Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
What do you want me to finish? The mac one? It's being worked on.

- Rob

PS: My 1992 had a new updated tranny put in it in 1999, so my transmission SUPPOSEDLY has all the updates.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
What do you want me to finish? The mac one? It's being worked on.

- Rob

PS: My 1992 had a new updated tranny put in it in 1999, so my transmission SUPPOSEDLY has all the updates.
The Mac intelligence vs. PC intelligence one, the Toyota vs. Chrysler Reliability and Quality one, The Hacking is legal vs. illegal one, More government involvement in regulating business one...

Did I miss any? Anyone?

Well I do miss the funny Landshark comments. .

I guess someone would have to quote me so that Rob can see my post. Last I checked I was on permanent ignore.

Harry (Ignore, the only way to win!)

Last edited by Noir; 03-23-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:02 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

The Mac intelligence vs. PC intelligence one, the Toyota vs. Chrysler Reliability and Quality one, The Hacking is legal vs. illegal one, More government involvement in regulating business one...

Did I miss any? Anyone?

Well I do miss the funny Landshark comments. .

I guess someone would have to quote me so that Rob can see my post. Last I checked I was on permanent ignore.

Harry (Ignore, the only way to win!)

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Certified Porschephile

Landshark vs Chicane, hmmm. Let's see, I did have a round around with Rob aways back over drug use and reckless driving, but after his intial beligerant behavior, he did calm down and act and respond reasonably. As for Alan, him and I have had some great back and forth witisisims (sp?) that are truly memorable to me. Gotta love the shark. He and I have seen eye to eye alot, almost too much!!!! Maybe we should at least back up a step though. Just to keep the peace and all.

Dan (aka SVX-net Switzerland!!!)
Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Landshark vs Chicane, hmmm. Let's see, I did have a round around with Rob aways back over drug use and reckless driving, but after his intial beligerant behavior, he did calm down and act and respond reasonably. As for Alan, him and I have had some great back and forth witisisims (sp?) that are truly memorable to me. Gotta love the shark. He and I have seen eye to eye alot, almost too much!!!! Maybe we should at least back up a step though. Just to keep the peace and all.

Dan (aka SVX-net Switzerland!!!)
Someone call Jack Daniels and have him arm wrestle Landshark. I tell you, Jack always wins .

Switzerland...that reminds me, one tired night driving in Tampa, Florida, I passed a sign that read "Welcome to Switzerland!" on some 2 lane roads. I thought to myself, damn I didn't know I drove that far . Any Tampa people know where I'm talking about?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
The hacker one is easy. First off, who here listens to Off the Hook? Who reads 2600? Apparently, it's just myself and Seraph. Which means the REST of you... you get ALL of your hacker information from the MEDIA. And the media LOVES hackers. They love blaming hackers. They love using the terminology incorrectly. They love programming your minds for you, so you don't ever have to think. At least I listen to both sides of the issue, which is more than any of you guys can say about it. And basically, you are just COMPLETELY misinformed. Hackers are not trying to break into computers, that is NOT the main hacker thing. The main thing about being a hacker is the DESIRE to know how things work, and why things work. If you take things apart, are intrigued by how they work, enjoy fixing things, enjoy modding things, or countless other technology related actions, you are being a hacker. Sure, some hackers use their computers to access other people's computers..... but to clear up a few misconceptions, hackers do NOT write or distribute virii. Hackers have NOTHING to do with virii. Hackers are also not interested in your personal computer, because they don't care about you, or what you do. Sure, they might be interested in your wireless connection (heh), but that's pretty much it. Our very own Davie Gravy here is a HACKER, because he hacks the Dish network using (i'm guessing) either a linux box or a PC to emulate the different type of dish network cards. Porter? He's 'hacked' the SVXs suspension. Huck? He hacked the first 5spd into an SVX. Basically, the reason you guys attacked hackers is because you're ignorant of who hackers are, and what they do.

The Mac vs PC one is being worked on, though I would like some help. Basically, just answer this question: How can you tell if someone is an intelligent human being? What would make you call them highly intelligent? Thanks.

As for the Toyota VS Chrysler one.... I don't even feel like continuing. No matter what I say, even if Chrysler built the perfect car, Landshark and a few others would always hate it. Whatever. It's obvious no matter what, nothing will ever change his mind, it's permanently closed.

