Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 05:12 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

so weird....what is going on?

ok so last tuesday when i drove my car there was a loud squealing noise coming from the rear left tire....i was so scared it was the wheel bearings but it turned out to be the brake pads being really low....the ride in my car was fine before taking my car into Mavis Discount Tire to get my brakes changed.....then after i took my car home i noticed this clunking noise coming from the drivers side tire.....i thought maybe they put the wheel on wrong and it was loose or something....the next day i took the car back to them and demanded they fix it....they came back out and said the wheel was on tight and that nothing was wrong.....so we went out for a ride so he could hear the noise and i even let him drive......he heard the clunk....he took the car back in and put it on the lift and said everything looks fine but it looks like the struts are original and haven't been replaced.....so i said ok and went home to think about it....everything was fine before i took my car into these guys but i know that struts are something that just decides to go out.....they never actually took the wheel off to see if it was bad struts or mounts...they were more or less assuming that it was bad struts........it took them 2 days to find out the price of them and availability......the problem is only with that one wheel so i figured if anything i would just change the mount on that one wheel..but then people tell me i mind as well just change both or just dont do anything and live with the noise.......yesterday i was out with the svx all day long and it made that clunking noise and u could feel the bumps only on that one wheel....but then on my way home last night it stopped doing everything and rode perfectly....and this morning and afternoon when i took it out it was fine..no problems at all....i mean i dont know if it will come back tonight or tomorrow but for now it seems like the problem is solved....everytime there is a forsale sign on my window the problems fix themselves.....another problem i have is that when locking the wheel right to make a turn and then upon acceleration there is this knocing noise and then when i let the steering wheel come back it stops...it only happens when i lock the wheel right and accelarate....other wise it doesnt happen....i was told by someone on the network that it is probably the CV shaft that needs to be replaced...but im not sure....my car is for sale but now the strut mount problem seems to be fixed...for today anyway .....now i dont even know if the mounts are bad...because i thought if they were bad that the noise is constant and the ride is hard....ahh i dont know what to do anymore...everytime i want to sell the problems just fix itself...this car doesnt even have problems like that...i just dont have any money

Last edited by n00b on demand; 05-30-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I was going to comment earlier, but your post was too difficult to finish reading. Sorry, but capitals and punctuation make things much easier.

You have a couple of problems here. Not sure what the clunking is. It could be a strut, strut mount, loose brake caliper....any number of things, probably unrelated to your visit to the tire store. The second problem (noise when turning the wheel) is most likely a bad CV joint. I'd recommend you take it in and get it fixed or at least diagnosed.

Todd
Old 05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

Also try looking at your upper and lower ball joints. I am having the same problem with clunking noises and this little tid-bit may help.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 05-31-2004, 03:03 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Well the clunking noises pretty much stopped on its own somehow. Its been about two days now and they haven't come back. This SVX i have seems to fix itself whenever i want to sell it. Now the only problem this car has is the knocking when the wheel is locked right and i accelerate. I have to schedule an appointment with Subaru sometime this week.