How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2002, 06:22 PM
gcookaustin

Yep...that would be oil on the floor

Finally the oil that was collecting in the bottom plastic guard at the front of the car has started coming through the holes while the SVX is parked. Earlier I noticed the oil residue and the front engine leak but now it seems like it's coming faster, or maybe because it's been parked for three days? I used to drive it everyday, but now that my parents are gone I drive a different car everyday. I heard someone say if you use a thicker oil then it won't really leak much. It is about due for 90K service, in a couple thousand miles. Too bad it's not the 120K service But I doubt the timing belt has ever been changed anyway. Don't want to pay for new waterpump since it's covered under my warranty. Fortunately after this two weeks is up I won't have to do as much driving (I'll be at school, so maybe once a week home to do laundry). How long before I have to fill up with oil everyday? Will these front engine seals just kinda give up one day and all the oil drains out of the engine?
Old 08-01-2002, 06:24 PM
gcookaustin

Also...is there a way to "make" my waterpump fail? Seriously, the contract doesn't say anything about sabatoge...even if the warranty falls through, it's only a few extra dollars compared to what will have to be done anyway, and I will know how well the warranty works...
Old 08-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Generally the cam/crank/oil pump seals just 'seep'. A catastrophic leak from any of them would either be preceded by a long history of increasing leaking or a seal actually blowing out of its position.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:58 AM
Lowered SVX

you really need to get those seals replaced....

they will create a huge mess and pretty soon you will get that horrible oil burning smell.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Kamaleon

Exclamation been there...

When i got my car, the seals were so bad that light smoke came out from underneath. You could see it and smell it.. Got them all replaced along the 120k service. If timign belt never been changed.. perhaps you should consider the 60k service (its the same as 120k) and make it like new