SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
this shift kit ok?

ok found this, it says its better than the smallcar shift kit.. here

Last edited by RSVX; 06-19-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: this shift kit ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
ok found this, it says its better than the smallcar shift kit.. here
:P Need to fix your link but yes a member on here made it as far as I understand it works good. FYI the seller is Budfreak just if anyone was skeptic of the seller. Check oab post in Mod section for more information

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Its a bit controversial as to whether or not the spike in hp between shifts is especially good for the transmission. then again the same can be said for the small car kit, ect. and both sides will argue ad infinitum with only testimonial or theretical evidence.
To me, id just buy it and see what breaks, if anything. Then again, I have plenty of access to parts, tools, and have a spare svx to drive... fwiw Id imagine the rear output shaft shearing from the transfer drum would be the first thing to break...Meaning the car would still drive just fine, but it would be rendered fwd
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 AM

The transmission actually works great the way it was made.

My smallcar shift kit ended up in the trash after a couple of months on a rebuilt transmission bit the dust.
Keith
Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

My smallcar shift kit ended up in the trash after a couple of months on a rebuilt transmission bit the dust.
Keith
Keith I agree.

One of the reasons I purchased my car was the excellent automatic transmission. This was a requirement for my wife, but it was something I had to live with.

Interestingly, mine has operated faultlessly over eight years, with a lot of city driving.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Interestingly, mine has operated faultlessly over eight years, with a lot of city driving.
mine tranny was rebuilt at about 30000 miles i think as that is what is etched to the top of it, 30714, or something like that, and im pretty sure its the mileage. it still works fine, just added a tranny cooler, so it went all that way without one (at 142k miles now). sometimes i think that its getting weak, and im heading towards a rebuild, but it holds up, no missed gears, slipping, nothing. and im not sure how it was treated before me, all i know is the fluid in it was the most terrible smelling, old burnt crap you can imagine, so im guessing it wasnt treated well.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy
Question Re: this shift kit ok?

not to sound stupid, but does you shift kit make your car chirp? i just bought mine, and mine likes to chirp once and a while... (the car, not the shift kit) i honestly dont even know if the car has a shift kit in it, although i do have some hints on a rebuild. my car has 135k on it and shifts clean and smooth.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

Keith
I agree as well,

I removed mine after the tranny started going downhill. Seeing no improvement, I re-soldered the wires and put it back in adjusting it to "harder" shifts and it made no difference.

I don't blame the shift-kit for my transmission's demise, but I don't think it did it any good. I think what really killed it was a mal-adjusted break band and 4 or 5 years.

After the tranny got real bad I just wire nutted the stock resistor back in there cause I was sick of fussing with it and figured it mattered none anyway.

When in doubt, trust the Japanese Engineers.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbzz View Post
I agree as well,

I removed mine after the tranny started going downhill. Seeing no improvement, I re-soldered the wires and put it back in adjusting it to "harder" shifts and it made no difference.

I don't blame the shift-kit for my transmission's demise, but I don't think it did it any good. I think what really killed it was a mal-adjusted break band and 4 or 5 years.

After the tranny got real bad I just wire nutted the stock resistor back in there cause I was sick of fussing with it and figured it mattered none anyway.

When in doubt, trust the Japanese Engineers.
I have to make the distinction, my Quick Change is nothing like the Small Cars Shift Kit, that was the result of somebody accidentally finding that the shifts felt harder when their dropping resistor went open circuit.

Doing this just raises the line pressure in relation to the throttle position. Unfortunately this causes a few other problems with the normal action of the auto, without actually increasing the engagement pressure to prevent the band or clutches from slipping during the change. Flashing Power light, and problems engaging of the over-run clutch happen.

My Quick Change was the result of researching the process that the TCU and gearbox used to preform the changes. My unit is designed to work in with the normal process, but to safely alter the action to allow the band and clutches to operate at a higher engagement pressure, that prevents any slip during the changes.
This is why it can allow the changes to be made without dropping the engines torque.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.