Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
speaker problems...

Hey guys, recently had my car repainted got in back last week (pics will be in my "Finally got my baby painted" thread). Anyway, long story short, my front and rear speakers don't work now.

The head unit works and functions properly, however, there is no sound coming from either front or rear speakers. Any idea as to what could have caused both to not be working?

I haven't begun to investigate the problem, just wanted to throw it out there to get some idea's circulating...thanks in advance. Chris.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: speaker problems...

Check the back of the headunit for a loose connection. That's most likely the culprit or all 4 blew out.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Well I looked over all connections on the head unit and as well as those at each of the speakers...still no sound coming out. All connections were snug, didn't appear that the body shop messed with them too much or at all. How could all four speakers possibly "blow out" at the same time? even if they did blown out, wouldn't sound still come out of them? Albeit distorted.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:55 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
Well I looked over all connections on the head unit and as well as those at each of the speakers...still no sound coming out. All connections were snug, didn't appear that the body shop messed with them too much or at all. How could all four speakers possibly "blow out" at the same time? even if they did blown out, wouldn't sound still come out of them? Albeit distorted.
Did they work before the paint job? It is possible they are all blown. factory speakers are not known for there durability. Do you have a spare speaker to test with?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 AM

Well see...the front speakers are a relatively new set of Alpine Type R component speakers. And yes they did work before the paint job. That'll be the next step...testing them with another set of speakers...
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

What kind of head unit do you use?

If it's an alpine HU, you might want to check that the internal power amp is turned on.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM

I have the wrx 6disc head unit. I just find it very odd that all 6 speakers (including tweeters) are dead, i mean there is nothing come out of them at all. Especially since they were working before I sent the car in. They had the car for over three months so anything could have happened between that time.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM

little update, I have since taken the Head unit out, it is a wrx 6-disc, and there is power, everything is working fine on the headunit, all connections seem snug, but still no audio from any speakers...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Classic symptom of a shorted speaker wire somewhere. It will overload the power stage and the unit will kill the output to protect it. Somewhere along one of your speaker wires it is being pinched or shorted to either the body or the other wire. They may have done this removing and reinstalling interior panels. It will suck to have to trace all the speaker wiring in the car, so maybe give them a call and find out what interior trim was removed to give yourself a head-start.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Registered SVX

Sounds to me like you have a wire short somewhere. This happened to me. One of the rear speakers had a short and was grounding out somewhere. This caused the head unit to "reset" so to speak, and no sound. I ran all new wires to make sure that this would not happen again. Since your car was painted recently I assume the door panels were off, so I would start with those wires, Check the continuity with a DMM. you can also test if you have a spare speaker and see if you get sound out of it, if so, than you know it is in the wiring, if not, it is in your head unit. Good luck
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM

thanks guys, looks like I have my work cut out for me! I'll report back with my findings...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM

oldss72, also, when you ran the new wires, can I get the wires from any electronic supply store (radio shack, best buy)? Any specific speaker wire suggestions? Also did you need any adapter's or connectors for the new wires, or was it plug and play? i am relatively new to audio systems...so this will be a learning process...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Even wal-mart sells it. Are you planning to redo all your speaker lines?? Just remember the lower the gauge, the thicker the wire. 16 Gauge should be plenty, and as far as connectors go, both the rear and front speakers have their own connectors, so you'll have to clip and solder them to your new wires. You can also use female crimp-connects, but it wont be as secure. Dont worry about not knowing about stereos, its actually very very simple, you will learn in a snap!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Registered SVX

Everything is very simple, find the connector pinout, I don't remember where I found it, but it is around, and cut out the old wires, and run new ones, pretty simple. I used High quality cable, it can be purchased about anywhere. you can crimp into the stock connector, but I would recommend soldering it. You will have a better connection. Run the rear wires under the door sill, under the rear drivers armrest panel that is under the quarter window, and then run the wires up under the cardboard paneling in the trunk. The fronts are even easier. Run everything under the dash, and through the boot between the hinge panel and the door. You will need a good amount of wire. Also go to a car stereo store and get the correct connectors to crimp onto the ends of the wire. One is usually smaller than the other to distinguish between + and -. This will depend on the speaker company though. It is easy, good luck