Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Help please.

Hi members.

I am in quite a bind.

My 97 is parked on the street with the shifter cable broken while in park. I have to, push move the car or the city will tow it tomorrow.

I was looking for a switch that some cars have that disables the gears and puts the car in neutral.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done on the 97 svx ?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Help please.

You would have to safely crawl underneath the car and manually put the transmission into neutral either using what's left of the cable or the switch right on the passenger side of the transmission.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Thanks.

As it turns out I will need a tow truck to move it because it has to move 8 blocks.

I guess it makes sense to have the tow truck first lift it and then get under it ?

The switch on the passenger side of the tranmission sounds easiest versus using whats left of the cable right ?

I would be doing it myself. Do I need any tools to use the switch ?

I want to be ready and prepared when the tow truck gets there.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

You will be able to move the switch by hand. I don't think you need to move the switch for towing but you must not tow with the rear tires on the ground or you will damage the transmission.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 AM

I wanted to have it in neutral so I can manuver it into what will be a tight parking spot at the garage its going to. The flatbed tow truck will actually have a tough time getting inside the door of the garage so having it in neutral is critical.

Also, just to be clear, my shifter is sliding up and down. It is not locked into position at all.

About 2 1/2 years ago I ordered this cable myself because the shifter was locked into Park. I had a friend install it. (He moved out of town to find work and I do not have his contact info.)

After he installed the cable the shifter would always want to go into 2nd whenever I put it in Drive until one day it just started sliding.

I am thinking that its possible that the cable is not stripped or broken but simply came loose. What do you think about that theory based on the info I just gave you.

Btw, is the pasenger side switch right under the shifter or towards the front or towards the back ?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The shifter cable attaches to the switch on the transmission forward of the shifter, on the passenger side of the transmission.

Best bet is to get under the car and have a look.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album