Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-14-2004, 06:53 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I'm not sure I agree about all manufacturers. Yes, anything can break, but some things have significantly better odds than others. A GM TH350 from, say the mid '80's, though thoroughly unglamorous, is statistically FAR less apt to failure than an SVX tranny.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 PM

I agree the SVX trannie is a weak point, and there are alot of other makes with as bad or worse of a trannie problems, i hear that the dodge caravan goes through trannies every 60k, but thats still no excuse for under enginearing the trannie. I expect auto to last at least 200,000 miles before it would be forgiven if it went out. I have seen many cars with this many miles with autos, alot of them 4eats, in 1 gen legacys. Right now my moms 91 legacy with a 4eat AWD has 196,000 miles on it with no real problems.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:51 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
I agree the SVX trannie is a weak point, and there are alot of other makes with as bad or worse of a trannie problems, i hear that the dodge caravan goes through trannies every 60k, but thats still no excuse for under enginearing the trannie. I expect auto to last at least 200,000 miles before it would be forgiven if it went out. I have seen many cars with this many miles with autos, alot of them 4eats, in 1 gen legacys. Right now my moms 91 legacy with a 4eat AWD has 196,000 miles on it with no real problems.
Yea but that Legacy doesn't have 230 HP and almost 230 lb-ft of torque... Plus the car being as heavy as it is adds to the stress that causes more heat in our trannies.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 09-14-2004, 09:30 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by svxsubaru1
under enginearing the trannie.
Engineering is a process. In automotive development, there is a direct correlation to sales and profits.

Most cars have glitches in the first model year.

The SVX's inabilty to generate profits led to an inability on the part of Subaru to continue to pour money into it. Therefore, no significant modifications to the original design, no aftermarket support. Some of the glitches were never worked out.

I don't think the car was under-engineered. There was just an inability to tweak it and work out the glitches.

Had the SVX been a huge success, it would have received all of the needed attention.

Also, keep in mind the tranny difficulties are related to how the vehicle wears over time, not initial failures.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 09-15-2004, 07:38 AM

Did the 97's come with a trans cooler?