Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM

New Subaru ECU reverse engineering project

Hi everyone, my name is oldhat and some friends and I decided to start an ECU reverse engineering project on RS25.com, in a similar vein to b3lha's SVX ECU project. b3lha's been great, he's dropped by to offer us a few pointers and clues. This will be totally open source and free to everyone.

Our project is less than 72 hours old and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. There just aren't many tuning options for the 2.5RS ECU except for a single reflash on the market, plus the swapped guys are losing support for their turbo EJ20Gs and EJ20Ks, since they're getting older. Apexi recently discontinued the PowerFC for those JDM motors (plus Apexi is in bankruptcy now, along with Greddy -- sad times). So we have to get our hands dirty.

This is our project homepage, which is brand new and has little meat on its bones. Please register if you feel like it if you have any files or insight to offer, or just feel like watching the mess firsthand:

SubieSMART: Subaru Management and Research Tool
http://www.subiesmart.com

Here is the original thread on RS25.com:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87231

Please pop your head in if you have experience programming or deconstructing these chips. We'd love to get everyone's input. One of our goals is to comprehensively crack every Subaru ECU open 100%. So if you have any old ECUs lying around from your SVX or Classic, please let us know. If you can take pictures of the chips and circuit boards, that would be even better!

Cheers,

oldhat
Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs up Re: New Subaru ECU reverse engineering project

Best of luck with your project.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Re: New Subaru ECU reverse engineering project

Baha, I remember you from my GC8 days. Ahh, I miss that little red wonder so much
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Re: New Subaru ECU reverse engineering project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Baha, I remember you from my GC8 days. Ahh, I miss that little red wonder so much
LOL, no kidding! Sorry if this is OT, but there are some videos floating around on the RS25 Subie videos section. A 19 year old kid in West Virginia bought my old car and he seems really into it. I'm glad it's in good hands again.

b3lha, thanks a lot, I'm sure we'll be in touch. Do you ever come Stateside? My older sister lives in London, I might be out there sometime fairly soon. I'd love to check out some SVXs while I'm out there.

My stepdad had a hunter green SVX the first year they came out when everyone and their mother had no idea what the SVX was, so we were constantly rolling down the split windows and telling people it was a Subaru. That thing looked HOT when he dropped me off at middle school dances in it, I was the coolest 6th grader for a solid 10 minutes. LOL. Only thing that sucked was they only made them in automatics that year, not sure if they ever gave them a proper tranny.