How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2004, 07:21 AM
vikesfandan

Pulley Problem

My main front pulley came loose yesterday. I tried to tighten the one bolt on it back up, but once it gets so tight, the pulley wheel then rotates with it. It came loose again as soon as I started the car. There are two small holes spaced approximately 1/2" apart on the face of the pulley wheel. Are these holes for some special tool needed to hold the pulley wheel allowing me to tighten it adequately?

Two other related questions....is there a bearing in there that may have gone bad also from this being loose and is there a torque spec for this pulley?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I use a BIG strap wrench to hold the pulley. Yes there is a special tool that fits the two face holes in the pulley. Check the face of the crank face of the pulley that mates to the crank. I hope these are not damaged. When the mating faces are not flat and not in contect with each other, it will be harder for the pulley to stay in place. The torque value I'm sure but I thinks it is around 120 ft-lbs. Is it in the How-To?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:36 AM
vikesfandan

Thanks for the info. How do I check the crank face and how would I know if they are making proper contact?
Old 04-06-2004, 02:27 AM
SVX Appeal

Is there no key for the main pulley? My GL Wagon has a cold pin for a key, and every main pulley on every car I can think of has had a key.

Check to see if there is a keyway for one. Maybe there isn't, but this'll be the first car I've seen that doesn't have one.

Be careful with the strap wrench. Depending on the design of the wrench, you can bend the pulley. I've never removed the pulley on my SVX, but on my 1.8 litre GL, you remove a plug above the flywheel and insert a tool to keep the engine from rotating. I don't know what the torque value is, but 120 ft/lbs is a LOT, so if it doesn't break the bolt, your strap wrench may certainly bend the pulley.

Sorry... I'll stop nagging. ...but check for a keyway and before you go out, are you wearing clean underwear?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:05 AM
vikesfandan

I'll make sure I have clean skivvies on, why, I'm not sure, but hey if it will help, I'm game. I plan to tackle this again Wed. night. Will follow your guys' advice and see what I find out. Please check back Thurs. morn to see how it went. I will likely have more questions.

Thanks for the help! If I can't fix this one for a few hundred dollars or less, another SVX will likely be headed for the boneyard, I've sunk too much into this car already, but do enjoy it and would hate to see that happen.