Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Re: Power Steering - Hard-To-Turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinz View Post
When the steering ain't working my belt slips effecting my alternator, so I figure either the pump is having an issue and restricting the pully from being turned properly or its a pully issue causing the pump to not get the proper turns to operate properly.
Be sure your crank pulley isn't coming apart.
dcb
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
dcb
What He said!^^^^^
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
The Molinator

When I first started to fix my jerky steering, I added ATF (Redline brand, about $20/QT, should be overkill) to bring up low level.. Then, I tried Lucas PS Treatment (very viscous) for a while.. . Until I tried the replace O-Ring and flush suggestions here. Afterwards, it got better.. BUT REALLY BETTER after driving for 2 or 3 weeks!..?

SO, DO I HAVE EXPENSIVE FLUID THAT IS OK IN MY POWER STEERING SYSTEM (Power Steering fluid [Prestone]) .... OR
DO I HAVE THE MOST DANGEROUS THING IN MY PS RESERVOIR.. THAT SHOULD BE REMOVED, FLUSHED, AND REPLACED WITH ATF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.. ???!!!

HEEEEEeeeeeeeLLLLLLllllllllPPPPPppppp!!!!

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
The Molinator

Just called the dealer here.. They said PS fluid OK!.. . ? My mechanic friend said shud B ok 2.. .

Hoping, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I have a reman. PS pump about 6 months ago and after reinstalled with new o-ring and whatnot it worked great without an issue for about a month before my timing belt broke.

Timing belt got replaced a little over a month ago and everything was great for a week then the squealing began. Figured it was because the belt was loosening so I tightened it. WD40'd the hell out of the pump and pulley and tightened a little more and it's helped tremendously but I also noticed the fluid was kind of high? (it seems hard as hell to tell how much fluid you're supposed to have in this thing) but after I turkey basted out about 5 sucks, it seemed to do a LOT better.

I know the weather (low 20's, some flurries at times) probably had a huge impact on that but the root cause I still do not know. I still have some tolerance left on the belt to tighten and still have the half inch pushy down factor. I'm hoping it's just because their was too much fluid in it, which will... at least to my understanding, cause it to be sluggish and such.

Otherwise, I'm clueless and will hopefully find an inexpensive means to getting it resolved.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Went for another round and seemed I sucked too much out. Added just a little bit and now it doesn't squak super bad again like it did on startup the other day. Only time will tell but I fear it now is the rack/pinion ultimately causing the issue. It's fine after it warms up... and it was 70 out today so it was already warm so maybe that's why I didn't have any issues.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
#34160PA010
I tried to call my local Subaru garage and got the answering machine.(Again)
1stsubaruparts.com
UNIVERSAL JOINT AY [Part# 34160PA010] Quantity:

Subaru
Price:$225.82
List Price:$225.82
Your Price:$162.59 plus shipping
Thank you very much for the info, I just ordered the part...not a bad price either.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
dcb
I did a little investigation today and I don't believe the crank pulley is the issue. When I turn the steering wheel the power steering pulley stops or significantly slows down while the belt continues to turn. I have a leak around the PS reservoir. I replaced the O-ring 6mo ago, but it was not the correct size. The O-ring will be replaced with the correct one at the local maintenance meet in the next month.
Any thoughts on what else would be causing the PS pulley to not be allowed to turn properly? Belts are not loose.
92 LSL Pearl 205k+ mi. 4.44 Trans (no 1st or reverse) | VR3 deck, Shark class-D amp, 6.5" bass tube, JVC front, Lanzar rear | SPD trunk struts. Gotta get ones for hood, the random auto store ones don't cut it. Vice grips work tho | DDM HID's 55W shining nice and white.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM
M7

Registered SVX

Binding ball joint?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 AM

If the power steering pump drive pulley is literally not turning, and you're certain the belt is tight and in good condition (which it won't be for long if the thing's dragging that much), I'd guess the pump is so far gone it's trying to seize.

To test the crank pulley make a match mark across the face of the pulley. I used a white wax crayon form my grandkids' Crayola box. Drive. If the rubber segment which joins the outer and inner components is separating, the mark will have become two marks.

I've had the crank pulley fail on both of my cars. Last time, what alerted me to the developing problem was an awful screeching sound at startup, or when the PS was under load.

dcb