Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Angry Ticking

Well we have come a long way with getting the SVX back to 100%. New tires (now all four are the same), and it just got a tune-up. However, upon inspecting the results of the tune-up, i noticed that the left bank is ticking. I have that sinking feeling that i know what the problem is...i just wanted to mention it and see what you guys think.

I will continue this post at a later time, because it appears that a hurricane is passing overhead and i would like to have this computer for a few years yet.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:48 PM
alacrity024

Well

I changed my oil today.

When I started the engine for the first time after putting the new oil in, I heard a medium-volume ticking for about 1 second. My guess is that it was the hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

Then, upon closer inspection, there was a ticking coming from both sides of the motor. Putting my ear close, it sounded like it was just the fuel injectors doing their job.. I don't know if you're experiencing something similar, but that's my two cents..

-Adam
Old 03-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
Well

I changed my oil today.

When I started the engine for the first time after putting the new oil in, I heard a medium-volume ticking for about 1 second. My guess is that it was the hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

Then, upon closer inspection, there was a ticking coming from both sides of the motor. Putting my ear close, it sounded like it was just the fuel injectors doing their job.. I don't know if you're experiencing something similar, but that's my two cents..

-Adam
Adam, that's exactly what I was thinking. When I first got my SVX, I freaked out at the "ticking." After asking many a SVXer, I found out that it was only my fuel injectors. They have, are and always will "tick." There is truly a distinct difference between the ticking of the FI's and the sound of a lash adjuster. The adjuster has a "duller" sound than the "high pitched" tick of the injectors (at least, that's the only way I know to describe it).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-10-2002, 06:04 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Useless but similar info

In Florida we used to tell newbies about the mosquitos. The females need blood to lay their eggs, and they fly without making any noise. The males on the other hand (kinda like those that like loud mufflers, etc. ) make all kinds of noise when they fly, but they have no need for blood so they don't bite. Now when you go to bed at night with the windows open and you don't hear a thing....

The injectors need to make noise in order to work properly. The hydraulic lash adjusters need oil pressure to not make noise. The main cause for them to start making noise is some cruddy oil in the adjuster's oil supply hole. If the noise continues (and it's not terribly loud, otherwise have it looked at soon) the next oil change you do try using an engine oil flush. You can get it at most parts stores for a few bucks. DO NOT rev the engine or drive the car with the cleaner in the car. Follow the instructions explicitly. Then change the oil and filter as normal. Usually one time will fix the problem, sometimes the inside of the engine is pretty nasty and will require a couple treatments.

Beav
Old 03-10-2002, 11:01 AM

Cont'd

Ok now that the storm has passed, i'm back. Following the input you all have given, i am going to check it out today and see if the left bank is any louder than the right. I think it is, but i will double check. In any event, it's not loud enough to hear with the hood closed, and i see this as a good thing. Also, the engines runs beautifully. With the new plugs, it just seems like a happier motor. It pulls harder throughout the RPM range. Not really any faster, just feels stronger. So that's about it for now. I will update this tonight.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:35 PM

Well upon close inspection, it seems that the same sound eminates from both banks pretty consistently, so i am going to have to say that you all are right. FIs it is.

And about Beav's mosquito story - it's funny that mosquitos aren't much different from humans. Female humans are the bloodsuckers too.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:30 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

And about Beav's mosquito story - it's funny that mosquitos aren't much different from humans. Female humans are the bloodsuckers too. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oops! I believe there are at least three female members on the Network. In the event your paths ever cross on a highway or at a meet, you'd best keep one eye always open, a BIG swatter handy, 'cause...well,...they're silent, you know.
Sleep well, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:23 PM
svxeno

Re: Useless but similar info

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beav
[B]In Florida we used to tell newbies about the mosquitos. The females need blood to lay their eggs, and they fly without making any noise. The males on the other hand (kinda like those that like loud mufflers, etc. ) make all kinds of noise when they fly, but they have no need for blood so they don't bite. Now when you go to bed at night with the windows open and you don't hear a thing....

Been tellin' that one fer years. I had actually forgotten about it.

Randy (Forgot somethin' old man style) ii
Old 03-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Re: Useless but similar info

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxeno
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
In Florida we used to tell newbies about the mosquitos. The females need blood to lay their eggs, and they fly without making any noise. The males on the other hand (kinda like those that like loud mufflers, etc. ) make all kinds of noise when they fly, but they have no need for blood so they don't bite. Now when you go to bed at night with the windows open and you don't hear a thing....

Been tellin' that one fer years. I had actually forgotten about it.

Randy (Forgot somethin' old man style) ii
Yeah, I can remember crap like that but I can't tell you what I did ten minutes ago.

Beav