How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Hmmm, Camera??

Hey guys, i just need help in picking a good camera other than this cheap 6.0mp Genx that i already have. Since our personal bank (DAD.... ) is paying for this one, he asked me to pick one of the best in the market (off course at an affordable/reasonable price...)

The one i am contemplating is this one:

Panasonic Lumix

and

Specs

What do you think???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-24-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
What are your primary interests going to be with it? That one has decent specs, and the OIS is a definite plus with the high zoom range, but it is also sized and priced accordingly. If you're looking for a handy camera to take with you on all occasions, that one isn't it. If however, your interest is in studio, landscape or wildlife photography, that should be a good choice.

KuoH
Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
If you're looking for a handy camera to take with you on all occasions, that one isn't it. If however, your interest is in studio, landscape or wildlife photography, that should be a good choice.

KuoH
Agreed. That camera definitely is exceptional, but not exactly handy. Still would love to have it though!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I am sick and tired of small digital cameras and their stupid photos which sometimes work and in other times don't. I am not looking anymore for a "pocket" camera... and when my dad saw the one i bought a year ago, he was like: "is that a camera or its film??? "
My dad is going to buy the camera, so he won't pay for something small and looks cheap in his point of view.
We have two old cameras, one Minolta and the other Nikon. they have the same shape as this one, so when my dad told me to check out a good one, i directly thought similar camera "shape". You know what i mean...
So i made a research on yahoo and asked around many local photograph places around, and they all advised me to buy this one.

P.S: the Mega OIS and the optical zoom are the reason that attracted me to it...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Still, the question is what your primary use for the camera is going to be and whether you'll actually be willing to lug a big lens around. I wouldn't judge all small form factor cameras based solely on the experiences you've had with just one, especially with some off brand camera like a Genx. You might want to do a little reading in the photography forums to get a better idea of what will suit your needs best.

I personally have a Canon S50 3x zoom 5mp pocket cam and an Olympus C750 10x zoom and can vouch for the fact that both are capable of great shots as long as you're aware of the limitations of each. Here are a few samples for comparison.

KuoH

From an S50:

From a C750:

Old 10-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Really Impressive Kuoh !!! nice pics !!!.. i was wondering, can i bother you also in posting 2 pictures taken one indoors during nightime and the other of a close range of something written in very small font? PLS?

Old 10-24-2005, 02:56 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Are you going to be staying with fixed lens?

If not i'd definitely recommend the Canon Rebel XT or the Canon EOS-20D. Check out the reviews on them at dcresource.com

I currently own a Canon Powershot S2 IS 12x 5 mp and its a pretty good camera. Some low light limitations ( I like shooting at high ISO) and purple fringing but otherwise a decent camera .
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-24-2005, 02:58 PM

Don't have any such images available at the moment, but I can tell you that if your going to be doing a lot of indoor low light shooting, you'll want to invest in a camera with a focus assist light and preferrably a hotshoe as well. Even with the OIS on the Lumix, you may be tempted to zoom-in rather than walk-in on dark subjects, and still find yourself outshooting the range of the flash. Insufficient lighting during autofocusing is the primary reason many people end up with blurry photos. That or they're really drunk and can't hold the camera still long enough.

As for the request of shots of small font text, I'm guessing that you're asking that because the Genx is giving you very blurred or aliased shots? A quick search on Google for Genx reveals that they're one of those low end manufacturers who like to misrepresent their products by claiming higher output then the camera is actually capable of delivering. They'll claim something like "6MP interpolated", which really means 3MP true or in some cases even less. What you end up with is a very large shot at the expense of real detail, but they can sucker people in because they think that they're getting a 6MP camera at a fraction of the cost of brand names.

Here are some good places to start with reviews and comparison photos.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1...asonic_reviews

KuoH
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM

Judging from what I'm reading of his experiences, I don't think I would recommend a DSLR yet. It's certainly not in the same price range and definitely requires a whole other level of knowledge and commitment to effectively leverage the advantages over disadvantages compared to a normal digicam.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
Are you going to be staying with fixed lens?

If not i'd definitely recommend the Canon Rebel XT or the Canon EOS-20D. Check out the reviews on them at dcresource.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: