Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Might have a blown headgasket

Since the facebook guys don't seem to want to post my issue, I will try here.

Here are the facts:

1. The temp gauge is occasionally rising above normal.
2. After the car cooled after the first time my son noticed this, I checked the coolant level. The radiator wasn't full to the fill neck. I topped it off with a couple of cups of coolant.
3. After topping off the radiator, I drove the car 100 miles up and down hills in northern central PA. The car didn't get hot AT ALL.
4. Fans are working.
5. After a couple of days of driving back and forth to work (20 minutes each way) I saw the temp gauge climb again. Again, the radiator was not full. However, the overflow tank was more full than it was previously. I topped it off again with quite a bit of coolant. It drove home with no overheating.
6. I bought a new radiator cap. When I went to install it, I noticed the radiator was not full again and the overflow tank was full to capacity.
7. I installed the new radiator cap and transferred some coolant from the overflow tank to the radiator.
8. I ran the car at idle until the fans came on. I saw no bubbles in the overflow tank. The temp dropped like a rock when the fans came on. It didn't overheat.
9. I see no oil in the coolant.
10. My mechanic pressurized the cooling system and said it held pressure for 30 minutes and he didn't see any obvious leaks.

So, I will see if the radiator cap helps. If not, I suppose the inevitable finally happened. Any other ideas or comments?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-31-2018, 07:03 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Might have a blown headgasket

Keep an eye on the gauge. If it's overheating you should see bubbling. Has it been hot as hell there like it has been here in Quebec?

Last edited by Blacky; 08-31-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:02 PM

Have you recently changed cooling fluid ?

If so then you need to burb the system, normally by jacking up the car (from front or rear - someone else confirm which one).

Then while jacked up fill the cooling areas.....

I find it interesting that the radiator is low and the overflow is ok ? - is the rubber pipe between them blocked or split, as the overflow should take up the lack of any water in the radiator.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Registered SVX

To be honest in my personal experience it does sound like the first signs of a blown head gasket.
The combustion pressure is slipping into the cooling passages (very very slight though at this point) it is displacing the coolant to the overflow tank since its only a very small amount at this point it isn't enough to push it out of the overflow tank yet. and why it passes the pressure test the combustion pressure is pushing from the cylinder to the cooling system and its very high pressures, pressurizing the cooling is (at this time) actually pushing the gasket into place sealing it better.

And since the problem is very very slight right now the car won't over heat until enough coolant is removed from the system to be low on fluid.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Also check the bottom of the reservoir for clogs or debris. I have seen coolant pumped into the reservoir, under pressure, from the radiator when the engine is hot.

As the engine cools down, the radiator should draw the fluid back from the reservoir which is normal. however, if there is debris at the bottom of the reservoir, it may keep the fluid from draining back.

Repeated cycles just keep the fluid entering the reservoir (and filling it)

Easy to remove and check.

But I did experience head gasket failure back in 2009 with 122,000 miles.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Have you recently changed cooling fluid ?

If so then you need to burb the system, normally by jacking up the car (from front or rear - someone else confirm which one).

Then while jacked up fill the cooling areas...

I find it interesting that the radiator is low and the overflow is ok ? - is the rubber pipe between them blocked or split, as the overflow should take up the lack of any water in the radiator.
Jack up the front of the car as high as you can. Tom Krynock used to use his frame lift and raise the front of the SVX as high as possible, leaving the rear wheels on the ground. Even driving up onto ramps or jackstands works.

I had a shop use this tool on my Outback with great results. Uses vacuum to exacuate all the air from the cooling system and draw in 100% new coolant without air pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G

See the video here of how it works.

https://youtu.be/_WCRcuCZI50

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 09-03-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
To be honest in my personal experience it does sound like the first signs of a blown head gasket.
The combustion pressure is slipping into the cooling passages (very very slight though at this point) it is displacing the coolant to the overflow tank since its only a very small amount at this point it isn't enough to push it out of the overflow tank yet. and why it passes the pressure test the combustion pressure is pushing from the cylinder to the cooling system and its very high pressures, pressurizing the cooling is (at this time) actually pushing the gasket into place sealing it better.

And since the problem is very very slight right now the car won't over heat until enough coolant is removed from the system to be low on fluid.
The last part makes perfect sense. What confuses me is that there is no oil in the coolant. Also, why doesn't the air get pushed into the overflow tank and coolant sucked back in when everything cools? To see what I am seeing, exhaust would need to get into the system and push coolant into the overflow and little to no coolant get sucked back into the radiator when everything cools.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Jack up the front of the car as high as you can. Tom Krynock used to use his frame lift and raise the front of the SVX as high as possible, leaving the rear wheels on the ground. Even driving up onto ramps or jackstands works.

