How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Data recovery guru's

Anyone here on the svx.net board either work in a data recovery company or knows anyone that knows anyone who can.

I have a laptop harddrive and need the data pulled out of it. It's actually a friend of mine's. He has over a year's worth of heart disease data that he's been researching. The lab's budget is $1000.

Some data places quoted $2200 to fix. Quick $1000 if anyone knows how to do it.

Help save the data, it could save your life one day.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:15 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Dude, out computer guys here can do that stuff for free... Let me see if I can get any volunteers...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
YGPM!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 AM

Dude since I am coming to Atlanta this weekend we can just meet up and I'll bring one of the Computer guys from base here... They'll do it for 1/2 the price that ya have there... ($500)... I'm calling ya at lunch so leave your phone on man

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:50 AM

I for sure could do it, but surely there are folks around nearer you that could also.

There are companies that have this for speciality, but they are VERY expensive, like a company in Norway that charges around $10-20k for having data retrieved from a totally crashed harddrive.

If you want a tip for a good tool, please check Steven Gibsons (www.grc.com) SpinRite.

But remember that a bad recovery attempt CAN make more damage to the data then the actual crash ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 03-18-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
I for sure could do it, but surely there are folks around nearer you that could also.

There are companies that have this for speciality, but they are VERY expensive, like a company in Norway that charges around $10-20k for having data retrieved from a totally crashed harddrive.

If you want a tip for a good tool, please check Steven Gibsons (www.grc.com) SpinRite.

But remember that a bad recovery attempt CAN make more damage to the data then the actual crash ...

/Sonny
That's pretty neat. I'll have to download and try spinrite some day. I forgot to mention that the drive is totally dead. The platter will not spin and the drive can no longer be picked up in the bios of the computer.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 PM

-Ooooops....that's REALLY bad.

I have once successfully replaced a dead controller card on a harddrive, but then you have to have a identical drive to swap with.

If the fault is mechanical, it is more difficult, but COULD be done.

I don't know if it is possible to swap the disc's to another, identical, drive because of the head adjustments and so on.
But if the drive only works for that time it takes to "clone" it, it would be fine.

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir

That's pretty neat. I'll have to download and try spinrite some day. I forgot to mention that the drive is totally dead. The platter will not spin and the drive can no longer be picked up in the bios of the computer.
hmmm.... I'd definitly mention that to Jon when ya talk to him tonight... I know he is good with computers but that sounds like there is some Hardware issues as well...

Old 03-18-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
-Ooooops....that's REALLY bad.

I have once successfully replaced a dead controller card on a harddrive, but then you have to have a identical drive to swap with.

If the fault is mechanical, it is more difficult, but COULD be done.

I don't know if it is possible to swap the disc's to another, identical, drive because of the head adjustments and so on.
But if the drive only works for that time it takes to "clone" it, it would be fine.

/Sonny
yeah, i've thought about replacing the circuit board with an identical drive, but if they aren't made from the same batch, i think that the data would not be able to be read properly. it also could be a combination from the motor and the power module. i don't have a clue actually. i could try a bunch of things, but i also don't want to lose the data. if someone could pull the data out, i would like to see if i can fix it. i think i could make it work if i could identify all the components of the drive and have replacement parts from an identical drive. the main thing if i'm not mistaken is the eprom that the manufacturer set with the information of the platter diameter and where to start the allocation tables. then again, i'm not a guru so i could be wrong. i'm just basing these statements of random material i read years back.

Harry(shade-tree pc user).

if i owned a mac, i would probably either 1. know the answer on how to fix it or 2. mac's probably would never break down and never crash .
Old 03-19-2004, 11:49 AM

any word on your friend lwin?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Not yet. It appears that he is visiting his friend in DC area.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:54 PM

ok, let me know if you hear anything thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Definately don't try to fix it yourself! You'll just make it worse.

Any data can be retrieved...even if it comes to a microscopic level. Data can be read off the drive even if it has been written over. It's not going to be cheap.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Definately don't try to fix it yourself! You'll just make it worse.

Any data can be retrieved...even if it comes to a microscopic level. Data can be read off the drive even if it has been written over. It's not going to be cheap.
yeah i'm fully aware . but the lab budget is only $1k.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: