Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-09-2002, 10:59 AM

Draining the fuel tank?

I suspect I have A LOT of water in my tank. It sputters and stalls just before E and starts easily with new gas and then it takes 14-15 gallons to fill. I have run alot of the fuel driers and such to limited success, only to have the problem return. My question: can I disconnect the fuel line and use the fuel pump to pump the tank dry? I don't want to have to drop the tank which would involve removing the exhaust and rear differential

I know..."Just keep it full." I want to fix the problem!
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 12-09-2002, 11:58 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If you have a lot of water in the tank the car won't run, as water is always heavier than the fuel and the pump always sucks directly from the bottom. You don't want to try to pump it dry with the pump. Best bet is to drive it until the problem reappears and check the output and pressure with the proper gauge. You may have a marginal pump. The pump depends on the fuel as its coolant and lubricant and large amounts of alcohol or whatever you're using as a dessicant are only going to make things worse.

Remember, pumps always push better than suck. (OW! I just bit my lip... ) As a pump worsens its ability to lift will deteriorate first. The weight of the full tank of fuel may be the reason for it not showing until almost drained.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:46 PM

Beav,
Thanks for the info! I'm positive that it is water in the tank. It happened to be raining torrentially and the station's lot was a swimming pool the day I fueled up and when that tankful got to E it stalled. It immediately started with some gas. After that (near E) it would sput-sput-sput-sput and I'd pull over and start pouring in gas (while it was running) and start running smoothly by the time 1/2 gallon was poured in.

What's the easiest way to drain it? Syphoning wasn't very successful except to get me dizzy. Should I pull the pump from the top and swab it out?

Matt K
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

This is neither fun nor easy

I've removed the fuel tank from an SVX and drained it prior to storage. The opening on the top of the tank can be accessed via the trunk, but it is way up front (close to the seat back). The hole is relatively small and even with the tank removed, getting the access port open and closed is difficult due to the gasket design. The pump sits below the access cover and needs to be unscrewed from brackets within the tank. NOT FUN! I don't know if I'll be able to get the pump out with tank out of the car!

Todd