- Chicane
Old 03-23-2004, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The hacker one is easy. First off, who here listens to Off the Hook? Who reads 2600? Apparently, it's just myself and Seraph. Which means the REST of you... you get ALL of your hacker information from the MEDIA. And the media LOVES hackers. They love blaming hackers. They love using the terminology incorrectly. They love programming your minds for you, so you don't ever have to think. At least I listen to both sides of the issue, which is more than any of you guys can say about it. And basically, you are just COMPLETELY misinformed. Hackers are not trying to break into computers, that is NOT the main hacker thing. The main thing about being a hacker is the DESIRE to know how things work, and why things work. If you take things apart, are intrigued by how they work, enjoy fixing things, enjoy modding things, or countless other technology related actions, you are being a hacker. Sure, some hackers use their computers to access other people's computers..... but to clear up a few misconceptions, hackers do NOT write or distribute virii. Hackers have NOTHING to do with virii. Hackers are also not interested in your personal computer, because they don't care about you, or what you do. Sure, they might be interested in your wireless connection (heh), but that's pretty much it. Our very own Davie Gravy here is a HACKER, because he hacks the Dish network using (i'm guessing) either a linux box or a PC to emulate the different type of dish network cards. Porter? He's 'hacked' the SVXs suspension. Huck? He hacked the first 5spd into an SVX. Basically, the reason you guys attacked hackers is because you're ignorant of who hackers are, and what they do.
yay. Hi Rob. Welcome back!

Ok. First on hacking. I was only referring to hacking of computers via internet. I was saying is that hacking other computers on someone else's network is illegal. Entry without consent via security flaws isn't legal. That's what I'm saying. The sames goes for 'hacking' buildings. I was not referring to other 'hacks' as you have mentioned above. I never said hackers distribute virii. You added the term 'virii' to the soup.

Davie Gravy maybe a 'hacker' but he is also a 'cracker' too. If Davie Gravy is 'hacking' a Dish network box (which I've done as well to show a friend of mine who now uses it religiously to get free cable and who I informed to use at his own risk because it is illegal) and continues to use the 'hacked' system to enjoy all the lovely free channels that Dish has to offer, that is 'theft of service' and is prosecutable because 'theft of service' is illegal. Maybe hacking the box is legal (you own the box, you can grow corn out of the box if you want to by applying seeds, soil, and water)** but stealing Dish network's service is not. Am I right?

FYI - I don't have cable or any Satellite dish. I don't watch TV at all.

I've hacked systems(on the internet that I do not own or work for) before. Shucks, it's part of the job, but I always knew that what I was doing was 'illegal'. And I've physically 'hacked' a large telecom at 3am. Pretty fun wandering around the different floors and seeing how high I could go. My intent? To get in/out and see what security measures they use. Maybe send them a letter telling them how their security sucks. Legal? Don't know, but if I was caught, would I go to jail? Yup. Never a doubt in my mind. Nor any of the other people that I know who do the same. We knew that if we were to get caught, we were going to be nailed to the cross pretty hard.

Quote:
The Mac vs PC one is being worked on, though I would like some help. Basically, just answer this question: How can you tell if someone is an intelligent human being? What would make you call them highly intelligent? Thanks.
As explained before, someone who is intelligent would be one who scores average on a test that uses word and number puzzles, maths and diagrams to test the spatial, verbal and numerical and logical ability to the limit in the native language of that person. Anyone who scores lower would be less intelligent and one who scores higher would have higher intelligence.

Quote:
As for the Toyota VS Chrysler one.... I don't even feel like continuing. No matter what I say, even if Chrysler built the perfect car, Landshark and a few others would always hate it. Whatever. It's obvious no matter what, nothing will ever change his mind, it's permanently closed.
Who cares what Landshark and a few others think? Remember Rob, we are trying to discuss facts and not opinions. Landshark likes chocolate and you like vanilla. No one's taste is better or worse, both are good flavors. I was just proving to you with some figures that show the number of reported problems by owners in a 3 year span of ownership. More problems were reported with Chrysler vehicles than Toyota vehicles which makes Toyota manufacturer more reliable and better quality production vehicles compared to the Chrysler manufacturer as a whole. European cars were also mentioned and the figures showed that owners of European cars over the same 3 year span had a higher number of problems than previous years. That means that the reliability and quality of the vehicle was beginning to decline and the gap between European cars and domestic cars were shrinking. That's all my point was. No one ever said one car or manufacturer is perfect and without design flaws.

**corny analogy, but true.

- Harry (Waiting to be proved wrong or right.)

---may need someone to quote-----probably still on /ignore.

Last edited by Noir; 03-23-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yay. Hi Rob. Welcome back!

Ok. First on hacking. I was only referring to hacking of computers via internet. I was saying is that hacking other computers on someone else's network is illegal. Entry without consent via security flaws isn't legal. That's what I'm saying. The sames goes for 'hacking' buildings. I was not referring to other 'hacks' as you have mentioned above. I never said hackers distribute virii. You added the term 'virii' to the soup.

Davie Gravy maybe a 'hacker' but he is also a 'cracker' too. If Davie Gravy is 'hacking' a Dish network box (which I've done as well to show a friend of mine who now uses it religiously to get free cable and who I informed to use at his own risk because it is illegal) and continues to use the 'hacked' system to enjoy all the lovely free channels that Dish has to offer, that is 'theft of service' and is prosecutable because 'theft of service' is illegal. Maybe hacking the box is legal (you own the box, you can grow corn out of the box if you want to by applying seeds, soil, and water)** but stealing Dish network's service is not. Am I right?

