How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-07-2001, 07:44 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Faster..Faster......Faster...........FASTER

I get on the highway this morning and I am cruising along at 65 and tap the throttle. Instantly the car responds and goes faster. What is this? I never noticed this before. Is it the new TPS? Is it the colder air? (60F) I tap the throttle again and the car doing 80. It just jumps to 80 with no effort at all. It talks to me. Yea lets go faster.... The car wants to go faster. I can hear it talking to me.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:25 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Faster..Faster......Faster...........FASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I get on the highway this morning and I am cruising along at 65 and tap the throttle. Instantly the car responds and goes faster. What is this? I never noticed this before. Is it the new TPS? Is it the colder air? (60F) I tap the throttle again and the car doing 80. It just jumps to 80 with no effort at all. It talks to me. Yea lets go faster.... The car wants to go faster. I can hear it talking to me.
Lately I have noticed that too once in a while without the power light going off. I am not sure what it is too. Sometime though I don't have to put a heavy lead foot to get the powerlight to go off at all. just a tiny tap and on comes the powerlight. Sometimes I am putting bricks down and no powerlight.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-08-2001, 05:42 AM
SVXtypeR

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up...

For the past six years, I thought I was the only one subject to this phenomena. Most times, I find that if I drive normally (read: hard) the car has sluggish response! After coming from a long road trip (sustained high speeds, 90+ MPH) the car responds instantly! What's even more strange, her handling goes up a notch as well. The bushings suddenly feel tight to the point of almost no slop, as if a bunch of performance elves installed delrin and carsan bushings while I was asleep.

My conspiracy theory is partially cold air + moisture. I'm thinking that maybe cold moist air causes the bushings to swell and harden removing the slop from the suspension. The benefits to engine power go without saying. As far as how suddenly the condition sets in and goes away? Well, that's where the elves come in...
Old 11-08-2001, 06:55 AM
Lowered SVX

on hot humid days.......forget it.

right now in memphis it is about 70 and no humidity. my car is like a rocket. powerlight comes on immediately and the car seems to really pull throughout the entire powerband.

like seraphim i too sometimes cannot get my powerlight to disengage. it really is odd. sometimes my car launches from a dead stop and spins the tires and other times i feel like i have 200lbs of bricks in the trunk. it feels completely random, but thankfully it usually acts right so the car feels responsive and is fun to drive.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 07:56 AM
Henry

Air charge density and performance

Even a small difference in the density of the air charge can make a significant performance difference. I once installed a better intercooler in my Buick (dropping air charge by about 3 deg C), and picked up 1/4 second on the G-Tech!

As temperature and humidity both fall, you SHOULD notice a change. Temperature for the obvious reason: denser air. Humidity because the more water molecules per gram of air, the fewer oxygen molecules, hence more O2 at a given density.

There's also a seasonal increase in O2 content - that's really slight, but again, it doesn't take much.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Faster..Faster......Faster...........FASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Lately I have noticed that too once in a while without the power light going off. I am not sure what it is too. Sometime though I don't have to put a heavy lead foot to get the powerlight to go off at all. just a tiny tap and on comes the powerlight. Sometimes I am putting bricks down and no powerlight.

Lwin
When power mode is engaged is determined not just by how far you push the pedal, but how quickly you do it.

You don't have to floor it to get power mode engaged - you just have to press it quickly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-08-2001, 12:03 PM
Lowered SVX

i agree mr. pockets.

but sometimes in my svx it doesnt matter how quickly you press the accelerator the power light will not come on.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 12:06 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree with Mr. P. Remember the SVX has a learning computer - after enough times of seeing certain inputs it adjusts its programming to be more in sync with driver demands.

I remember my SVX and how it responded. These cars were one of the first few that used variable intake manifolding. As such you'll find that not flooring them from a light will yield a much quicker response. The cause of the delay when flooring from low speed is the sudden air dump without the benefit of an accelerator pump, ala carburetors. The mixture is lean and it takes the computer and fuel system a little time to catch up. I think you'll find that just pressing the pedal down about a 1/3 and waiting for the engine to gather itself up before continuing to floor it will show you much better results than just stomping it down to the floor.

Beav
Old 11-08-2001, 12:10 PM
Lowered SVX

hey beav.....

that was a different perspective than i have heard before. i think i actually understood that. because it does seem like when i hit the gas about half way and then really get on it is when it responds best. thanks for the advice.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-08-2001, 12:27 PM
Not as old as Randy

Yeah, it's kinda like what the ricey-bike pilots call 'getting up on the pipe'. Due to camshaft and manifolding, timing controls and exhaust the bigger and more wild bikes are fairly strong to about 4000-6000 r's then look out! That's when everything comes together and the bike tries to fly out from under you. Now you can understand the lay down position - it's not for starting from a standstill as much as it is when you're already going 60+ mph...
<big, evil, wicked grin>
Old 11-08-2001, 03:26 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR
For the past six years, I thought I was the only one subject to this phenomena. Most times, I find that if I drive normally (read: hard) the car has sluggish response! After coming from a long road trip (sustained high speeds, 90+ MPH) the car responds instantly! What's even more strange, her handling goes up a notch as well. The bushings suddenly feel tight to the point of almost no slop, as if a bunch of performance elves installed delrin and carsan bushings while I was asleep.........

Well, that's where the elves come in...
Hmmmm if we add the price of elves to this car it's going to be more than priceless.

I am gald I am not alone on this. But I still can't figure out how the ECU can adjust the suspension
Old 11-08-2001, 03:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Talking

Maybe the oil in your struts has leaked out and they're starting to bind up from all of the friction...heheheheh