Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM

Fixing my SVX

Back in April I traded an old Ford truck I had for a '94 Subaru SVX LS (FWD). It sat in my yard up until now. I had a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse that was supposed to get fixed (blown engine) and I found that there were more problems with the car than I'm willing to put the money into fixing. Especially with 190,xxx miles. So I practically have it sold.

Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is this: My SVX has a fairly common problem. The front differential is shot. I think. There was a huge loud knocking sound underneath the car and it bucked the car everytime it knocked. The knocking got faster with the speed of the car. My dad said it no longer even moves. Now when you shift it into drive, it makes an ungodly grinding sound, even though it's not moving.

So what I want to know is should I just replace the differential or the entire tranny? I'm sure the differential would be cheaper, but which would be the better idea in the long run? Lastly, which car's transmission is the best to put in the SVX without or with the least speed sensor difference (saying 40mph when you're going 10)?

If you have any extra info to give me I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Fixing my SVX

Any Impreza or Legacy FWD tranny will work in your SVX, be sure to also get the flexplate and torque converter, as some are different from the SVX one (Or use the SVX Torque converter)

Easier to just replace the whole tranny, as most wrecking yards woun't sell you "Just" the front diff, since it is incorperated into the transmission.

The good news is the FWD trannys can be had for pretty cheap...I've bought one for as little as $150 before.....

Make sure whomever installs it gets the Torque Converter seated ALL THE WAY! many trannys have been messed up by busting the pump when trying to force then up that last /" onto the motor...if it doesn't go up to the motor easy, then DON'T force it....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"