SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-15-2003, 10:42 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Another internet scam...

Here is a good one... I got this email a couple of days ago... I ignored it.

Quote:
Dear MAUNG,

I am MR AL MUSTAPHA OF cititrust bank republic of lome togo.I am the personal account manager to MR JIM MAUNG a nationale of your country, who used to work with shell development company here in LOME TOGO.On the 21st April 2001, our customer, his wife And their three children were involved in a car accident along unityama express road in lome. All occupants of the
vehicle unfortunately lost there lives. Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of his extended relatives this has also proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided
to track his last name over the Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repartrating the money and property left behind by our customer before they getconfisicated or declared unserviceable by our bank
where he deposited sum off US$14.7million dollars in our bank the CITI TRUST BANK here in LOME the banking guidelines of CITI TRUST BANK stipulates that if such money remained unclaimed for over ..........
Any Burmese to own 14.5 million and still live in Nigeria has to be a total nut case. Also, if a Burmese owns 14.5 million dollars, the embassy WILL respond and the government will take the money.
It gets better...

Quote:
BARRISTER Ahmed Adu
Ahmed Adu & ASSOCIATES
VICTORIA-ISLAND
LAGOS-NIGERIA

Dear Sir,

I am Barrister Ahed Adu, a Solicitor, and the Personal Attorney to
Mr. Maung, a national of your country, who used to work with
shell development company in Nigeria.On the 2nd of may 1999, my client, his wife And their three children were involved in a car accident along Sagbama Express Road. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost there lives.

Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to
locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved
unsuccessful.After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his relatives over the Internet, to locate any member of his family but of no avail, hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repartrating the money that belong to my client before they get confisicated or declared unserviceable by the bank where this huge deposits were lodged.

Particularly, the Bank where the deceased had an account valued at about 5 Million dollars has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the account confisicated within the next ten official workingdays. since I have been unsuccesfull in locating the relatives for over 3 years now I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you are from the same
country and bear the same last name ,so that the proceeds of this account valued at $5 million dollars can be paid to you and then you and me can share the money.70% to me and 25% to you,while 5% should be for expenses or tax as your government may require.....
5% government tax? Yeah right? Try looking at about 15% buster.

Should I just send these to the FBI?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxqueen
We get those emails at work all the time!!! It's rather annoying
Old 04-15-2003, 11:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The old Nigerian banking scam. It's been around for several years.

http://www.urbanlegends.about.com/library/blnigeria.htm

KuoH
Old 04-15-2003, 11:45 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Ah... The joy of running your own mail server and using RBL's to block them... The best way to filter the SPAM.

But then, I guess I'm missing out on those hilarious e-mails as well.

Lwin, I thought you were running your own servers. Why aren't you filtering it at the mail server level?

Why more ISP's don't implement a RBL is beyond me.

VK
Old 04-15-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Ah... The joy of running your own mail server and using RBL's to block them... The best way to filter the SPAM.

But then, I guess I'm missing out on those hilarious e-mails as well.

Lwin, I thought you were running your own servers. Why aren't you filtering it at the mail server level?

Why more ISP's don't implement a RBL is beyond me.

VK
My server is fine. This one came in through the school's mail server. I already replied to one asking what I should do. Want to see the replies I get before I forward the files to the authorities.

hehe.

Lwin

ps. I have one of those perm. alumni accounts.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 04-15-2003, 12:01 PM
FifthElement

I've gotten into several back-and-forths with senders of emails like that.

They were insisting it was legit, and were very tolerant of my antagonizing and obvious threatening replies. They even refered me to their attorney's email, who I contacted. He also insisted everything was legit.

They stopped replying when I told them I reported them to the feds.

Unfortunately most of these senders are outside the US, so there isn't much our authorities can do, since many foreign authorities are not willing to cooperate.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

I got another one today - some guy claiming to be a Belgian looking for donations because he had to pay for his wife's cancer treatments and his business partner left town with all the money and business assets and . . . and . . . and . . .

He has a $25 minimum on donations. My thought was "Hey, dude, if you're in that bad a shape, you oughta be happy no matter how little some kind soul sends you".

He gives a bank account number and everything. Maybe these Nigerians will withdraw all the money the Belgian's getting.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 04-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Hater

i'd have fun with it unitl they get annoyed and leave you alone. send them a disturbing photo of you in a prom dress and see if they still harass you.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i'd have fun with it unitl they get annoyed and leave you alone. send them a disturbing photo of you in a prom dress and see if they still harass you.
Very good idea!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Actually the FTC has setup an email addy just for this: uce@ftc.gov. They urge people to send any and all spam they get to this address so they can begin to try and find the offenders and stop spam (yeah, right). Whether or not it happens in any of our lifetimes remains to be seen... I've already forwarded them this one at least once, but they are trying to get an idea of how wide spread these scams are so you might want to send it there too.