SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2005, 08:20 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
SVX Exotic registration???

In September of next year my SVX will be elegible for classic tags. This means no more emissions tests, yea! Does anyone know what makes a vehicle elegible for exotic tags and where I find information about the ups and downs of exotic registration. I have been googling forever with no leads.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-23-2005, 08:49 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
In September of next year my SVX will be elegible for classic tags. This means no more emissions tests, yea! Does anyone know what makes a vehicle elegible for exotic tags and where I find information about the ups and downs of exotic registration. I have been googling forever with no leads.
Umm...you live in PA. Classic Registration is 20 years if I'm not mistaken. And, I don't believe that you can get "Exotic" registration.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-23-2005, 10:48 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
Please correct me if I'm wrong?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD

Last edited by michael; 03-14-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:

I don't think PA offers an exotic tag or registration. I know other states do but I don't think we're one of them. You do know that with classic tags you can't go back to regular plus you can't use it for things like going to work when the other car is broken down etc. If you do go with it though, you may have better luck getting an agreed value policy from Haggerty or Classic Insurance, etc... I think that is my hold up with my 95. Oh yeah, you're exempt with emissions anyways, unless you drive it more than 5k a year (which I'd suspect you don't). Funny thing is most inspection places around here charge ya $20+ for the exempt sticker so it is almost worth getting the actual sticker unless you have an issue.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Oh yeah, you're exempt with emissions anyways, unless you drive it more than 5k a year (which I'd suspect you don't). Funny thing is most inspection places around here charge ya $20+ for the exempt sticker so it is almost worth getting the actual sticker unless you have an issue.
Is that a PA-only rule? I've been trying to find ways around the smog Nazis here in CA, although I'm still smog-legal at the moment.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I could be mistaken but I swear I saw a lamborgini gallardo with pa exotic tags.

“It is unlawful for any person to operate a
motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to
participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar
uses is defined as one day a week.

I think a trip to work would be acceptable.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I could be mistaken but I swear I saw a lamborgini gallardo with pa exotic tags.

“It is unlawful for any person to operate a
motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to
participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar
uses is defined as one day a week.

I think a trip to work would be acceptable.
In some cases yes but trust me, if your insurance has you down as having a classic policy and you get into an accident they will not be paying. Occasional transportation means its a nice day and you're out cruising and decide you need some ice cream... At least that is how the state looks at it.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:59 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX
I agree. I can't afford to drive it on the regular anyway. I just looked at your link for the racecar and noticed all that sound deadening material. I bet there is about 30 lbs. worth of it in there.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:09 PM

What the quite steel? Actually that is plastic, it isn't all that heavy when removed and isn't painted real good under it. Plus since it is low it really isn't bad for the center of gravity overall.

You didn't vote for any pictures or for the site overall. If you vote and we win the most points for the month we get free racing shoes in July and we are one of the featured sites next month. GO BACK AND RATE THE SITE AND RATE OUR PICTURES!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Green1995SVX

I have classic registration on my Cavalier. Its only benefit to me is the One-time registration fee as we don't have emissions inspection in Butler County yet. That's a good thing as if they instated it here most of the people will be walking. lol. Looking forward to putting Classic Plates on my SVX!

Mike
Old 07-25-2005, 08:22 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
In IL, if you have classic tags you don't have to go to emission test but you can only drive it a few months a year if I recall correctly. Not worth it in my opinion since SVX's best features come out in winter and the car has to be stored during winter months with those tags.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!