How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 12:13 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
Yet another seatbelt problem

My car had no power tonight and a coworker kindly jumped my car to life. I drove it home and started troubleshooting. It appears my Hazard control box went crazy and continously clicks while the car isn't on! And my seatbelts tremble... The hazard lights don't flash though when this happens..... When I pulled out the white control connector from the hazard control box, the seatbelts stopped moving, but the darn box kept clicking (must have separate power source from somewhere else)

I pulled out all the fuses in my interior fuse box, but that didnt stop the clicking. (at first I thought it might be my rear wiper motor going crazy)

What's really wierd is when I pull the hazard fuse, the box stops clicking (good) but all my interior lights(when door is set to on) and illumination lights(doors, keyhole,lighter) refuse to turn off and my door lights start blinking...

Can anyone unreavel this mystery?

I got off work at 10pm only to be greeted by a dead car, sigh. I haven't checked all my fuses in broad daylight yet. Maybe a broken "control" fuse somewhere? Now I'm tired and I hope sleep will solve my problem. Elsewise, I maybe on the lookout for a used hazard "box".
http://www.svxwrx.com

Last edited by htyei; 02-29-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:28 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Check your alternator and belts in the car. Also, check your fuses. But I think it's the alternator (and lack of power in the car).

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-21-2004, 01:54 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
Oh and the seat belt light is always on and the seat belt does not retract on opening of the door. (with the hazard fuse out) However it is able move into the restrain position

Does the hazard fuse control some sort of seatbelt control system as well? Or are there crossed wires?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 AM
96svxer

I also think your main problem is alternator, not enough juice to hold the relays in. SO they just cycle constinantly.

As far as seatblet problems here is the schematic:

Seatbelt Schematic

And you might want to read this too:

Seatbelt Link

Had the same problem with seatbelt not retracting....turned out it was the seatbelt ecu. Replaced it and it has been working perfectly.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:10 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

UPDATE:
All the fuses aren't blown.
I think my alternator is OK, since my car battery hasn't died in two weeks. (as long as I pull the fuse everytime I leave the car)

So my seatbelts run fine when the key is in ignition mode or the car is actually running.

Otherwise, it the seatbelt jerks back and stops about 5 times before it hits the fully retracted position(moving towards the back of the car, am i using the term retracted right?) when i close the door(with the car not running, or in not in ignition mode)

This happens for both passenger side and driver side.
The seatbelt motor sounds like it doesn't turn off until the battery dies(i mistook it for the hazard clicking sound)

I read the previous seatbelt threads, not the same symptoms, but nevertheless, it was very informative, thanks!

Will check seatbelt codes this weekend.

Last edited by htyei; 02-29-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:19 AM
96svxer

You can disconnect your seatbelt ECU. This will determine if this is indeed whats draining your battery like you suspect. It's in the trunk right below the rear wiper. a real %^&% to get to though. Check out my locker for pics. But it does sound like your ECU is going. Got mine for $250. I would check for proper operation of your three switches (Shoulder belt, Rear locked, front locked) before buying one though. If you need help give me a holler.

Yes you are using the term "retract" properly.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Odd, my car battery died again yesterday, so I charged it for a few hours.

The crazy acting seatbelt problem went away! By the time I drove to work and parked it, it came back though.

Maybe I DO need to replace the battery.

While the battery is being charged, the problem still exists however.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:10 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

seatbelt ecu

Battery replaced, problem is still there
corroded battery terminals replaced, still there

Unplugged the Seatbelt ECU Unit and the battery draining clicking sound stopped, but the seatbelts become totally non-functional.

I'm a little confused at the seatbelt ecu and the turn and hazard unit. Does the manual sometimes refer to it as the Security Electronic Module? I am having a hard time reading the diagrams.

Last edited by htyei; 03-07-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:15 AM
96svxer

Quote:
Unplugged the Seatbelt ECU Unit and the battery draining clicking sound stopped, but the seatbelts become totally non-functional
Thats great. The seatbelts should stop working. Leave it this way for a few days. If your battery problems go away you have isolated the problem to the seatbelt ECU (or possibly a switch, and you need to go get another one.

Quote:
I'm a little confused at the seatbelt ecu and the turn and hazard unit. Does the manual sometimes refer to it as the Security Electronic Module? I am having a hard time reading the diagrams
No they are seperate modules. They are semi-related (both use the door switches to operate, and the same power sources.) Please see my locker, I uploaded I pic that breaks out the system. Might help you out?

Last edited by 96svxer; 03-08-2004 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:03 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

They are definatly somehwat related, as my secuirty system doesnt arm any more either witht he ecu unplugged.

Does anyone know of the pin out and correct volt readings for the seatbelt ecu? I'm going to measure those this weekend.

Last edited by htyei; 03-09-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:10 AM
96svxer

Quote:
They are definatly somehwat related, as my secuirty system doesnt arm any more either witht he ecu unplugged
They are seperate systems that share components. Your security module doesn't control your seatbelts, and your Seatbelt ECU doesn't make your alarm go off, they just piggy-back each other.

Pin out is pretty simple. Just check all switches (lap belt switch, retracted switch, and forward switch) to make sure they switch logical states (on,or off) (12V or 0V) depending on the position of the seatbelt. If this all checked out properly like mine did. Hook up your voltmeter to the output for the seatbelt motor. You should have either 12V or -12V depending on direction of seatbelt when on and 0V when off. Pretty simple. I'm guessing your like everybody else, your relays inside the ECU are bad, thus it wont fire your seatbelt motor properly.