How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-22-2003, 12:58 AM

Registered SVX
How To adjust The TPS, No sweat.

I hope the following may be of some assistance.

In order to adjust the TPS the manual says to measure voltage at the TPS by inserting meter probes into the plug at the ECU. Nice and easy that is ! In order to accomplish the feat without tying yourself in a knot you will require, best of all one of those dress making pins with a nice thin shank and a knob on the end, or a thin needle. Also a meter to measure 0 . 5 volts d.c..

The TPS comprises a potentiometer, presumably used in a voltage divider configuration, as three wires come from it. There is a plug and socket close to the unit so that it can be easily removed for servicing. At this plug the wires are --- black ground and one end of the resistance element, red the other end and white the wiping contact.

Stick your pin right through the white insulated wire so that you can clip your meter lead onto it to make measurements. A fine pin will not damage the conductors as they will spread and there will be no significant damage to the insulation. Measure between the wiper, i.e. white wire and ground by connecting to engine, chassis. or whatever.

Now from the book :-- 1. Connect all connectors. 2. loosen TPS fixing screws. 3. Turn ignition on. 4. Adjust TPS position while throttle valve is FULLY closed, using a volt meter, to specified voltage. 5. tighten fixing screws.

The voltage is specified as 0.45 -- 0.55 volts. I had no trouble in setting things at exactly half a volt.

Before removing the TPS or altering the original setting it is a good idea to mark the mating castings with a scratch so that one can check on the adjustment, before and after, as a matter of interest. It always is nice to know if the effort expended has in fact improved things.

Knowing the connections of the unit it is easily checked with an ohm meter after removal for smooth operation or otherwise. Evan without dismantling the unit a spray with CRC or similar cleaner and a work out will do wonders. The resistance end to end ( black to red ) should measure very close to 5000 ohms. Measuring between white and red or black should show a smooooooth change in resistance when moving the control shaft over full distance.

If you remove the unit stick the pin in before replacing it as it is much easier to do on the bench. P. S. Don't forget to pull it out when you have done the deed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks Trevor!

Nice post. Can this be moved to the How-To locker?

Todd
Old 02-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Hater

thanks much, Trevor! i was going to remove the TPS, attach some tiny clips i got at Radio Shack to the TPS leads, put the TPS back on, and use the resistance method to adjust. your way is much easier! i vote for placement in the How-To bin as well.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thanks Trevor

Will check mine out this week!

Ta, mate

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Norm

Re: How To adjust The TPS, No sweat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
I hope the following may be of some assistance.

In order to adjust the TPS the manual says to measure voltage at the TPS by inserting meter probes into the plug at the ECU. Nice and easy that is ! In order to accomplish the feat without tying yourself in a knot you will require, best of all one of those dress making pins with a nice thin shank and a knob on the end, or a thin needle. Also a meter to measure 0 . 5 volts d.c..

The TPS comprises a potentiometer, presumably used in a voltage divider configuration, as three wires come from it. There is a plug and socket close to the unit so that it can be easily removed for servicing. At this plug the wires are --- black ground and one end of the resistance element, red the other end and white the wiping contact.

Stick your pin right through the white insulated wire so that you can clip your meter lead onto it to make measurements. A fine pin will not damage the conductors as they will spread and there will be no significant damage to the insulation. Measure between the wiper, i.e. white wire and ground by connecting to engine, chassis. or whatever.

Now from the book :-- 1. Connect all connectors. 2. loosen TPS fixing screws. 3. Turn ignition on. 4. Adjust TPS position while throttle valve is FULLY closed, using a volt meter, to specified voltage. 5. tighten fixing screws.

The voltage is specified as 0.45 -- 0.55 volts. I had no trouble in setting things at exactly half a volt.

Before removing the TPS or altering the original setting it is a good idea to mark the mating castings with a scratch so that one can check on the adjustment, before and after, as a matter of interest. It always is nice to know if the effort expended has in fact improved things.

Knowing the connections of the unit it is easily checked with an ohm meter after removal for smooth operation or otherwise. Evan without dismantling the unit a spray with CRC or similar cleaner and a work out will do wonders. The resistance end to end ( black to red ) should measure very close to 5000 ohms. Measuring between white and red or black should show a smooooooth change in resistance when moving the control shaft over full distance.

If you remove the unit stick the pin in before replacing it as it is much easier to do on the bench. P. S. Don't forget to pull it out when you have done the deed.

Thanks Trevor! Be nice to see if I get A clean start on the 'morrow.

Norm