Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Open letter to the Moderators

I'm very concerned over the recent closing of the Mac rumor thread. What was happening there was not a personal attack? It was an expression meant to instruct. Sometimes that type of statement has an "open my eyes" result that goes both ways. I don't feel that I said anything to offend anyone. Even if I did, that person has the right to hear (or read) what was said. The reasons that I'm here are the close friends that I have made with common interests and to find out as much about this wonderful car that most of us here either own or want.

I don't want to start pointing fingers at any single moderator, but Nazi regulations and censorship should not be a part of this group. I'm all for the moderation of language and the relegation of posts to pertinent Forums. However stifling the free expression of feelings and potential conversations should not be the moderators’ prerogative.

This forum is like a schoolyard. Sometimes you learn good stuff and sometimes you find out things that shouldn't be shared in polite company. Sometimes the kids fight. But ya know what, as in many human social relationships, those that were fighting come to be the best of friends... It's only by exploring the limits of a relationship that one can form a lasting bond. \
So here's my plea. Please don't turn into Storm troopers here. Moderate the language and watch the personal attacks, but watch out for the stifling behavior that comes from over zealous prosecution.
Thank you
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Open letter to the Moderators

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I don't want to start pointing fingers at any single moderator, but Nazi regulations and censorship should not be a part of this group. I'm all for the moderation of language and the relegation of posts to pertinent Forums. However stifling the free expression of feelings and potential conversations should not be the moderators’ prerogative.

Like I told you yesterday on the IRC, people should not provoke each other. In this particular case, I don't see anything wrong with closing and moving of the thread. It was going downhill.

If a member goes out of line (in the opinion of the moderator(s)), they are given the right to pull the thread. Sometimes it might be overboard. (ie usage of the colourful word h3ll) but in the case of the aformentioned thread, you were asking for it.

Quote:
So there... you got it straight from the horses...errrr.... mouth

Yes Rob... I've taken you off ignore... because as I've decided to take on the roll of the official conscience of the SVX-net, I must now make those little comments to keep people aware of the soul of the community...
I have no Idea what I just said... although it made sense to me at the time I said it .
I am not sure how Rob thinks but if I were Rob, I would not want to see it. If he makes an ass of himself, let the moderators deal with it. Adding more fuel to the fire will only make bigger fire.

Don't give the guy the attention he wants. It'll go away.

Lwin (equal opportunity offender)

edit: if anyone wants to talk about my personal opinion on this and many other issues, I am in the IRC room #SVX every night.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 04-01-2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Personally, I think this should have remained private, but here it is, so let's go.

In this case, here's what happened. GreenMarine started a thread in this forum, and it was in my opinion totally innocuous. At some point people started bickering. We, the moderators, received complaints. Here's how we responded:

1. I sent PMs to two of the parties involved. What I said to them was for their eyes only, but it was meant to curb such outbursts in the future.

2. Doug split the thread. The cancerous half of the thread, the part containing the stupid argument, was moved to a forum that only the moderators and admins have access to. We keep things there for future reference. The rest of it he left, but closed. There was little or nothing to be gained by leaving it open, and doing so would probably have resulted in a similar argument anyway.

This is part of our job as moderators, guys. We keep the peace by moderating discussions. That doesn't mean 'Nazi censorship' - it just means that when things get ugly, we separate the parties involved and ask them politely not to do it any more. There's a fine line - arguing is okay, but bickering is not. When an argument turns personal, what does that add to the group? Why should we not step in?

It's not censorship, guys - it's moderation.

We also handle complaints we get about members' behavior, inappropriate language, etc.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
You insulted me. You insulted Phil. You've sent me PMs calling me an ignorant troll. You've called Phil ignorant.

Please don't do it again.

- Rob
Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
You insulted me. You insulted Phil. You've sent me PMs calling me an ignorant troll. You've called Phil ignorant.

Please don't do it again.

- Rob
we could compare the PM. thing.. and this could be off line if your box were not full. but... it's not so please refer to the other thread so that the moderators don't close another because of us..ok?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
2. Doug split the thread. The cancerous half of the thread, the part containing the stupid argument, was moved to a forum that only the moderators and admins have access to. We keep things there for future reference. The rest of it he left, but closed. There was little or nothing to be gained by leaving it open, and doing so would probably have resulted in a similar argument anyway.
To elaborate, I had split off the bad stuff, but more kept popping over a period I was watching it so I closed it and moved those last posts to the hidden area.

If people would have been able to talk about the subject again instead of posting only things to insult another it would have remained open.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-01-2004, 12:25 PM
JLittell

Geez I hope this wasn't the same thread regarding the 'Speak & Spell' debauchery!
Old 04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
Geez I hope this wasn't the same thread regarding the 'Speak & Spell' debauchery!
I missed that one?
Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
JLittell

You never had a 'Speak & Spell' Mitch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2541

MAC, PC, Speak & Spell...all the same
Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell
You never had a 'Speak & Spell' Mitch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2541

MAC, PC, Speak & Spell...all the same
I'd heard of them... But I didn't get the controversy part..

Did it get censored too?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Oh god.... What have I started??? I was only courious as to why the thread was closed, nothing more... I didn't want to start an attack on the moderators at all. I'll try to keep my mouth shut from now on about things that are "out of my pay grade"... Plain and simple, the moderators are here to keep us in line... I guess I am kinda trying to relate it to the military a little... That is helping me see it alittle better I didn't mean to start an arguement... I'll just respect the moderators for what they do and not make anything out of anything else that gets posted... Lets all just shake hands (or whateverelse ya like to do ) and be friends... Apoligize for insults and move on huh??? That sounds alot more peaceful than feeling anger twards someone that ya will probably never meet (unless ya go to Reading )

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-02-2004, 12:01 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
In the future, you might want to PM the mod that close the thread. The mods normally leave the last message saying it's closed

Kind of like kilroy was here crap
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
In the future, you might want to PM the mod that close the thread. The mods normally leave the last message saying it's closed

Kind of like kilroy was here crap
Or in my case "Kiljoy"

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

I'd heard of them... But I didn't get the controversy part..

Did it get censored too?

I had my tongue in my cheek when I wrote that...

Hey Marine... lighten up ... I'm only trying to Rouse the Rabble...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: