to others.

For the record, I don't follow US politics closely enough to know whether Bush or Kerry would make a better president for you.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
For the record, I don't follow US politics closely enough to know whether Bush or Kerry would make a better president for you.
I suspect a sizeable number of us wish there were a NONE OF THE ABOVE checkbox on the ballot.

dcb
Old 09-10-2004, 10:06 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

I suspect a sizeable number of us wish there were a NONE OF THE ABOVE checkbox on the ballot.

dcb
There's always Nader......

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

There's always Nader......
Naw, man, I wanna write-in Hillary.

dcb
(ducking and running now.)
Old 09-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Certified Porschephile

You better Darrell!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Exclamation

To bring the thread back on-subject... there are some things I thought today while driving that I thought might interest people regarding that flash animation.

First of all, there's the "wake" or "wash" effect on the cars on the highway. Sorry, but the person who created this knows VERY little about aviation and aerodynamics. The simple fact is (and one that EVERY flight student should know) is that a plane creates the greatest wake when the aircraft is flying SLOWLY. Not fast. If I were a hijacker attempting to destroy a building with a tin can that just happened to know how to fly, I'd be at full throttle aiming the nose for the building in question. Maximum impact, potentially maximum damage... minimal evidence.

Next there's the speed of something that light and really quite flimsy hitting a relatively immovable object... say a large cement block with holes in it (a reasonable description of the Pentagon). The effect of velocity combined with the actual relative mass of each object means that the plane will be pretty much obliterated... and what isn't will tend to continue travelling into the structure where it would inevitably be consumed by fire (the coke can in the campfire springs to mind here). Believe me, the aluminum most aircraft are made of is barely thicker and of roughly the same quality as the aluminum used in coke cans!

Finally, there's the "whoosh" that sounded like a missile "... not like a plane at all..." as the flash quotes. Well, honestly... raise your hands... how many of you have actually stood 100 feet away from a jet engine at full throttle? I'm willing to bet that not many have... and no... being INSIDE the plane doesn't count. I have... several times. A jet engine creates unusual harmonics in the wings and other surrounding structures at about 85-90% thrust and above... this can lead to a sound that's not quite like a roaring jet engine... more like a screaming tearing sound. Ever seen the Blue Angels perform? That's probably pretty close to what ANY jet engine sounds like at full throttle... not just the Military engines. Just because commercial aviation rarely uses greater than 80% power below 18,000 feet MSL doesn't mean you can't. Also understand that jet engines aren't as docile as the general public seems to think they are... they can make a noise that can be heard from a LARGE distance. There are times I hear F15's jets taking off from St. Louis Lambert International... the sound is unmistakable... and I live 15 miles away from there!

Just some food for thought. Obviously a compelling theory and fun for conspiracy theorists... but doesn't really hold much weight once under scrutiny. And yes... look at the scale of the holes in the wall of the Pentagon... they're definitely large enough for a 757 fuselage hitting dead on and straight.

And as a pilot... no... keeping a plane straight and level doesn't take much practice or indeed is hard. Taking off CAN be difficult... landing is tricky and infinitely variable. Pointing a plane at a target and hitting it? Probably easier than you think, especially when the target's the size of the Pentagon.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
First of all, there's the "wake" or "wash" effect on the cars on the highway. Sorry, but the person who created this knows VERY little about aviation and aerodynamics. The simple fact is (and one that EVERY flight student should know) is that a plane creates the greatest wake when the aircraft is flying SLOWLY. Not fast.
This is true, the greatest "wake" is caused by an aircraft that is "dirty, heavy and slow"

Another thing I'd like to point out, is anyone who has ever driven the Grand Central Parkway in Queens NY, past Laguardia airport has had a commercial airliner come over the top of their car at an altitude of aprox 75' (less if on the service road that runs between the runway and the GCP) and not been blown off the road by it. And LGA sure isn't the only airport in the country to have a highway close to the landing/departure path's.

even still, ya gotta luv conspiracy theories!

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 09-11-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:24 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yeah i can attest to that. I live near westchester airport and when driving on I-684 planes fly veryyyy low when they are trying to get to the runway which is right near the highway. The same when you go to LaGuardia airport. Planes fly very low to the highway.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-11-2004, 03:45 PM

Re: Some people aren't going to like this.

Quote:
We are less than 10 years away from a huge oil crisis (Global Peak Oil).
I don't really believe anyone one this site (or the country for that matter) really cares about the impending oil crisis. Even if we are 20-50 years away from an oil crisis, why are we driving gas sucking SVX's?

I know the Pruis isn't sexy or fast, nor is living close to work, taking the bus, or...say, walking or peddling a bike.

If we all ****-canned our SVX's, SUV's and other fuel hogs, and actually made a point to conserve our resources, we might actually stave off the oil crisis for another month or two.

Or we consume all the oil we can are screw ourselves even more.

We are all plucked anyway.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Certified Porschephile

Who invited Nader anyway? What a sour attitude. The current administration is answering directly to the people. Securing a natural resource is the number one reason for armed conflict in the first place. Short of possiblely religion, which is a dumber reason. When the American people buy huge SUV's and trucks, and high performance cars with low mpg, that's the message you send. If no one bought them that would be different. This is a free market society and our leaders need to answer to our wishes. The people that cry about the war are the one *****ing about fuel prices. You can't have it both ways. If GM decides it will only sell high milage cars, people will buy from ford. That's how free market works.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:38 PM
BoondockSVX

Re: Re: Some people aren't going to like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by manofmayo
I know the Pruis isn't sexy or fast, nor is living close to work, taking the bus, or...say, walking or peddling a bike.
I think the current prius is pretty cool. It might not be a blast to drive, but I think it has a cool 'jetsons' style to it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: