Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-08-2003, 06:27 PM

93 Subaru Impreza Problems

I have a 93 Impreza that I've had since new. I have been faithful about its maintenance. For the first 8 years of its life, it wasn't driven very hard but in the past 2 years it has been driven much hard than I would have liked (damn teenagers!).

So the problem is this: 4 years ago I noticed that it was loosing its peppiness, but it didn't bother me too much until May 2003. I took it into Shop A (a Subaru shop), they said it is probably the lifters but suggested I monitor for leaks. 10k miles later, still no peppiness, and no leaks, but they still suggested I fix the lifters. Not feeling confident about them, I took it back to the dealer I bought it at, Carter Subaru. They did a compression test and found Cyl 1 at 138 psi (?), Cyl 2 at 150 psi, Cyl 3 at 90 psi and Cyl 4 at 135 psi. The shop mechanic suggested I fix the lifters but the shop manager suggested I tear apart the engine and replace the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff (for a cost of $1600). And finally, a third shop, speciallizing in japanese cars suggested I skill all that and install a used engine (at a cost of 2100 w/tax).

My head is spinning from all this. I refuse to buy a car w/ payments and I don't really have the money for a good RELIABLE used car (spend that money on my SVX). Since many of the members here are mechanics and/or are intimately familiar with Subarus, I am hoping for a little advice on this matter.

PS: I've looked at several SVX's in the area, but none of them warranted the asking price.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: 93 Subaru Impreza Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by manofmayo
I have a 93 Impreza that I've had since new. I have been faithful about its maintenance. For the first 8 years of its life, it wasn't driven very hard but in the past 2 years it has been driven much hard than I would have liked (damn teenagers!).

So the problem is this: 4 years ago I noticed that it was loosing its peppiness, but it didn't bother me too much until May 2003. I took it into Shop A (a Subaru shop), they said it is probably the lifters but suggested I monitor for leaks. 10k miles later, still no peppiness, and no leaks, but they still suggested I fix the lifters. Not feeling confident about them, I took it back to the dealer I bought it at, Carter Subaru. They did a compression test and found Cyl 1 at 138 psi (?), Cyl 2 at 150 psi, Cyl 3 at 90 psi and Cyl 4 at 135 psi. The shop mechanic suggested I fix the lifters but the shop manager suggested I tear apart the engine and replace the cylinder and a bunch of other stuff (for a cost of $1600). And finally, a third shop, speciallizing in japanese cars suggested I skill all that and install a used engine (at a cost of 2100 w/tax).

My head is spinning from all this. I refuse to buy a car w/ payments and I don't really have the money for a good RELIABLE used car (spend that money on my SVX). Since many of the members here are mechanics and/or are intimately familiar with Subarus, I am hoping for a little advice on this matter.

PS: I've looked at several SVX's in the area, but none of them warranted the asking price.

Thanks for any help.
From what I recall, compression checks should see all cylinders within 10% of each other and close to the manufacturers recommended value. Your down significantly on compression on one quarter of your cylinders, which could explain the loss of "peppiness". From these readings, I'd recommend a re-build or replacement of the engine.

Todd
Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

At those miles you might as well try putting some engine restore in. It can't hurt. Possibly look into a used engine. The 1.8 is really not very popular so it is entirely possible to find a decent one with lower miles for under $300. Figure another $400 -500 to put it in and you're golden assuming the rest of the car is decent. No idea where they got the $2100 from. Having owned a 94 Impreza wagon as well. I'm just wondering how you noticed the loss of pep?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Having owned a 94 Impreza wagon as well. I'm just wondering how you noticed the loss of pep?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
SVX26517

All i can say is to get a 2.2 I remember mine, people thought it was a 6 banger with all its power
Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Having owned a 94 Impreza wagon as well. I'm just wondering how you noticed the loss of pep?
There are certain hills and highways that I know very well in western Washington. It seemed as if the car was having a more difficultly than in previous trips. Also the car had difficulty keeping up with traffic on our trip to Arizona; we dreaded moderate uphill grades.

How much should a rebuild cost?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 PM
SVX26517

I had an engine rebuilt for around 500 dollars, cant say that they did a good job
Old 12-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I never had an engine rebuilt but would suspect to have it done properly you're looking at between 1000-1500. Personally I'd check out www.car-parts.com or www.woodfin.com. The later is more expensive but you can get up to a 3 year warranty for a used engine. The 1.8 from my knowledge is bulletproof. You're the first I've heard that had such major issues w/o having done something stupid like change the oil yearly or see how high the rpms will go. I'd definately trust a lower mileage used as much as a rebuilt unless I really trusted the rebuilder. Might want to check out www.roobuilders.com for a rebuilt price though. People swear by them on the ultimate subaru website.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:34 PM
I look like Gordon

In my 95 Impreza, I replaced the 1.8L with a 2.2L and the car actually has pretty decent pickup now (front wheel drive, stripper L model, five speed). I would recommend that route if you are replacing the engine anyway; it was a very easy swap. I even get better gas mileage now, probably because I don't have to keep the gas pedal floored all the time

It is a shame you live so far away, because I have a perfectly good 1.8L engine with about 125K on it sitting in my garage that I would sell you CHEAP. Shipping to the west coast would probably ruin that whole "cheap" thing, though.

-Mike
Old 12-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Mayo
How many miles on that engine? and how much oil is it using?
Did any of the shops check out the electronics? Have you tried to clean out the throttle body? MAF? Check for oil in the valve cover hoses?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Superbeast

I agree, I knew a guy with a 93L sedan, with close to 200K on it, the crank bolt came loose (from a botched T-belt job) and wrecked the end of the crank. I sold him a 150K old 2.2L installed for $500. About 5K later the 4EAT blew up so I called a freind of mine and got him the car for $500 plus $800 to have the tranny rebuild and put back in. For $1,300 bucks he got an AWD Imprezza with a 2.2 and a perfect body, he has since put close to 65K on it and only needed to replace one of the original axles and put tires on it. The car now has almost 270K on it with still all the orignal suspension, brake hardware, and electronics. Amazing.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-10-2003, 09:24 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
tired engine

A 2.2 will bolt right up with a very nice improvement in power,the 1.8 was 110 hp/110 torque the 90-94 2.2 was 130 hp and as I remember about 139 torque. To speed up the swap on my ex-wifes 93 awd imp, I left the intake from the 1.8 hooked up and swapped to the 2.2 red injectors afterward. Just make sure if yours is a twin downtube exhaust, get the 2.2 with the twin downtubes so you dont have to change exhaust systems. ps, some of the 90s would crack cylender #3. It's a one day job. Good Luck
Old 12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Superbeast

Ya know, thats the one thing that I didn't do in my freinds car, was change to the 2.2L injectors. The car has run fine for all those miles and it has pretty good power and all, but I wonder if I sould give it a try and see what it does for it?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
1.8/2.2

If I remember correctly, the 1.8 had the gray injectors and the 2.2 had the red injectors,(275 cc) sometimes lean is better for power,look at bruce lee...
Old 12-12-2003, 01:58 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
www.nipponmotors.com

heh
if u want to swap something for more power check that out
i know of serveral ppl that have used them and been nothign but satisfied
and u can't beat the prices

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: