How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Power Seat and Power Steering

I joined the ranks of SVX owners this past January and proudly own a 92 white pearlie with 98K miles. I have been working on getting it to a reliable status by changing out all the hoses, belts, water pump, timing belt, plugs, valve cover gasket, brake lines. Also installed a tranny fluid cooler. I also replaced a broken passenger side power window switch and replaced the trunk and hood pistons that were completely worn out.

I had a problem with the automatic seat belt system as the seat belt shoulder retractor on the driver side was not working. I went to the Subaru dealer and they told me that some kind of weight sensor was not working and that it was located in the seat cushion. This did not make sense to me as I have the shop manuals and could not see that this even existed. I then figured it was the seat belt control unit and when I swapped it out with a used one the system starting to work. So now I am not that confident with the Subaru techs knowing how to deal with some of the details of an SVX.

I have two problems that I need some guidance on so I am reaching out for assistance:

1. The driver power seat does not go up or down, but all the other adjustment functions work. Subaru is telling me that the motor for this function is faulty and all the other motors are good and I cannot just replace the one specific up/down motor as it is part of a three motor unit and I have to replace all three as a unit. The question is, could the up/down switch just be faulty and the motor is good? If the motor is indeed faulty am I stuck in trying to locate a complete motor system, or can I just replace the one faulty motor for the up/down function?

2. It looks like a have a slow leak with the power steering fluid. Its been hard to determine where it is coming from, but it accumulates on the engine right below the fluid tank. I cannot see the actual leak and sometime a see some fluid coming out of the top of the tank around the cap and the two screws. I have read the blog about a problem with the O ring between the tank and the pump. Could this be the cause and I should just replace it?

BTW, I just love the car
Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Re: Power Seat and Power Steering

2. It looks like a have a slow leak with the power steering fluid. Its been hard to determine where it is coming from, but it accumulates on the engine right below the fluid tank. I cannot see the actual leak and sometime a see some fluid coming out of the top of the tank around the cap and the two screws. I have read the blog about a problem with the O ring between the tank and the pump. Could this be the cause and I should just replace it?

Just replace it. Not hard to do and very probably it is rock hard and compressed out of shape.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

The seat is likely a wiring problem. If it does happen to be a motor just find one in a junk yard.
Take the seat out and check the wiring and relays under the rug.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 PM

Thank you everyone for the advise.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54237

... in DIY on how to replace the PS O ring...

Tags
power seat and steering