Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2001, 11:31 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Well i thought my battery died 2 days ago, we jumped it easily and got it home. I went today and got a new battery, alittle more heavy duty (5400 amp) jsut so we knew it would work. Got it in and it started, i let it run for 15 minutes to reset the ecu. Then turned it off, and back on...worked fine. Went to taco johns and got home back. Decided to turn the car off, then back on and again. It DOES NOT turn over. It clicks once, then my entire lighting panel goes dim. If i turn to the off position, then jsut to the accesorie it works fine, full power. Turning it to the on position does the same, fully working including air/cd/fan/lights. When i try to start the car it clicks once and then dies, and i can leave it in the ON position and the cotrol panel lights up dimly, and there is a clicking sound coming from the fuse box(seems more like under it) that is very short and quick. Again i turn the power off for 2 secons or so, turn the car to the complete on position and balst the radio, and all the fans come on. I hope that there is jst a broken fuse somewhere, as if its the starter im out for the count again. The EGR solenoid was the last draw for my father.
please help,
phil
Old 03-27-2001, 02:29 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Phil, I saw your post on Yahoo. Start with the simple stuff first. Check your connections (battery, alternator, chassis grounds, starter, etc.). Disconnect, then re-connect the battery (I don't know if our cars have a "breaker" or not, but, it couldn't hurt). Next step would be to try to get it to an Autozone (or whatever shop you have in your area) who will check the charging system for free. Good luck, Phil. I'd hate to see you have to give up the car after putting so much into it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-28-2001, 11:57 AM
Lowered SVX

Alternator!!

I have replaced my alternator three times and that sounds exactly like what your problem is. If all the lights and fan and all that stuff are coming on all that is telling you is your battery is in great condition. If it does not turn over at all it is most likely your alternator. Go to any local shop and have them test the output of your alternator with a voltage meter. I think it should be around 13.2 or something very close to that. Also try putting the car and neutral and then turning the key. My wife and I were at a restaurant once and the car just would not crank and I put it in neutral and turned the key and for whatever reason it fired up! Good luck!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-28-2001, 04:48 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

thank god

Randy, The posotive battery cable was eaten through where it connects to the starter...........only $20 !!!! wow am i ever relieved . Maybe i will be at that anniversary meet after all...
thanks for all your help everyone,
phil

p.s. Good thing i didint go with the repair shop...they said the alternator was shot and they checked all the connections/grounds...(i think its time to find a new shop, AGAIN)
Old 03-28-2001, 05:31 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That's great news! don't you just love it when it turns out to be something really simple.

Now please delete the post about selling the SVX, I just hate seeing a longtime clubmember with a post like that up )
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Phil! That is great news!!! Now I don't have to worry about working up the courage to ask you to sell your
bra . . . . . . AGAIN! If you had posted your "for sale" notice in "the gab" forum, I coulda deleted it (did you notice my promotion?). But, you can send Chris a PM if you really want it to disappear. Now, if my shop can only chase down my tranny gremlin. GRRRR!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-28-2001, 09:10 PM
Headed to Texas...

Thumbs up Allright!

Glad to here your news, Phast!
It's been a real roller coaster ride with the SVX lately - you're due for some smooth sailin'!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-29-2001, 12:28 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

wow

I can really feel the love!!!!! ya dont worry im gonna get that post off there right now....sorry bout the bra randy....maybe you could find a place to get one made, buy one...come to think of it i will look to see if i have an address/phone number on the box, ill check and send it to you when i get back to my house

Randy saw the promotion!!! (and who says that numbers dont win?) Now dont abuse your power(someone has to be the "mother" dont they? )

thanks again all, have a GREAT day, i am.

Last edited by Phast SVX; 03-29-2001 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2001, 07:40 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Thumbs up Hooray for simple fixes!

Sure glad to hear it was nothing more than a bad cable. Sure hoping you don't encounter any more gremlins for a long time.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX
<<(someone has to be the "mother" dont they?>>

"The mother." Hmmmmm, somehow, when I've been called this before, it didn't give me the "warm and fuzzies." Well, I guess if the word "Pooh" can evolve into something with favorable overtones, I can live with being called "a mother" by a fellow SVXer.
Subaru Ambassador