How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Question Turning/Machining Rotors (Aftermarket)

Can you turn/machine aftermarket rotors that are X-drilled, Slotted, dimpled or a combination of these?

Has anyone had their X-drilled, Slotted, or dimpled rotors WARP before, especially if they were from RaceConcepts.net?

"One day, when I'm all grown up..."
Old 04-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I had my front dimple drilled/slotted rotors from RACECONCEPTS.NET turned just last weekend. They look great. Any competent machine shop should be able to do it.

- Rob
Old 04-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Also: Yes, I 'thought' my raceconcepts rotors were warped...but rotors don't ever warp.

Read this whole page:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Basically, you overheated your pads, and your pads were probably not really good pads. Get some Axxis MM or Ultimates. It shouldn't happen again.

- Rob
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Question Thanks and another question.

Thanks Rob for your response. I have questions for you... I'm between getting the Dimpled -or- the Dimpled & Slotted rotors.

I want my brakes to be as quiet as possible, and I've heard that when raceconcept rotors are slotted they make a slight "shhhh shhhh shhh" sound. Do you hear anything with yours?

"One day, when I'm all grown up..."
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

No, they're quiet. I don't hear anything from them. In retrospect, I would have preferred getting JUST slotted....but... >shrug<

Oh well. I don't really think it matters.... the more holes there are, the less surface area for the pad...so... solid would probably be best. The whole 'dimple drilled/slotted' thing is just for looks; it was ORIGINALLY to help pads disperse gas given off (but I've read that was mainly for asbestos pads, which almost nobody uses anymore), and the drilled holes were to let water into, so the pads wouldn't hydroplane on the rotor (more of a problem with motorcycles).

Basically, get whatever you think looks cooler.

- Rob
Old 04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
MikeInd

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Also: Yes, I 'thought' my raceconcepts rotors were warped...but rotors don't ever warp.

Read this whole page:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Basically, you overheated your pads, and your pads were probably not really good pads. Get some Axxis MM or Ultimates. It shouldn't happen again.

- Rob

So, My question then is: If I put ithe rotor on a milling machine and then check the "Run Out" if the needle/guage makes contact one side and then on the same side then your turn the rotor 90%- 180% and makes no contact.....what is that?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Did you read the link, or just read the title? I quote the fourth paragraph:

"and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not.

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc.* This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.

Read the link. Basically, uneven pad deposits lead to certain PARTS of the rotor turning into cementite, and other parts being regular metal. It then wears unevenly. I could keep going...but.. just read the page. It's all on there.

- Rob