I had a shop use this tool on my Outback with great results. Uses vacuum to exacuate all the air from the cooling system and draw in 100% new coolant without air pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-.../dp/B0002SRH5G

See the video here of how it works.

https://youtu.be/_WCRcuCZI50
Yes I have this tool, it makes it very easy to refill the system perfectly without any issue with burping the system. But even more importantly it is a great tool to check the system, since if there are any leaking spots it can not pull vacuum nor hold that vacuum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
The last part makes perfect sense. What confuses me is that there is no oil in the coolant. Also, why doesn't the air get pushed into the overflow tank and coolant sucked back in when everything cools? To see what I am seeing, exhaust would need to get into the system and push coolant into the overflow and little to no coolant get sucked back into the radiator when everything cools.
There will rarely ever be oil in the coolant unless the headgasket is completely trashed, or if your rings are totally shot. Since in normal combustion there will not be oil in the combustion chamber.

And as to the coolant pushing into the overflow then getting sucked back, yes in normal operation that is what happens, however that relies on heated coolant pushing out, and cooling coolant inside the engine contracting creating a vacuum to pull the coolant back. but if the exhaust gas is seeping into the coolant those gases are displacing the coolant, thus no vacuum is occuring.

Last edited by svxcess; 09-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Keep an eye on the gauge. If it's overheating you should see bubbling. Has it been hot as hell there like it has been here in Quebec?
It has been hot and continues to be hot. I am hoping it is a bad rad cap or a clog like John mentioned (haven't checked that yet) but I am not optimistic.

I need to decide what to do if it is a blown gasket. It will cost me about $1800 to get it repaired. It is a 96 with no rust at all and runs well otherwise. It has 149K on it so I think I can get another 50K and probably three or four years if I reseal it. That is definitely worth $1800. But I will be driving a car with crappy clear coat and several dings and scratches around for 3-4 years. Not sure I want to spend $1800 to do that. Do I spend an additional $3K and get it repainted too? Then it would look less ghetto. But now I probably need to get at least 5 years out of it to make it worth while. Tranny is original so will I get 5 more years? And, even if I do, will I want to drive it around daily when it is pristine? I suppose I could go all out and turn it into a garage queen and bring it to car shows. Not sure if I am a car show guy though.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
It has been hot and continues to be hot. I am hoping it is a bad rad cap or a clog like John mentioned (haven't checked that yet) but I am not optimistic.

I need to decide what to do if it is a blown gasket. It will cost me about $1800 to get it repaired. It is a 96 with no rust at all and runs well otherwise. It has 149K on it so I think I can get another 50K and probably three or four years if I reseal it. That is definitely worth $1800. But I will be driving a car with crappy clear coat and several dings and scratches around for 3-4 years. Not sure I want to spend $1800 to do that. Do I spend an additional $3K and get it repainted too? Then it would look less ghetto. But now I probably need to get at least 5 years out of it to make it worth while. Tranny is original so will I get 5 more years? And, even if I do, will I want to drive it around daily when it is pristine? I suppose I could go all out and turn it into a garage queen and bring it to car shows. Not sure if I am a car show guy though.
Cant speak for the trans but I can tell you if you reseal the heads( and have it done right) you should get a lot more then 50k and 5 years. If you make sure the water pump inlet is enlarged, and or move the T-stat to the other rad hose you should not have any issue with head gaskets again. and since there are stock engines (without those fixes) lasting high into the 200k's I wouldn't worry over much.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM

Registered SVX

This is a how to to find out if the head gasket is leaking combustion gasses into the cooling passages.

Disregard the rattly noises, bad bearing in the power steering pump.

Here is the Tester I own and use, but any shop will have one, or any of this type will help.

The blue fluid when in contact with the carbon-monoxide (I believe is the gas that does it) turns green if just a small amount, or yellow if large leak.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-560000-...on+Leak+Tester

Last edited by 92 SVX; 09-04-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added more information.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:

This is a how to to find out if the head gasket is leaking combustion gasses into the cooling passages.

Here is the Tester I own and use, but any shop will have one, or any of this type will help.

The blue fluid when in contact with the carbon-monoxide (I believe is the gas that does it) turns green if just a small amount, or yellow if large leak.

Thanks man, I will give that a try. I needed to buy some stuff from Amazon anyway.

Well, the rad cap is not the problem. New OEM cap and it overheated on the way home yesterday. I will check for a clog like John suggested and order the tester but I suspect it is a gasket. Seems logical to get the engine re-sealed at this point. I just need to decide if paint makes sense.

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 09-05-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Seems logical to get the engine re-sealed at this point.
And the perfect time to do the timing belt, idler pulleys water pump and plugs, if they need to be done.

And since the intake manifold is off, the PCV valve too...

Last edited by svxcess; 10-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

And the perfect time to do the timing belt, idler pulleys water pump and plugs, if they need to be done.

And since the intake manifold is off, the POV valve too

PCV was just done. Tom did the timing belt, water pump and cam and crank seals about 40k miles ago. I need to check when the plugs are due. Will all the vac lines be exposed? They are all original.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Nice. I may pick up one just for the hell of it. Necessary tools for a Subaru owner!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007