SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dyno plots now available!

Just uploaded the plots from my baseline dyno runs (in folder Dyno Runs 7/1 - okay the date was actually 6/30!). Note that they reflect only the front wheels driving the rollers (see my other thread on lack of AWD). The ambient temperature was around 80-85 degrees F. The runs were within 5 minutes of each other (I think they were actually within 3.5 minutes of each other) and the trans was in 2nd gear with the manual button pushed in. I also gave the dyno operator a 6.5k rpm redline.

It's interesting to note that the little "dip" that Michael (longassname) had in his dyno runs also showed up in mine, but to a lesser degree. Looks like torque peaks out at around 4.7k rpms and Hp peaks at around 5.5k rpms.

Note: with the exception of a high flow, 2.5 inch high flow secondary cat and 2.5 inch resonator the car is bone stock in the engine performance arena (i.e. I'm even running a stock air filter!).

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Damn! That torque curve is flat as a Utah highway...

Good numbers!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Damn! That torque curve is flat as a Utah highway...

Good numbers!

-Chike

Chike,
Careful, the torque and Hp curves cross and the HP keeps going up while the torque curve starts dropping off.
The torque curve is fairly flat - given the y axis scale - up to around 5 grand...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 07-02-2004, 03:34 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Cool. HP numbers are on par with SVXType-R, longassname, and mine. Its interesting to see that the afr starts off at about stoich at 3000 rpm and then progressively richens to about 13.1:1 at 6000 rpm.

In looking at your HP curve, afr curve, and SVXType-R's HP curve, I'm completely certain that the dip in LA's curve is due to the tranny shifting gears (probably 2nd -> 3rd). LA's HP curves look completely different, and the clincher is that the afr curve in LA's dyno plots do not follow the same trend as yours. However, if I assume the dip in LA's curve is the tranny shifting, then his afr curve is broken into two segments and each segment matches your afr curve.

Hope you get your AWD fixed soon. Should add some more fun factor in the auto-x. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Don't worry, I noticed that... The IRIS system really keeps the torque pouring out until 4500-5000rpms!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Careful, the torque and Hp curves cross and the HP keeps going up while the torque curve starts dropping off.
The torque curve is fairly flat - given the y axis scale - up to around 5 grand...
-Bill

Old 07-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
snip*

Hope you get your AWD fixed soon. Should add some more fun factor in the auto-x. :-)

Mychailo,
Yep, I was very surprised at how well the numbers matched up, especially given the number of miles on my SVX's engine. I am more and more impressed by the job the Subaru engineers did with this engine.
When I was searching back through old threads about the transfer case I came across some references to wiring a switch into the "C" solenoid to make it fully engage (go to 50/50). What do you think about doing this for autoX applications?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-04-2004, 11:13 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:

When I was searching back through old threads about the transfer case I came across some references to wiring a switch into the "C" solenoid to make it fully engage (go to 50/50). What do you think about doing this for autoX applications?
-Bill
I wouldn't do it. Its like a locked center diff. It wouldn't allow the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:24 AM

Not only this, but it also reduces your turning radius and will wear down your limited slip more rapidly. An open rear diff would work better with this application...

Cutting the wire to Solenoid C is best used in straight line racing.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I wouldn't do it. Its like a locked center diff. It wouldn't allow the front and rear wheels to turn at different speeds.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Not sure...

...if this thread came up in your search Bill, but it'll answer a lot of your questions about locking the torque to 50/50.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=19594

-Chike

Old 07-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Thanks. So I should only use the 50/50 when I'm racing at Capitol Raceway in scenic Crofton, MD . I actually took Austin to watch the "test and tune" session they have each Friday and it was a blast. Now I'm seriously thinking about taking the SVX once I've had a chance to let Michael's stage 1 chip fully settle in.
Believe it or not, there was a SVT Lightning running and I was able to say to Austin "Hey, I bet that truck runs a 13 second quarter" He resonded with "No way, Dad"...Boy, was he surprised when it pulled consistent 13.1 and 13.2 times all night.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-04-2004, 09:03 PM

Yeah, the 50/50 split is best used at the drag strip. UberRoo, in that thread I linked, has a picture of the wire to splice on the TCU - using a spade connector will act as a good 'switch'.

Since you're getting baseline performance for your SVX before modifying, it'll be nice to know what she'll run in the 1/4 when you get your awd fixed. With Longass's chip alone, I'm sure in 60-70* temps you could run a 15.3-15.5 easy.

-Chike

P.S. Yeah Lightnings are amazing trucks to see in action. Heavy as anything (4700lbs) but they sure have the power to move that load!!! Glad you and Austin had a good time!
Quote:
Chike,
Thanks. So I should only use the 50/50 when I'm racing at Capitol Raceway in scenic Crofton, MD . I actually took Austin to watch the "test and tune" session they have each Friday and it was a blast. Now I'm seriously thinking about taking the SVX once I've had a chance to let Michael's stage 1 chip fully settle in.
Believe it or not, there was a SVT Lightning running and I was able to say to Austin "Hey, I bet that truck runs a 13 second quarter" He resonded with "No way, Dad"...Boy, was he surprised when it pulled consistent 13.1 and 13.2 times all night.
-Bill