How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Green96LSI

Unhappy Another Transmission Bites the Dust

My new to me '96 LSi, with only 44K miles, transmission failed. It started with missing shifts between gears when cold, and moved quickly to missing on hills and some curves. Thankfully, it's still covered under the original factory Drivetrain Warranty! It going to be offline for two weeks. Any advise on keeping the new "Subaru Rebuilt" transmission alive?
Old 11-02-2001, 02:39 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Another Transmission Bites the Dust

Quote:
Originally posted by Green96LSI
My new to me '96 LSi, with only 44K miles, transmission failed. It started with missing shifts between gears when cold, and moved quickly to missing on hills and some curves. Thankfully, it's still covered under the original factory Drivetrain Warranty! It going to be offline for two weeks. Any advise on keeping the new "Subaru Rebuilt" transmission alive?
Geez! I thought the 96's were supposed to be immune to tranny problems. Slap an auxilliary cooler in that sucker while she's in the air -- Personally, I'd parallel it, but there are different schools of thought. That's the ONLY thing I can think of -- unless you want the added expense of Synthetic ATF. Redline is the flavor of Choice, but Mobil 1 also comes highly recommended.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-05-2001, 04:19 PM
Lowered SVX

do not parallel it!

randy he has got to bypass it. just get rid of all the factory cooler altogether.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-05-2001, 05:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: do not parallel it!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
randy he has got to bypass it. just get rid of all the factory cooler altogether.
It doesn't really matter how he wants it done - if a Subaru dealership is replacing the transmission, I guarantee they won't install an aux. cooler while it's in their posession.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-05-2001, 08:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: do not parallel it!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
No, he doesn't *got* to by-pass. Mine's in parallel, which is what the re-builder recommended. Anybody can obviously do what makes 'em feel good. I'm fine with the parallel setup. It only means that if the stock cooler clogs, fluid still has a path.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-06-2001, 06:41 AM
Lowered SVX

why mess with the "if"

bypass and be done. just my thoughts i suppose everyone doesnt have to agree. i knew you wouldnt anyway randy
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-06-2001, 09:25 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
it's quite a surprise to me that your '96 LSi w/ only 44k's tranny failed. i read from yahoo site. if i remember right, a very senior member said (who?? shh*) that '96/'97 they improved some kinda hydraulic valve(s)&some design(s) in the tranny so the ATF will flow faster to release the heat. i thought '96/'97 could last like 100K and up.

what do you need to do to keep the new tranny? i'm sure that's lot of experts out here to tell you. you've to do your assignment this time. i'm not good enough to guide anything... parallel or what or what you have to find out!! for mine, after the first tranny failed, then my two little coolers were installed like a 'V' shape in front of my condensor. i don't know why but just for your reference and i'm not sure about the rest. ( why? why? why? any expert know why pls tell me?! ) the settings came with the car. new tranny then two coolers so i bought it. in the cold morning, my tranny has no prob of warming up. after 3-5mins driving, it'll shift to fourth gear smoothly.

BTW, where do u live? how long you owe the car? are the first owner? are you sure that's enough ATF in there? do you change it often? what kind of weather & driving conditions you have? cold/hot & dusty&heavy traffics?? how do you drive your svx? your driving style? enough asked. try to figure out why....?

but, last, congrats on you, after two weeks offline, your svx will be newer w/ the new tranny. be sure to take nice care of it. i'm admiring. and it's free!!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-07-2001, 05:01 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Any advise on keeping the new "Subaru Rebuilt" transmission alive?
Which dealer is doing the work?
Old 11-09-2001, 06:11 PM
uconnscott

I had a tranny cooler installed in mine when my radiator went (at 73k) . I went the parellel route. Car has been driving great so far........all of 3k! Anyway I hope your new tranny treats you better. Hey, at least it is still covered. It is probably a blessing in disguise!: