Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 PM

5 Speed swap questions

I was wondering what other cars I can use to get a five speed out of for a swap in my svx. I found a 1993 Impreza with a blown motor for a good price if I can use it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jdsnc82; 03-25-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Missed spelled words
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Re: 5 Speed swap questions

Also what are all the parts i will need to do the swap. Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

I wouldn't use the trans from that car, it won't hold up to the power of the SVX very well. look for the 02-04 wrx trans. you'll need flywheel, shift linkage, pedal set, custom crossmember, clutch plate, and rear differential matching the WRX trans. time and some help. there is a DIY swap post somewhere on here.
if i'm missing something please someone chime in!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I've run that exact same transmission with no problems.....granted I drive like a sane person, and don't flog it daily....but do drive it spiritedly regularly.
But that trans would be perfect for a Daily Driver

It's drag launches that will destroy a manual tranny (ANY manual tranny...just some will last longer than others)

Look in at the link in my sig for a parts list
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnc82 View Post
Also what are all the parts i will need to do the swap. Thanks
Second on Huck's post - do a BUNCH of reading on all the how-to's on here (there are several!) before purchasing any parts. I'm running a 97 Impreza L tranny and it's doing well. People who say only go WRX don't know what they're talking about. It's easier, kind of, but you don't HAVE to go that way.

With EITHER tranny, I would go with a stage 2 clutch at least (keep it sprung &full face so that it isn't impossible to DD). Neither an impreza NOR a WRX has the kind of low end torque the H6 does. You will damage the tranny by launching and power shifting no matter which one you go with, so if that's your plan you should go 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superru View Post
I wouldn't use the trans from that car, it won't hold up to the power of the SVX very well. look for the 02-04 wrx trans. you'll need flywheel, shift linkage, pedal set, custom crossmember, clutch plate, and rear differential matching the WRX trans. time and some help. there is a DIY swap post somewhere on here.
if i'm missing something please someone chime in!
This post contains mis-information, be careful what you listen to on this site. The how-to's and people who have extensive knowledge from ACTUALLY doing the swap are the ones to talk to. Huck is a valuable resource, as is either of the tom's.

If you go WRX you will not need a rear diff. It has a 3.9 final drive, yes, but a 1.1:1 center diff ratio, so the rear diff ratio is actually a 3.545 which is already in the SVX.

If you go with anything BUT a WRX you will need to get a matching diff, and swap the SVX lsd carrier into the tranny-matched diff. The other option is to swap the ring and pinion carrier into the SVX diff, this is the route I went. I would not recommend it, it is much more complicated and difficult than just swapping the carrier.

With the WRX you have the ease of not having to swap the diff - but it means you get to modify/replace your brake booster, and find room on your firewall for all the hydro parts and slave cyl. I prefer the feel of a cable, so I went impreza tranny for the feel, and because the firewall is already very very crowded on these cars.

Oh and one other thing, after you tally up the total from just about any parts list on here, you can pretty much just add $500 right on the top. It took me 7 months to do my swap, and the amount of stuff you find that "should" be replaced along the way is extensive, and different with every transmission. Link, bolts, springs, seals, etc all add up.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys guys. That is alot of help.