Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-30-2003, 07:13 PM

I would just like to say I am a Canadian citizen that is disappointed in our governments actions. At the very least I feel they should have supported the US decision whether they felt it right or wrong. In supporting the decision it does not require them to send military aid (although it is questionable if we really have any military aid we could provide). It would send a message that Canada backs the decision of the US and will support them when required.
It is nice to see there are many US citizens on this board that can differentiate between a governments decision and the opinion of the people and not hold any animosity towards the entire population.

Thanks,

Keith

PS Have a great time at Reading, looking forward to reading all the stories.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:52 PM

Ok here goes:

God was talking to Moses one day and said "Now I will make a country called Canada. I will give it the most majestic mountains, great plains, the king of fish, the salmon in it's waters, great range animals, fill it with the nicest people on earth, the boldest of coastlines and master of birds, the eagle..."

and Moses sez, " hey, don;t ya think you're going a bit overboard here??"

and God sez " Nah, wait'll you see who I give 'em for neighbors..."
Old 03-30-2003, 08:20 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I like Canada. they were screwed financially the most by NAFTA.
Oh yeah. Well then. I guess I like Canada too.

(Another attempt at poor humor. )
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-30-2003, 09:35 PM
The Road Less Traveled

As a Canadian, I'm ashamed of how our so-called government handled the whole situation. We have the unfortunate situation of an arrogant Prime Minister that has no sense of diplomacy, and is hanging on to his power like a 3 year old to his toys.

The two things that he's mucked up in the past several months that irks me to no end:

1) Stating that the Canadian government does not support the United States in war, DESPITE having troops loaned to the US Military, and having those troops now participating in the very same war he's supposedly against.

2) After his chief spokesperson calling George Bush a "moron", he offered no apology, nor did he fire his spokesperson after initially refusing to apologize for the remark.

On one hand, Chretien acts as if he's finally found his backbone, and to stand up to the Americans. On the other, if he talked-the-talk and walked-the-walk, then why are our (albiet small number of) troops still in Iraq?

And why is the Canadian government not supporting the Americans? Whether the war is right or wrong is moot. If my brother decides to do something, I would fully support him and help him in any way that I can, even if I thought it was the most stupid and absurd thing in the world.

Who in their right mind would let his senior employee to public humiliate your best friend, and do nothing about it? Who would decline help to their best friend when it's asked for?

[/RANTMODE]

VK
Fuming
Old 03-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
But, let's not confuse "vandalism" with "terrorism,"
Randy, I may be confusing the two. Please give me your definition of the 2 so I can either correct myself or stick with my original statement.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
David did not ask for this type of bluster, and this attitude is simply not needed.
No I did not but I did ask people to be serious (and honest).
Quote:
David asked a question in good faith and THIS is what he gets. I'm ashamed.
I appreciate all the responses both good and bad. I will not ask opinions of people and then get upset because their opinions are different of mine. I was expecting responses from both sides.

I was actually expecting some strong responses from current (and former) military members.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
Well, if you're that nervous, then perhaps you (and other Canadians) should stay out of our great nation.

And stay home in their own great nation?

But then there'd be fewer SVXes at meets.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

Randy, I may be confusing the two. Please give me your definition of the 2 so I can either correct myself or stick with my original statement.

This isn't Randy, but my opinion is....

Vandalism is malicious, but usually random mischief or damage inflicted upon an object with no necessary connection between the object & the object's owner, although it COULD be directed towards an individual, or group.

Terrorism is damage inflicted upon an object or person with the EXPRESSED INTENTION to harm the individual or group, & to "warn" that damaging acts will continue as a "message" until the offending individual or group ceases the activity that offends the terroriser.

Both are acts of cowards whose only friend is the darkness in which they hide.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Meow!

Here's an interesting link someone on another site pointed out to me:

Click Me
Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 AM
Boone

Hmm... here is another educational link. Not big numbers, but it's the thought that counts. And so it goes...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operati...rent_ops_e.asp

...but for a little fun.

http://www.wedonotliveinigloos.com/

B.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
http://www.wedonotliveinigloos.com/
I can't believe I wasn't aware of that web site. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

To add to Ron's post:

Vandalism: The willful or malicious defacement of public or private property.

Terrorism: The political use of terror and intimidation.

I guess it's a toss-up depending on how it would be hashed out in a court of law. However, I consider terrorism to result in death or bodily harm to a group of people, whereas I consider vandalism merely to be perpetrated on property.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-31-2003, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all the responses both good and bad. ...snip....

I was actually expecting some strong responses from current (and former) military members.
You should be aware that as an independent citizen of the US there are few limits to an opinion, but when one identifies themselves as current members of the military and/or civil service of the US Government, individuals are limited in what they can express under the laws of this country. The conditions and ramifications of this limitation are too long to describe here, and may not be germane to this thread, I just presented it as a point of clarification.

Here's my $0.02.

1. In my experience, there are poorly informed people in every country, and at every level of authority (either because of lack of information, or through lack diligence in seeking same). There are some individuals, both poorly and well informed, who do not understand the importance of civility (or forget it in the heat of the moment - sadly I am guilty all too often). When lack of civility becomes overt, it may move into criminality.

2. The use of military force is an extension of diplomatic efforts into the realm of physical action. Military action is only undertaken at the direction of the political leadership (elected or not) of the countries at conflict.

3. I do not think I believe in altruism, and certainly not on a collective basis. Politicians, in seeking to retain the position of power they sought, exercise their authority in a way that supports retention of that power.

Perhaps I'm too cynical, I shall step off my soapbox.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:59 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

3. I do not think I believe in altruism, and certainly not on a collective basis. Politicians, in seeking to retain the position of power they sought, exercise their authority in a way that supports retention of that power.

Of course, we vote for our politicians based upon the altruistic benefits they "promise" to bestow upon their electorate. Will we ever learn? Naaaaa....

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:41 PM

Registered SVX
No indication of it down this way Ron. The mob learning how to vote that is.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!