How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-20-2001, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
just came to a realzation

have others noticed that quite a few people buy svxes as daily drivers to keep miles off there really "nice" cars? What gives don'tthy realize what there driving everyday is THE BEST CAR EVER CREATED (of course in my opinion). I mean I go out of my way to keep miles down on my svx. I just think it is a shame that not every else is as obsessed about these cars as Iam, and take them for granted. The svx is truly a work of art. Ok Iam done,just needed to vent. I love this car.

chris
p.s. my mother is looking for an svx preferably in the 8-10k range, any suggestions would be greatly apprecatied
Old 12-20-2001, 11:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I bought mine as a daily driver, period. It is my "nice" car as well as my daily. Now that I've been driving it for over 2 years, I can't imagine driving anything else. If I do buy another car to keep mileage off of this one, it'll be a lower mileage SVX. I do not take this car for granted. Food is meant to be eaten, flowers are to be smelled and looked at and enjoyed and cars are meant to be driven.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-20-2001, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
cars are meant to be driven

cars are meant to be driven, svxes are to be admired
Old 12-21-2001, 07:32 AM
Lowered SVX

i am with you randy.

i drive my svx as much as possible. it is my only driver. i will never own a car that i dont drive. no hangar queens for me.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-21-2001, 09:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: i am with you randy.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i drive my svx as much as possible. it is my only driver. i will never own a car that i dont drive. no hangar queens for me.
I thought that for some time, and then it occurred to me that if I want the car to last a really long time, I have little choice but to try and conserve it. Machines wear out. And someday we're going to run across a part that fails at the 500,000-mile-mark. At that point Subaru will have long moved on to fuel cells, so parts for a complicated, limited-run internal combustion car will be impossible to come by.

I start to think about the many electronic components of this car, and what I would do if one failed down the road and was no longer available anywhere.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-21-2001, 09:29 AM
Lowered SVX

damn pockets....

that was depressing.

i guess i figure that by the time that happens i will have another car that i am in love with just as much as the svx. in fact the mazda rx8 is looking pretty damn good right now. plus in 2003 they are coming out with another SVX remember.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-21-2001, 12:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: i am with you randy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I thought that for some time, and then it occurred to me that if I want the car to last a really long time, I have little choice but to try and conserve it. Machines wear out. And someday we're going to run across a part that fails at the 500,000-mile-mark. At that point Subaru will have long moved on to fuel cells, so parts for a complicated, limited-run internal combustion car will be impossible to come by.

I start to think about the many electronic components of this car, and what I would do if one failed down the road and was no longer available anywhere.
See, that's just the attitude that gets us into trouble. Imagine, we all park our SVXes and don't drive them and keep all the parts working wonderfully unil 3003. Yes, by that time, internal combustion cars will probably be impossible to come by. What we need to do is show Subaru that these parts keep breaking NOW so that they will continue to produce them NOW. For instance, I think we should all try to coordinate the breakdown of certain parts, once a month, at the same time, so that they'll see a bulk run on the parts and say "oh no, we won't have enough of those if we don't get more -- let's make more!!!" And we can skip "Transmission Month" cuz, we know about that one!!

Well, that's my theory anyway, and I'm stickin' to it!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-21-2001, 11:18 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Re: Re: Re: i am with you randy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

See, that's just the attitude that gets us into trouble. Imagine, we all park our SVXes and don't drive them and keep all the parts working wonderfully unil 3003. Yes, by that time, internal combustion cars will probably be impossible to come by. What we need to do is show Subaru that these parts keep breaking NOW so that they will continue to produce them NOW. For instance, I think we should all try to coordinate the breakdown of certain parts, once a month, at the same time, so that they'll see a bulk run on the parts and say "oh no, we won't have enough of those if we don't get more -- let's make more!!!" And we can skip "Transmission Month" cuz, we know about that one!!

Well, that's my theory anyway, and I'm stickin' to it!
Don't worry, aredub, I'm sure in the year 3003 there'll still be guys like Huck around who'll figure out how to mate a 2050 8 speed Amadeus stick shift, to a 2095 electro solar fuel celled diesel nuclear hybrid H-12 SubyMazda propulsion module, & drop it into a vintage SVX.
Hope is eternal.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 12-21-2001 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2001, 04:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Ron,

Sounds like you've been sipping from the Box-O-Wacko Juice again.

Larry III
Old 12-22-2001, 06:42 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Maybe, but he didn't misspell anything...

Beav
Old 12-22-2001, 10:12 AM
Green1995SVX

I am this person you refer to... I bought my SVX as a daily car mainly because I've become afraid to drive my Chevy for fear that it would get a stone chip or something. My SVX is not in the best of shape at all, due to the previous owner. Because of this, I dont have to worry about getting stone chips, or door dings, and i dont have a heart attack every time someone backs into it in the parking lot. The svx IS my daily car, but what better daily car could I ask for?
Old 12-22-2001, 02:02 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: i am with you randy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Don't worry, aredub, I'm sure in the year 3003 there'll still be guys like Huck around who'll figure out how to mate a 2050 8 speed Amadeus stick shift, to a 2095 electro solar fuel celled diesel nuclear hybrid H-12 SubyMazda propulsion module, & drop it into a vintage SVX.
Hope is eternal.
Ron.
I'll start the design work now!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-22-2001, 02:45 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Like Randy said, cars are meant to be driven. I got mine in April with 75k. Now my svx has close to 100k. Yes cars are meant to be driven. If the car is not in the shop, i'd have more miles I am looking for a cheaper 92 LS-L though. I want that AWD feeling.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!