How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Windshield Replacement... Best Option?

So I am trying to figure out what to do about my cracked windshield. I was planing on getting one from a member here in Denver, but I'm having some trouble with getting someone to do the swap. I called Elite auto glass and they said that they couldn't remove the windshield without it breaking. I'm not sure if this is true or just so they don't have to deal with it or something...

So I guess my question is, does anyone know who would swap the windshields and hopefully for a good price? The car I'm getting it from can't move, so the tech would need to come out... Oh, and I know that the moulding has to be preserved so that's why I want a tech to do it.

My other option was to get non OEM glass for something like 600 installed. How does non OEM glass look?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Re: Windshield Replacement... Best Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
My other option was to get non OEM glass for something like 600 installed.
from where?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
from where?
That was Elite Auto Glass on Evans...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm pretty sure my insurance has a 100 dollar deductible for replacing windshields, but I'm not sure if the non OEM looks bad or if it's not a big deal... Does anyone have any pics of the installed non OEM glass?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Registered SVX

Elite Glass is retarted with 2 t's

I have dealt with them before, and both times they messed up.

They are telling you they cannot remove a good windshield without it breaking so they can
SELL YOU A NEW WINDSHIELD, thats where they make a profit. Little do they know, they cannot get a new windshield for your car, so they can only make money buy not working on your car.....at all. I wouldnt let them touch an SVX, they cut the crap out of your paint along the roofline, and then it rusts and leaks in a few years......

if you go to the one on Evans, theres a cool little Bar, Cafe Cero, up on Broadway just north of Evans, you can hang out there while they f up your window and paint.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 08-19-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
Elite Glass is retarted with 2 t's

I have dealt with them before, and both times they messed up.

They are telling you they cannot remove a good windshield without it breaking so they can
SELL YOU A NEW WINDSHIELD, thats where they make a profit. Little do they know, they cannot get a new windshield for your car, so they can only make money buy not working on your car.....at all. I wouldnt let them touch an SVX, they cut the crap out of your paint along the roofline, and then it rusts and leaks in a few years......

if you go to the one on Evans, theres a cool little Bar, Cafe Cero, up on Broadway just north of Evans, you can hang out there while they f up your window and paint.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely got that feeling that they didn't want to deal with my windshield swap and just wanted me to buy theirs. I got a hold of a smaller company that didn't transfer me to a call center and the guy said it wasn't a problem so we're a go for launch. And i'll go check out that bar, nothing like a delicious cold brew on a hot day
Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Registered SVX

oh, Cafe Cero is kinda back from the street, looks like a little house, gotta park on the street or side. here s cool little writeup http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-cero-denver

If you are lucky and there a cutie there, you will find your way to the topfloor makeout room and couches....
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my insurance has a 100 dollar deductible for replacing windshields, but I'm not sure if the non OEM looks bad or if it's not a big deal... Does anyone have any pics of the installed non OEM glass?
Your insurance ought not replace with non-OEM glass. Most insurance companies are OEM only. You may wish to check with them.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Your insurance ought not replace with non-OEM glass. Most insurance companies are OEM only. You may wish to check with them.
i just checked with an auto glass place, and they said that insurance usually only pays for the original glass for up to 3 years after the manufacture date. So i'd have to have a 2006+ vehicle, which i don't.

Does anyone have pics or opinions of the non OEM glass? I'd like to save some money if I could, but I don't really want my car to look like crap.

So basically i'm looking at 380 for used OEM with installation or 100 for more that likely non OEM. Any comments appreciated
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

I just had OEM put in here in New York, It was 1600$ when all done but i only pay a 3$ a month for glass insurance with no deductible, So that was nice. I was in the shop when they did it and they didnt even have to remove and of the molding. It did not seem very involved or tricky at all. So I would def. Not trust what company you mentioned. It wasnt very easy to get one. However there is an SVX in the junkyard near me with a perfect windshield. The mechanic said if i take it out I can have basically anything on the car, including that. So if you are still having trouble I could try and pull the one out near me.

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I have worked for several auto glass replacement companies, and can offer a bit of unbiased clarity (no pun intended) on the situation.

I would offer to answer the questions directly, but it seems some replies have already become semi hostile, so you can PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
So I am trying to figure out what to do about my cracked windshield. I was planing on getting one from a member here in Denver, but I'm having some trouble with getting someone to do the swap. I called Elite auto glass and they said that they couldn't remove the windshield without it breaking. I'm not sure if this is true or just so they don't have to deal with it or something...

So I guess my question is, does anyone know who would swap the windshields and hopefully for a good price? The car I'm getting it from can't move, so the tech would need to come out... Oh, and I know that the moulding has to be preserved so that's why I want a tech to do it.

My other option was to get non OEM glass for something like 600 installed. How does non OEM glass look?
Funny thing after reading this thread so far is that my OEM glass that went in last week {green \ green} came from Denver. I'll ask the folks that put it in, and make sure it is OE......
All the stamps are the same on the windows, so I assume it's OE.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles