SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Water pump leaking?

I'm trying to determine where a coolant leak is coming from. It appears to be from or near the water pump. Has anyone seen something like this?

The top tank of my radiator burst recently, and today I just finished installing a new one (Silla) along with the new hoses that attach to it (upper, lower, and two ATF), plus thermostat and gasket. I have many nice pics that I'll post soon.

As soon as I filled it with water (and even before running the engine) it started leaking from somewhere near the water pump. It's a very fast drip when the radiator cap is off, but eventually stops with the cap on (and immediately resumes when I remove the cap again).

It does not appear to be coming from either of the heater/bypass hoses. It seems to be dripping down from higher up, but I can't tell how far up.

I think this leak may have been what caused the radiator to burst (due to low coolant level and high ambient temperatures recently), rather than the other way around. The overflow tank kept emptying, and I kept adding water to it but didn't check the level inside the radiator as often as I probably should have.

Car has 114K miles. Original water pump.

Could it be just the water pump gasket, or is it likely to be coming from the water pump's bearing/seal?

First pic shows thermostat cover (before lower radio hose attached). View is from under front bumper, looking towards rear of car). Leak is not visible from this angle:

Second pic is close-up showing spot where leak drips:
Added: Arrow points to where beads of water form. There's no hole there. If you look closely, you can see the wet trail from further up, on the side closest to the oil pan.

Is there anything else I can do or look at before I pull off the water pump?

Last edited by SVXdc; 09-13-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 AM

Registered SVX
that spot is the weep hole for the water pump as i just had mine replaced by the steelership ( why, I am a stupid SOB ) i would assume (and you know what you get when you assume) that you have a failing water pump. dont drive it unless needed it can cause rapid engine failure
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am having a similar issue with much more of a leak. I am going to do some investigating in the next couple days after I make my exhaust

Tom
Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

There's no hole where the bead of water forms. The water streams down from farther up.

See edited comment in my first post.

In any case, the rate is much faster than what should be coming out the weep hole. I only tried briefly, but I think it came out nearly as fast with the engine running as when I had the radiator cap off (before I started the engine).

Is there anything else I can remove to be able to see more, such as the driver-side timing belt cover?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
If the water pump is leaking, it means it needs to be replaced... don't bother trying to fix it.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Yes, I've been advised that rebuilding a water pump is a job for people who want to do that for a living, not owners.

I'm just trying to make sure the problem isn't some silly hose hidden behind the water pump. Or the gasket between the pump and the engine.

But it is looking like the pump's internal seals have failed.

If I do have to replace the water pump, what else do I need to buy besides the pump and gasket?

I had a new timing belt installed recently enough (only 45K on the new one) that I won't replace that again just yet — that's another $100+ I don't need to spend right now.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Most likely the water pump itself...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
If I do have to replace the water pump, what else do I need to buy besides the pump and gasket?

I had a new timing belt installed recently enough (only 45K on the new one) that I won't replace that again just yet — that's another $100+ I don't need to spend right now.
There are two coolant bypass hoses right along the side of the water pump, I'd replace both of them. They're on the opposite side as where your leak is, so I don't think they're the cause

Were the oil seals done when the timing belt was? It wouldn't hurt to do them again either way...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

For the benefit of others doing this, here are a couple of helpful guides I found on Ryan MacDonald's site:
www.ryanmacdonald.com/howto
(see the "Unorthodox Racing Pulley Installation" guide for the initial steps, then the "Timing Belt Change" guide for the rest). Link found in this thread from 2002: water pump? Need quick help - please!

Also see the 1992 SVX "Service Manual CD" (Timing Belt and Water Pump sections in the Engine Repair Procedures document).

And the "Tune-Up parts and numbers" (MS Word doc) in the How-To area, under the "Maintenance" folder.

Also see mbtoloczko's thread, help me write a 100k mile timing-belt "how-to". Link to his timing belt PDF document in his locker.

Last edited by SVXdc; 09-14-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
There are two coolant bypass hoses right along the side of the water pump, I'd replace both of them. They're on the opposite side as where your leak is, so I don't think they're the cause
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not the cause, but I'm leaning towards replacing those and all of the rest of the heater/bypass hoses.

Quote:
Were the oil seals done when the timing belt was? It wouldn't hurt to do them again either way...
After taking a closer look at my service records, I see that the dealer replaced the crank seal (806733030 "oil seal") along with the timing belt (13028AA120) at the 60K service, but they did not replace the cam seals (806732150). Should I replace those now or wait until the next time I replace the timing belt (~10K to go)?

Interestingly, the invoice does not show that the dealer replaced any of the timing belt cover seals (13584AA090, 13586AA060, 13597AA010, 13587AA000). If I do replace those now, will I need to replace them again with the timing belt, or might I be able to re-use them?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not the cause, but I'm leaning towards replacing those and all of the rest of the heater/bypass hoses.

After taking a closer look at my service records, I see that the dealer replaced the crank seal (806733030 "oil seal") along with the timing belt (13028AA120) at the 60K service, but they did not replace the cam seals (806732150). Should I replace those now or wait until the next time I replace the timing belt (~10K to go)?

Interestingly, the invoice does not show that the dealer replaced any of the timing belt cover seals (13584AA090, 13586AA060, 13597AA010, 13587AA000). If I do replace those now, will I need to replace them again with the timing belt, or might I be able to re-use them?
Go ahead and do th ecam seals while you're in there...I've never bought the t-cover seals....if they get bad I just toss them.....they don't really do anything anyway.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

What is water pump seal vs. gasket?

The part number for the water pump gasket (goes between pump and engine) is 21114AA051. This supercedes the older 21114AA050.

On svxcess's "Tune-Up parts" list (MS word doc, link in post #9 above), he also lists P/N 21116AA020 "Water Pump Seal." This is a smaller part that appears to go on the side of the pump closer to the car's centerline.

In the drawing (from SubaruParts.com) it looks more like a bracket — reference number 21116.

(click thumbnail for larger image)
What is it, and does it need to be replaced?

Last edited by SVXdc; 09-15-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
it is merely a gasket that seals the water pump against the oil pump I think. You can reuse the old one... Now there are 2 weep holes on the water pump and you are probobly leaking on the other side like I was.

Tomn