Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
What did you do with your cold windy day?

I waded through the 'Hoardings' and did some repairs on some and used some for 'heat'! The wind blew some pieces of 1/4 in luan plywood across the alley from 'Fred Depot'. I decided that it would be easier to drag it into my 'man-cave' and use it to repair a 100+ year old vanity that had water damage, than drag it back to Fred's! Now I have to wait for the wind to blow a can of Walnut stain across the alley!!
Since Fred's truck is in my garage, I feel no 'guilt' for not returning his plywood!
The other day, I gave Fred 3 tires for his dump truck and put 2 'snow load' braces under his garage roof, so I guess the plywood is paid for.
As for the 100+ year old vanity... It used to be in the youngest daughter's bedroom. She put a gallon jug of water on top of it, but it had a pin hole, so it dripped for a MONTH before I found the warped, ruined 'former' antique that belonged to my grandfather.
I should have bashed it to kindling wood, but decided to put it 'in my way' and allow it to dry out for a couple years, and see what I could do with it. Today, since it was nasty out, I made it my 'project'.
As an 'antique', it's firewood. I'm going to select enough pictures of my kids at various ages and laminate them to the replacement top and seal them in with polyurethane.
It will become a 'timeline' of my children, therefore, one of them may want to pass it on. Or they can chop it up for firewood! That will happen after my passing, since it will be mine as long as I'm alive. 100 years ago, my Grandfather spent a weeks wages to buy it for his bride!
I also dragged the dust covered 'surveyors desk' out of my way and put it into the living room, (Into wife's way), since it belonged to her father, then I set baskets of family photos next to it for us to go through the NEXT time weather forces us together for the day. The desk will allow us to 'view' about 100 photos at a time. We can write what we remember on the back for the next generation.
At any rate, I now have a wider path through the 'hoardings' and room to actually do something with them!

I sent my Mom's 1940's vintage Montgomery Wards sewing machine to the repair shop the other day. I got a call friday that it is 'repaired' and ready to go back to work! $50.!! 98% of the people that I know would have sold that machine for scrap! But 98% of the people that I know have never USED an old machine, (Or a new one for that matter). I spent $400. for the wife's machine 14 months ago. It's ready to go back to work too! Bill is $50. She dropped both of them off the same day.
Next nasty day that sweetie don't want to look at old pictures, I'm going through the 'hoardings' upstairs with the intention of an upholstry shop being born above my wood shop!
I found some beat-up wheels for the toy tractor that I pulled out of the scrap 15 years ago. I found some beer advertising shirts to trade for them. Win-Win! I found out about the tires last week. I found the shirts digging through the Hoardings today!! The guy that has the wheels LOVES old beer adds!
The 40's vintage MW sewing machine will find a 'home' upstairs! It will be the 'focal' point of the new upholstry shop.
Wife makes purses out of old blue jeans. Her machine will sew 12 layers of denim. That happens in a different room.
(This is a BIG old house!)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX
Re: What did you do with your cold windy day?

I sat inside all day watched movies, and played Battlefield 3.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 AM

Registered SVX

played battlefield 3 and cod 3.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Skied, the conditions were great.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Registered SVX

Helping a friend learn to edit video. Viewed pictured captured by my deer cam.went on 4 web sites and chatted .repaired a zipper on a fishing pole carry bag. ( I have a singer 301A ) about 55 years old can sew through 3 layers of leather.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: