Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Jay_Walker

Kelly Blue Book? Is SVX Value on the rise?

I was having some difficulty with my own SVX and was looking to sell it about 9 months ago. Well I was startled at how much the cars value had gone down. the actual value was somewhere around two grand. But recently while crusing ebay and seeing the number of bids on some other SVX's I gave in to idle curiousity and checked out KBB. And this is what I found.

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.3 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: All Wheel Drive
Mileage: 160,000
Equipment
Touring Pkg
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Single Compact Disc
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Power Seat
Sliding Sun Roof
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history is assumed. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $4,855
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

This is almost a 3k increase. Could it actually be true that the market for svx's is growing or am I dreaming?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Jay_Walker

Retail Value 7 grand, holy mother of meatballs, batman.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm assuming that your SVX is a '94 or later. Mine's a '93 and, with 133k miles, private party value came in at $4700.

That's hardly an increase, if we assume a retail of about $7000. When I bought the car in late '99, KBB retail was $9000.

So it has depreciated, but then I paid a lot less than what it was worth and I don't intend to sell it, so it's okay.

I would never expect a car to significantly appreciate in KBB's eyes. Only in a collector car book would I expect to see that.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

i sure hope they do, i got mine for 2,500. That is nearly as cheep as i got my '87 nissan. But both needed some work....
It would be nice for this car to be treated as a collectors item and not just "another car".
Old 01-23-2003, 01:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
i sure hope they do, i got mine for 2,500. That is nearly as cheep as i got my '87 nissan. But both needed some work....
It would be nice for this car to be treated as a collectors item and not just "another car".
Of course it'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if I was you. In order for the price to go up, demand has to go up. Nobody wanted these cars when they were new, so why would they want them now.

I suppose that it is possible that, as today's kids get older, imported cars may become more and more acceptable as classics, and maybe the rarity, beauty and features of the SVX will win over some of those people.

But I'm certainly not keeping the SVX as a long-term investment. I just love the car and appreciate the values that it represents.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-23-2003, 01:18 PM

i checked mine on kbb and it said about $5485. im happy because i only paid 3500 for mine. then i remember that the tranny said bye bye two weeks later, but its ok. im still happy

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I got a copy of the blue book value from 2.5 years ago when I got the car. I could run it again today and use a 94 or 95 instead of a 92. Would that tell us anything?