How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 07:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Talking A Happy SVX Story

I dropped my car off at the shop this morning. I had developed a "noise" that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. It sounded as though the brakes were stuck and rubbing. I asked them to check the brakes and find the noise.

I refused to say the other "B" word. I had my suspicions that this would turn out to be the problem, but, if it was, I wanted them to find it on their own.

I dropped it off a little after 8 and just before noon, I got the call. "Your car's ready." "Ready?" I said. "That was quick."

I knew that it couldn't be either brakes or bearings if it was already ready. They would've called . . . they would've smelled the money . . . but, I told them I'd be right there.

I arrived, the young man said, ah, Mr. Johnson. She's ready. I said, reluctantly "what was my noise?" He looked at the ticket. "Your heat sheild was contacting the driveshaft. They fixed it. No Charge." "No Charge?" "Yep." "Wow, that doesn't happen very often." "Well it happened today, just think about us next time you need something." "Oh, I will. See you later." Of course, this is the place where I recently spent 800.00 on tires, so, they'd better be nice. Anyhoo, I get in the car and drive back to the office. The noise was still there. I turned around and took the car back. And told the young man, the noise hadn't gone away. The service manager came out (he has a personality like Vlad the Impaler), I'd interrupted his lunch. "Let's go for a ride." He grunted. We climbed in the car and took it around the block. "Do you hear it?" "I hear a noise, but, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about right now. We checked all the bearings, the rear diff, the cv joints and rotated the tires, and when we turned the wheels, there were no noises. I'd say, if the noise gets louder, then bring it back. Otherwise, I wouldn't be worried." "Thanks a lot." I said, as he got out of the car and went back into the shop.

The main benefit was, NO MORE HEAT SHIELD BUZZ. I'd been meaning to take care of that when I got to it, but, the fact that it was done by someone else, at no charge to me, was a wonderful topper to the fact that MY BEARINGS WERE NOT GOING BAD.

Life is good . . . well, today, anyway.

I'm still watching my 2-3 "flare" that reappeared on my trip back from Hucks. It seems to be sporadic, only rearing its head after the tranny's warmed up and its under load. Otherwise, she shifts "like buttah." I may try disconnecting the battery to erase TCU and ECU memory in case they picked up some "quirks" while driving around the mountains of West Virginny. We shall see. Please send all your "happy thoughts" my way in hopes that I won't be facing any tranny troubles in the very near future. I don't know if my psyche could take it, and I KNOW my wallet can't.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-01-2001, 09:31 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Smile We needed a happy story

That's good news! Lately all we've been hearing about is shops ripping people off, long time members regretfully selling their SVXes, and all these "money pit" problem SVXes out there for sale for the new guys.

Best of luck and happy thoughts!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-01-2001, 12:13 PM
Lowered SVX

local shop i got to is like that.

the last time my cv axles failed they had my car for almost two weeks because they were waiting on parts. because of the inconvience they did not charge me any labor.

bumped into one of the service advisors that used to help me at my local suby dealer. he basically dumped on me why they were so horrible. all they car about is upselling people services. he said the suby mechanic doesnt know his ass from a hole in the wall. all of this was comforting of course. i dread if i have to take me car in there again. glad i found this site and all youse guys!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-01-2001, 01:53 PM
One teal and One yellow

that's happy

that's happy! no charge and plus fixing your heatshield's prob and check your bearings are still good for FREEE? my local subaru dealer isn't so friendly, they like $$$, if i have some questions to ask them, they'll ask me to make an appointment. as a student, i am not good enough to afford the $$$ like $5X.XX/hr!! so i went figuring by myself or went those places "no charge for checking" - it was interesting - everyone of them told different stories. they are not good. final conclusion, i'll make it by myself with my mec fren who has more than 20 yrs + fix-car experiences. (but he only fixed few SVXes)

so Randy, your noise is still there? hehe, could it be the noise from your new rubbers that contact w/ the road surfaces? i saw ur SVX pic. your rims are stock. 225/16/50 rated?? wondering what kind of tires you have and get up to $800?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-01-2001, 02:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: that's happy

Quote:
[i] so Randy, your noise is still there? hehe, could it be the noise from your new rubbers that contact w/ the road surfaces? i saw ur SVX pic. your rims are stock. 225/16/50 rated?? wondering what kind of tires you have and get up to $800? [/B]
Nope, not road noise. I'd recognize that. I'm running V-Rated Goodyear Eagle RS-A's.
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-01-2001 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:39 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: that's happy

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX

so Randy, your noise is still there? hehe, could it be the noise from your new rubbers that contact w/ the road surfaces? i saw ur SVX pic. your rims are stock. 225/16/50 rated?? wondering what kind of tires you have and get up to $800?
I have stock rims and I have P6000 Sports in them. Those ran me over 800. Great tires. Low noise and handling is amazing.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-01-2001, 03:47 PM
Lowered SVX

you guys are paying way too much.

i just bought 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's for $650 from Costco. shop around people........
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-01-2001, 03:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: you guys are paying way too much.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i just bought 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's for $650 from Costco. shop around people........
I had alternative motives for paying the extra monies. They're documented in an earlier post.

I could've gotten the Yoko AVSdb's I wanted for much less money, if I'd have taken my time and decided to wait. It was a business decision.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Lowered SVX

there is always a story with you randy....

i was mostly talking to seraphim. but you could use a little bit of a lecture too!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-01-2001, 03:57 PM

Registered SVX
Re: there is always a story with you randy....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i was mostly talking to seraphim. but you could use a little bit of a lecture too!
Lecture on, brothah! I can ignore you just like I've done everybody else in my lifetime -- and keep ending up in deep doodoo.
Subaru Ambassador