Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-24-2008, 05:38 AM

1994 SVX fwd

My 94 SVX is front wheel drive. I plan on converting it to AWD this summer. For now I still have to drive it with the fwd transmission. I am having some issues with the transmission. I have done a few searches and still haven't seen anything that addresses my issues. When I turn the ignition on the power light doesn't flash at all.

1) Start the engine up and allow warm up time. Shift into drive with manual mode off. Transmission will not shift very well. It takes a very long time to shift thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears. Sometime it will only shift into 3rd if I let off the gas. It seems to shift into fourth ok as long as I do not try and accelerate heavily.

2) Manual mode. I end up driving in manual mode with 3rd selected instead of drive. It seems to shift better like this as long as I do not accelerate hard. If I place it into drive it has problems shifting into fourth and seems to hunt between 3rd and 4th allot. If I am trying to pass a vehicle on the highway or I am trying to merge onto the highway the transmission under hard acceration will not engage and the engine revs high and stays that way until I let off the gas. If I try and pass dirrectly after this it will do the same thing with high engine rev'ing and the transmission does not engage in any gear. Almost like I was driving a manual transmission and missed a gear while shifting but worst.

3) At highway speeds if I try and pass a vehicle with manual mode off the transmission does the same thing as listed above. It will shift down to 3rd but it will rev and the transmission feels like it will not engage. It does the same thing in manual mode but does not always shift down to pass a vehicle. If I accelerate slowly then it will stay in gear just fine with no slippage. It only does it under hard acceleration. There are times we have driven it with the utmost gentle care. Slow and steady like a couple senior citizens. The transmission does not always act up. It seems to drive pretty good with it having issues trying to go into 3rd. If I let off the gas pedal it shifts into 3rd.

Ok... I cant think of anything else right at the moment. Feel free to ask me questions or tell me what tests to preform so I can locate the problem and maybe even fix it. thanks