Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Re: Rear Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
You put as much fresh tranny fluid in as possible
Won't overfilling hurt the transmission? That is what I was told and experienced.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Won't overfilling hurt the transmission? That is what I was told and experienced.
Sorry about that. I wasn't at all clear about what I meant. What I meant was to replace as much of the old fluid as possible, then add the lubegard. One could do a flush, which is not recommended, or do several drains and refills in a row. Each drain and refill leaves 60% of the old fluid. After two, you are left with 36%. After three, 21.6%. If you pull out the filter, you leave less behind each time. So either you go through the pain of doing that several times or you do more iterations of the standard drain and refill, which will cause you to need to buy quite a bit of fluid. Someone once posted a technique of turning the engine over to drain more fluid out. That might be the best idea. The thing is, if your current fluid is so old that it started coating everything with laquer, you want to get as much out of there as possible.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboglide View Post
I was under the impression LSD was an additive.
LSD = Limited Slip Differential

You have one in the rear differential. There is an additive for LSDs, but we don't need it as ours is a sealed viscous LSD.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM

Well, truth is, I don't know how long it's been going on and attributed it to the CV axles which have been clicking over a year.I know for a fact the tranny fluid hasn't been changed in 60k miles.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, truth is, I don't know how long it's been going on and attributed it to the CV axles which have been clicking over a year.I know for a fact the tranny fluid hasn't been changed in 60k miles.
That's way too long. Get as much of that out as possible, use the Subaru supplied fluid to reeplace it, add the lubegard. Give it some time and see how it goes.

I use Redline but my tranny has been serviced regularly, the fluid is pristine and I have no evidence of parts being laquered. If your seals are coated and dried out and you use a synthetic like Redline, you can get lots of leaks. For your case, I would avoid such fluids and stick with the basic Subaru supplied stuff.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM

K here's my plan/ thinking..drain tranny.. put in cheap filter.. refill with fresh fluid.... run it 5 minutes or so... drain... remove filter..drain it,, re-install filter.. repeat process 3 or 4 times.. then a Subie filter and fluid.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
K here's my plan/ thinking..drain tranny.. put in cheap filter.. refill with fresh fluid.... run it 5 minutes or so... drain... remove filter..drain it,, re-install filter.. repeat process 3 or 4 times.. then a Subie filter and fluid.
Don't forget to add the Lubegard as the last step.