How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2002, 08:22 PM
CaptHowdMasta

"Check Engine" Light came on

I live in NH so it's that time of the year again when it's really really cold out. I got my 1996 LSi in July so this is my first winter with it and the other night my CHECK ENGINE light came on when I was driving home I pulled over restarted the car and it was still on. I told my friend about it who also has an SVX and he said that it happens to him all the time in the winter and that it even does sometimes in the summer. He also said his grandfathers does the same thing. They both have 1992 LSi's and he said that the guy at the Subaru Dealership said that it was common for this to happen, he said that it's just because soemthing wasnt' right with the Oxygen Sensor when the car was started up and if something at all happens with these sensors the light comes on. I was just wondering if I should bring my car the the Subaru Dealership or if I should just drive it off? feedback a.s.a.p.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Boone

Re: "Check Engine" Light came on

Hi Capt. I've had mine for 3 winters here and the check engine light has never come on. It is not normal. I'd take it to the dealer and have them plug in the "select monitor". It will tell the story.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:44 PM
CaptHowdMasta

I am planning on bringing it to the dealer but I have to go about 70 miles tommorow before I can go to teh dealer is that ok or should I not drive it at all before bringing it?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Boone

It should be OK to drive if there are no obvious problems. It's probably one of the many sensors but it's best to find out what it is soon. B.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the code yourself:

click here for the thread

My money is on the Engine Temperature Sensor

Before you check the code though...with the engine running are the radiator fans turning even when the engine is cold?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:05 PM

I have had my SVX for three winters and winter or not if the motor is not warmed up and I take to a hill the check engine light goes on. I was told once that it was because the motor was running inefficiently and the O2 sensor would trigger. I have taken it to Subaru but since the light goes off after a couple of minutes they say they have nothing to check. But three years later mine is still running fine though I wish I had a more meticulous Subaru service location.

That being said my Father's '92 which he has had since new has never come on so?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:11 PM

I have had my SVX for three winters and winter or not if the motor is not warmed up and I take to a hill the check engine light goes on. I was told once that it was because the motor was running inefficiently and the O2 sensor would trigger. I have taken it to Subaru but since the light goes off after a couple of minutes they say they have nothing to check. But three years later mine is still running fine though I wish I had a more meticulous Subaru service location.

That being said my Father's '92 which he has had since new has never come on so?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:32 PM
CaptHowdMasta

It was both Knock sensors! cost me almost 3 hundred dollars