SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Transfer clutch engages with a THUD

So now that its snowing here, I have discovered that after about a half-second delay my transfer clutch (and the rear wheels) engage with a thud sound.

I have been having a slight problem with my wheel sensors, my ABS will always kick on when I apply the brakes in reverse.

So is that maybe why the transfer clutch engages so harshly maybe? I admit I dont know much about that part of our drivetrain, so any insight would help, thanks fellas!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transfer clutch engages with a THUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
So now that its snowing here, I have discovered that after about a half-second delay my transfer clutch (and the rear wheels) engage with a thud sound.

I have been having a slight problem with my wheel sensors, my ABS will always kick on when I apply the brakes in reverse.

So is that maybe why the transfer clutch engages so harshly maybe? I admit I dont know much about that part of our drivetrain, so any insight would help, thanks fellas!
The ABS should not have anything to do with it Chris.
The thud is a delay in the action between the TCU signal to the C solenoid and the transfer clutch piston applying pressure to the clutch. It allows the front wheels to start spinning, before the rear is engaged.
It can be caused by the Transfer valve sticking in the valve body, needing more pilot pressure to move it.
An oil pressure leak in the clutch cylinder.
Or the actual clutch plates have worn down too much.

It is this type of delay that breaks the clutch hub off the transfer gear, so I would not let it happen too much.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The thud is a delay in the action between the TCU signal to the C solenoid and the transfer clutch piston applying pressure to the clutch. It allows the front wheels to start spinning, before the rear is engaged.
It can be caused by the Transfer valve sticking in the valve body, needing more pilot pressure to move it.

It is this type of delay that breaks the clutch hub off the transfer gear, so I would not let it happen too much.

Harvey.
Im glad I asked. Thanks Harvey, I guess ill keep it FWD until I really need to use it.

Edit: Question, so how does the TCU detect the front wheels are spinning?

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 12-18-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post

Harvey.
What He ^ said!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Edit: Question, so how does the TCU detect the front wheels are spinning?
2 speed sensors. One in the front diff (front wheel speed) and one in the tailshaft (rear wheel speed). TCU compares the speeds and if the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear, it engages the transfer clutch.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Registered SVX

Chris, it's better to not let it be in FWD mode as the transfer clutch is much easier and cheaper to replace than the front diff. Transfer clutch replacement is about a 3 hour job, compared to about 10 or more billed hours for a diff replacement as the entire transmission must come out.
This was happening on my silver SVX before I pulled out the junk stock transmission and put in the 4.44's.
As long as you are easy on the gas in slippery conditions, It will prevent the front diff from getting any abuse and the transfer clutch from getting any more damage. Just take it easy in the slippery conditions and when money allows for it, go ahead and get yourself a new or new to you complete transfer clutch assembly with the drum and replace it.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
2 speed sensors. One in the front diff (front wheel speed) and one in the tailshaft (rear wheel speed). TCU compares the speeds and if the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear, it engages the transfer clutch.
So what I was asking earlier was if these could be causing the delay for my xfer clutch..... they trip my ABS when I brake in reverse, meaning they are falsely detecting wheel lockup maybe? So one or more speed sensors maybe bad, this can be ruled out as a cause?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
So what I was asking earlier was if these could be causing the delay for my xfer clutch..... they trip my ABS when I brake in reverse, meaning they are falsely detecting wheel lockup maybe? So one or more speed sensors maybe bad, this can be ruled out as a cause?
No the gearbox speed sensors and the ABS wheel sensors are not connected. The ABS problem in reverse is different to the Transfer delay.

You could try some additive in the ATF, to see if it will free up the transfer valve, which is probably the cause of the delay.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.