Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM

for Trevor

Trevor, I never stated that professionals could or should be able to test an erratic electrical part to see if it is bad when it is actually functioning correctly. Most auto mechanics are extremely limited with electrical knowledge. That is ok! We are all blessed with different talents. Personally to test it I would have to catch it in the act of not charging, and charging, or never charging at all
Yes, even me.
kwren
KISS
Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren
Gee Budbaer, You have at least one thing in common. when our alternator is defective, we replace it!
In my case I was able to actually test it in both conditions. Mine was erratic but i caught it in "both acts"
Checked my alternator with my dc voltmeter when all the red lites were on, got 12 volts dc which showed that it was not charging, checked it again with my dc voltmeter when all the red lights went off and got almost 14 volts dc, thought to myself, gee, shouldn't my alternator work all the time? I went to the schematic on the electrical system and determined that all voltage regulators for our cars are built into the alternator itself. replaced the alternator.
Mine now also works great!
Thanks for your input, Budbaer! Now you and I can go on with our lives! (till something else stops working)
Take care
Keith
Keith,

Again indirectly inferred sarcasm is apparent. Your post clearly has no other object. A direct reply to my post would have shown more character.

You now confirm that the subject matter here is obviously beyond you. How did you catch it in "both acts" as you put it? What "acts" ?

The fault being discussed is not that of simple intermittent DC output.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 07-30-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM

memory failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Keith,

Again indirectly inferred sarcasm is apparent. Your post clearly has no other object.

You confirm that the subject matter here is obviously beyond you. How did you catch it in "both acts" as you put it? What "acts" ?

The fault being discussed is not that of simple intermittent DC output.
Gee Trevor, now I really am surprised.
You can't even remember the information in several previous posts about checking the output with a dc voltmeter while running the engin with the unwanted red lights on and later the red lights went off with the engine running I got to check the voltage output again with my dc voltmeter and it was charging great! Obviously an erratic condition. both acts???? Before and after??? Two (2) different tests???
Trevor, I had far too high opinion of you. I was mistaken, and I am truly sorry. I thought you were just too well educated to have any common sense. I am so sorry, so sorry. I always try to avoid a battle of wits with an unarmed man...but you sort of sneaked up on me with all the available material on the world wide web for your seemingly intelligent copy-paste essays.
I will put you on my short list... for no more battles with Trevor!!
Again, I apologize. Feel free to ask me if you run into a problem I can help with. Till then... goodbye Trevor
Old 07-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Gee Trevor, now I really am surprised.
.but you sort of sneaked up on me with all the available material on the world wide web for your seemingly intelligent copy-paste essays.
Again sarcasm in the absence of wit.

I do not, have not, and will not copy and paste, or use material from the web as you suggest. My posts comprise honest accrued knowledge.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM

Try to focus

Quote:
Again sarcasm in the absence of wit.

I do not, have not, and will not copy and paste, or use material from the web as you suggest. My posts comprise honest accrued knowledge.
Goodbye Trevor
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Goodbye Trevor
Good riddance, Keith.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM

I know

Quote:
Good riddance, Keith.
But I was too polite to say it!
Goodbye Trevor
Old 07-31-2007, 12:53 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
But I was too polite to say it!
Goodbye Trevor
You flatter yourself. I am quite sure your vocabulary did not allow you the option.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Goodbye

Quote:
You flatter yourself. I am quite sure your vocabulary did not allow you the option.
Goodbye trevor
Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 PM

cant we all just get along
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisvx
cant we all just get along

Certainly, but I will not accept endless sarcasm and mindless, abusive, negative, incorrect argument, without recourse.

It is in the interest of members that technical advice recorded here is accurate. I will always do my very best to ensure that this is so, in spite of ridicule.

To keep it simple for the stupid:-

A COMPONENT OF REVERSE VOLTAGE CAN EXIST UNDETECTED, WITHIN THE OUTPUT FROM AN ALTERNATOR WHICH HAS BEEN TESTED USING ONLY DC INSTRUMENTS.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 PM

Nobody cares trevor

Quote:
Certainly, but I will not accept endless sarcasm and mindless, abusive, negative, incorrect argument, without recourse.

It is in the interest of members that technical advice recorded here is accurate. I will always do my very best to ensure that this is so, in spite of ridicule.

To keep it simple for the stupid:-

A COMPONENT OF REVERSE VOLTAGE CAN EXIST UNDETECTED, WITHIN THE OUTPUT FROM AN ALTERNATOR WHICH HAS BEEN TESTED USING ONLY DC INSTRUMENTS.
Get a life no one is buying your copy paste stuff.
When our alternator goes bad we just want to replace it.......The fact that the thing works again after the replacement is good enough for the rest of us. The fact that some of us can determined that our alternators were defective with a dc tester and you lack that ability is irrelevant. No body cares. If they did, I am sure that long ago they stopped careing. We just start our cars and go happily driving along because our new alternator is working like a champ. This is my last try at getting you to stop making a fool out of yourself, trevor. again, get a life!
and goodbye trevor

Goodbye trevor

Last edited by kwren; 07-31-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX
For the stupid, it is now apparent that all of that which is obvious, must be very simply spelled out:-

IN RESPECT OF THE SVX, REVERSE VOLTAGE CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WHICH ARE SOMETIMES DIFFICULT TO DETECT, I.E. FLASHING TROUBLE LAMPS.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Get a life no one is buying your copy paste stuff.
When our alternator goes bad we just want to replace it.......The fact that the thing works again after the replacement is good enough for the rest of us. The fact that some of us can determined that our alternators were defective with a dc tester and you lack that ability is irrelevant. No body cares. If they did, I am sure that long ago they stopped careing. We just start our cars and go happily driving along because our new alternator is working like a champ. This is my last try at getting you to stop making a fool out of yourself, trevor. again, get a life!
and goodbye trevor

Goodbye trevor
Keith just what is the actual point you are making in your insulting posts?

You keep on and on, that a DC test is all of that which is required in respect of alternator testing. Furthermore you now go on to insult me by suggesting that I an incapable of same. You are most certainly grasping at straws.

As previously confirmed my posts contain only original material contrary to your sarcasm. Your nasty remarks in this connection are again rejected. If you continue with these insults I reserve the right to reply in like kind, but you will find me a little more subtle.

I have never stated that MOST/USUAL/COMMON faults, can not be detected using a simple DC voltmeter.

For the benefit of members, I have pointed out that the problem with flashing trouble lights caused by reverse voltage on line, may not be detected by means of a DC voltmeter. This fact/situation is recorded a the thread, which I quoted earlier.

There is no other topic involved in my posts.

I have nowhere suggested that if one has flashing trouble lights and testing with a DC voltmeter discloses an alternator fault, the test is not valid. If on replacement of the alternator all is well, obviously all is fixed.

However even though a DC voltmeter does not record a fault, the trouble light problem can still relate to an obscure diode fault within the alternator. This is THE problem I have pointed out.

What in the name of all that which is not stupid, are you on about. It is you who is here demonstrating foolish tendencies.