FYI - I don't have cable or any Satellite dish. I don't watch TV at all.

I've hacked systems(on the internet that I do not own or work for) before. Shucks, it's part of the job, but I always knew that what I was doing was 'illegal'. And I've physically 'hacked' a large telecom at 3am. Pretty fun wandering around the different floors and seeing how high I could go. My intent? To get in/out and see what security measures they use. Maybe send them a letter telling them how their security sucks. Legal? Don't know, but if I was caught, would I go to jail? Yup. Never a doubt in my mind. Nor any of the other people that I know who do the same. We knew that if we were to get caught, we were going to be nailed to the cross pretty hard.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As explained before, someone who is intelligent would be one who scores average on a test that uses word and number puzzles, maths and diagrams to test the spatial, verbal and numerical and logical ability to the limit in the native language of that person. Anyone who scores lower would be less intelligent and one who scores higher would have higher intelligence.

quote:

Who cares what Landshark and a few others think? Remember Rob, we are trying to discuss facts and not opinions. Landshark likes chocolate and you like vanilla. No one's taste is better or worse, both are good flavors. I was just proving to you with some figures that show the number of reported problems by owners in a 3 year span of ownership. More problems were reported with Chrysler vehicles than Toyota vehicles which makes Toyota manufacturer more reliable and better quality production vehicles compared to the Chrysler manufacturer as a whole. European cars were also mentioned and the figures showed that owners of European cars over the same 3 year span had a higher number of problems than previous years. That means that the reliability and quality of the vehicle was beginning to decline and the gap between European cars and domestic cars were shrinking. That's all my point was. No one ever said one car or manufacturer is perfect and without design flaws.

---may need someone to quote-----probably still on /ignore.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Don't even waste your time dude. First - this will accomplish absolutely nothing. Second - your goal here is unattainable. You can't seriously say that you believe that there is any correlation between a persons intellectual ability and the computer they use. That's just insanely stupid. Plus, that would mean dummies use Macs cause you would be one if you believe that.

Quote:
Toyotas are NO better than Chrysler. My uncle is a service manager at the local Toyota dealer here, and he would rather buy a three-legged race horse than a Toyota. The problem is that Subarites (residents of this alternate universe) have this fragile false sense of security in thinking that Subarus are just the greatest thing to happen to this world since sunlight. Trying to tell them otherwise will just earn you the label "da devil" and turn everyone against you.

Remember the Waterboys "mamma"? "you don't buy no American car Bobby Bouche, American cars are DA DEVIL"
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You're da devil
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
No one ever said one car or manufacturer is perfect and without design flaws.

"You are both right AND wrong".

John Kerry.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
The problem is that Subarites (residents of this alternate universe) have this fragile false sense of security in thinking that Subarus are just the greatest thing to happen to this world since sunlight.
no, but they've been more reliable so far than the many American cars i've owned in my life.
quite the opposite - the domestic supporters have the fragile ego and must constantly defend their purchases. "parts are cheep! they aren't built that bad!"

guess what? i don't care. buy GM, buy Chynsler! drive them with a big frickin' grin! i'll go with what i like, thanks.

Alan (really not hypmo-tized by Subaru)
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Toyotas are NO better than Chrysler. My uncle is a service manager at the local Toyota dealer here, and he would rather buy a three-legged race horse than a Toyota. The problem is that Subarites (residents of this alternate universe) have this fragile false sense of security in thinking that Subarus are just the greatest thing to happen to this world since sunlight. Trying to tell them otherwise will just earn you the label "da devil" and turn everyone against you.

Remember the Waterboys "mamma"? "you don't buy no American car Bobby Bouche, American cars are DA DEVIL"
Shadow, depends on what you are comparing. We were discussing the general reliablility and quality of products created by those two companies. I showed a JD Power report that showed Chrysler has more different problems reported than Toyota. Not saying which company is better, just with less problems and are slightly more reliable. Nothings perfect. Not even the SVX.

I have a Toyota. It's ok...will I buy another one? probably not with the supra as an exception.

I have a Chevy. It's ok...will I buy another one? probably if I need another truck.

I have a Subaru. I like it...will I buy another one? definitely another SVX...maybe a RS, but no other from their current line of production.

Last edited by Noir; 03-24-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:42 PM

Quote:
The hacker one is easy. First off, who here listens to Off the Hook? Who reads 2600? Apparently, it's just myself and Seraph. Which means the REST of you... you get ALL of your hacker information from the MEDIA.

- Chicane
By the way, Rob....I was at the bookstore today picking up a few books to read and I stopped by the magazine stand to review your precious 2600. Since I'm programmed by the media, let's see how you are programmed by the 'crackers'.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Porter

2600: The Washed-Up Internet Loser Quarterly
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: