Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

slow burn fuse #5?

I have a parasitic draw on the battery when the car is off. It goes away when I pull out sbf5. Not sure what this fuse powers. When I pull the fuse and the car is running the idle kicks up and runs rough.
Heres a link to my other problems
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56705
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: slow burn fuse #5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
I have a parasitic draw on the battery when the car is off. It goes away when I pull out sbf5. Not sure what this fuse powers. When I pull the fuse and the car is running the idle kicks up and runs rough.
Heres a link to my other problems
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56705
Slow Blow Fuse 5, supplies a number of fuses, they are;
number 6,10,11,13,14. I would go through these fuses, pull one at a time to see which one is the one causing the draw.

PS. fuses are
6 is Front wiper,
10 is telephone
11 is rear wiper,
13 is door lock
14 is EGI and TCU memory

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 03-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added PS.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
PS. fuses are
6 is Front wiper,
10 is telephone
Telephone? What?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Telephone? What?
I remember reading about it too, the telephone being standard pre-wired for cellular connections I'm assuming... though I doubt anyone would want one of those bricks installed these days
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Ah, pre-wiring for one of the back-in-the-day car phones. Makes sense, since it was a luxury car. So it wouldn't be plugged into the cig lighter like the one my dad had in his '96 altima for a little while. Neat. So where do we tap into the wiring for it to use as a power source?

My '97 has had the door locks disconnected for some years due to some moron trying to add an aftermarket security system and trashing the door lock wiring. Apparently they never got the system to work and ended up disconnecting the wiring altogether because of a draw on the system. Could be something like that.

Actually, having looked at your other thread, you might try focusing on the TCU and associated wiring. Your alternator could have fried it, and it might be the cause of your trans issues. What you described sounds like it could be in limp-home mode (FWD, only 3rd, and reverse). Harvey knows quite a bit about trans troubleshooting, so hopefully he'll chime in.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Ah, pre-wiring for one of the back-in-the-day car phones. Makes sense, since it was a luxury car. So it wouldn't be plugged into the cig lighter like the one my dad had in his '96 altima for a little while. Neat. So where do we tap into the wiring for it to use as a power source?

My '97 has had the door locks disconnected for some years due to some moron trying to add an aftermarket security system and trashing the door lock wiring. Apparently they never got the system to work and ended up disconnecting the wiring altogether because of a draw on the system. Could be something like that.

Actually, having looked at your other thread, you might try focusing on the TCU and associated wiring. Your alternator could have fried it, and it might be the cause of your trans issues. What you described sounds like it could be in limp-home mode (FWD, only 3rd, and reverse). Harvey knows quite a bit about trans troubleshooting, so hopefully he'll chime in.
Wasn't following this over the weekend as the MotoGP was on, and Casey won.

Yes it looks like the high voltage has got at a few units. As you say the TCU has been affected, with no electrical responce. All the units that were on at the time will have had the higher voltage hit them, some blow the fuse in time, some don't and die, like the phone battery.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.