How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-08-2002, 12:47 PM
swtsu

quiet inexpensive tires

I just purchased a 92 LXL and she needs new tires badly. Any recommendations for a quiet, inexpensive (less than a hundred each) that handles decently. Emphasis is on the quiet as having owned an 88 Starion at one time, I know how aggravating large, wide tires can be on a long road trip. I plan on using the 55 profile as others have recommended.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Green1995SVX

Hello, and welcome to the network. I am running the Dunlop SP Sport A2's on my stock wheels. They are very quiet, great in all conditions, and cost less than $100 a piece.

please note, the proper tire size is 225 *50* 16. Also, there is no such model "LXL" I believe you are thinking of the "LS-L"

Happy SVXing!

Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Check out tirerack.com and Yokohoma AVS db are pretty good. Except in snow

Welcome to the network
Old 12-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Green1995SVX

They're probably too expensive, and I believe he would want something good in show given his location.

Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 04:42 PM
AbdominalSnoman

I too have the dunlop a2s, I think that they're good enough. I never hear mine over the wheel bearing noise Seriously I was surprised how much quieter they were over the Pep boys Futura brand. The traction improved drastically after getting them, but I think that it has gone downhill fast after about 4000 miles to the point of being actually pretty mediocre and worse than the Pep Boys Futuras near the end. They also wear very fast. I haven't been gentle to these, but I also haven't taken the car to the autocross like I did with the previous ones. After about 20,000 miles I need to go and buy some more soon.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Green1995SVX

I've had mine on for 25,000 miles and they have about 1/2 tred left.

Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered Abuser

Tirerack has the Yoko AVS ES100 for $78 a pop. You can see in the reviews on their site that they are very highly rated by those that run them. I just put on a set and, so far so good. Great tire for the money.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 12-08-2002, 06:08 PM
$VX

http://www.vulcantire.com/falken.htm

For a limited budget, you can't beat Falken for performance tires.

- Ca$h
Old 12-08-2002, 06:41 PM
swtsu

thanks to all replies

hey, thanks to all who replied about the tire question. On another site, some have recommended using the 55 profile to increase rear wheel bearing life and also for a better ride. I believe the factory switched to this size in 1997. I'm not going to drive "Sweet Sue" much in the snow so I don't really need that type of tread style. And yes, it is an LSL and not an LX. That was just a test
Old 12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Green1995SVX

the 1997 tire size is 215 55 16. 96 and under is 225 50 16. I personally like the looks of the 225 50's better. They also have a smaller rolling diameter which will increase performance.

Mike
Old 12-08-2002, 07:45 PM
"high" in Colorado

Hi western slope! Welcome to the forum!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 12-08-2002, 08:21 PM
greg

I too have the Dunlop Sport A2's and I am very happy with them, in fact, I would buy another set. They handle very well in the rain and seem to be very quiet to me. I have enjoyed them very much!

I have had both the Yokahamas and the Bridgestones and I much prefer the Dunlops!

Welcome!
-G
Old 12-08-2002, 09:59 PM
AbdominalSnoman

I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the dunlops, I'm happy with mine. The reason that I bought them was that they were the cheapest name brand AA traction rating tire I could find (sears had a sale on them then). I have never had a pair of tires that lived up to their claimed tread lifetime, but these seem to have especially fallen short. (probably just me or my car) I had my car aligned when I bought them and also after about 15,000 miles so I doubt that that could be the problem. I have been hard on them though like I am on all my tires. They have a solid block running down the middle of the tire, so they are really quiet and are especially responsive to small light steering inputs. The car felt absolutely jittery after changing from the futuras. Pushed to the limits they would grab a lot better than the futuras did, but this seemed to dissapear as the tread wore down. I think this is partly me getting used to them but I know that it is not fully true. I can't take highway onramps at the same speed that I could when I first bought them. Not a big difference, but a difference none the less (68 to 62mph). Even with the tires being pretty bald, they still have good grip in the rain (when they're not hydroplaning ). I feel that the ride of the car was much improved since I bought these even though I don't know how that would change.

Softer, quicker wearing rubber is a necessary trade off for better traction, but I was surprised by how much more of a difference it was then I thought it would be.

I was just wanting to make sure that I mentioned the bad parts of the tires earlier along with their good. I didn't realize that I sounded so negative about them. I really do like them personally and would recommend them. I personally won't get them again unless there is some special deal on them but that is only because I like to try to get a different brand everytime. (Bridgestone -> Douglas -> Goodyear -> Michellin -> mismatched Dunlop for about the 3K miles that they lasted after I bought this car -> used Futura -> Dunlop -> probably kumho or falken next) On the Accord that I used to have I liked the Douglas (walmart brand) and Michellins about equally well. On this car the Dunlops are by far better than the futuras overall.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:07 PM
greg

I would be interrested in the Kuhmos. They seem to be a great tire and also seem to have a good price tag.

Does anyone have any Kuhmos or have any imput on them?

-G
Old 12-08-2002, 10:08 PM
$VX

Try Falkens man. I highly reccomend them if you don't want to spend a lot. Yokohamas are real nice too.

- Ca$h