How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-13-2002, 07:40 AM
billgiller

Talking Great Garage Gurus Found

Several months ago, I decided to take on my wife's '92 SVX with 124k on it rather than encumber us with a new debt for a WRX. Before doing so, however, I took it to the much touted SVX xavant here in Frederick, MD and asked his opinion of its roadworthiness.

"3,000 bucks should take care of all the problems," said he. "New gaskets throughout, tires, lights and, of course, the tranny.

Wow! That was more than I had envisioned.

"Maybe, you should get a second opinion," wife said.

So I asked around and a friend at the Honda repair garage that takes care of my wife's CRV suggested Danny and Claude at Flint Hill Service on a back road eight miles out of town. She said they're really up to speed.

So they looked it over and said: tires, wipers, and clean the headlights.

No gaskets? No, it's tight as a tic. No, $3,000? No, more like $500. I bought the tires at Tire Rack, they installed and balanced them, they installed the wipers and I cleaned the headlights.

So, Monday I'm leaving the BestBuy parking lot and the tranny goes. AAA ferries it to Flint Hill while I envision Second Mortgages, BIG Second Mortgages. The next day Danny calls - all fixed; come and get it. Not $2 - 3,000, but $75. A hose parted and dumped 7.5 quarts of tranny fluid behind me, and they fixed it - simple!

I'm afraid to tell you more about them because I may never get to use them again; they'll be so booked. BUT: Danny and Claude,
Flint Hill Auto Service, 2752 Park Mills Rd, Adamstown, MD 301-694-9323.

billgiller
Old 11-13-2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It's always nice to find a shop that doesn't rip you off, even when they have the chance to.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

What were you experiencing from the tranny that led someone to believe it should be replaced? Who was the original Guru?
Thanks, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 11-13-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:20 AM
billgiller

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
What were you experiencing from the tranny that led someone to believe it should be replaced? Who was the original Guru?
Thanks, Ron.
The tranny was doing nothing out of the ordinary. It's just that I was told that all the gaskets needed to be replaced and, of course, the life of the tranny depended on that. You know who he is; we've talked before. Beside, others may not have had the same experience. I'd hate to tell someone who had faith in his/her MD that the Quack was a quack.

Old 11-13-2002, 12:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by billgiller

The tranny was doing nothing out of the ordinary. It's just that I was told that all the gaskets needed to be replaced and, of course, the life of the tranny depended on that. You know who he is; we've talked before. Beside, others may not have had the same experience. I'd hate to tell someone who had faith in his/her MD that the Quack was a quack.

Faith is not something to have in a mechanic. That's an acceptance of a claim without proof. If I thought my mechanic could be trusted, and it turned out that he ripped off a friend, I'd want to know about it.

And if you presented me with proof that somebody I'm doing business with is really not to be trusted, my feelings wouldn't be hurt - I'd thank you.

Honestly, I don't see any reason not to tell us who gave you that recommendation.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 PM

Could this be a misunderstanding between you and your mechanic? If someone asked me what the likely required maintenance/repairs would be on a 92 with 124k miles so that it would be roadworth for another 120k I would suggest a timing belt, water pump, possibly some seals and a tranny. The last two items would be subject to inspection but given history's propensity to repeat itself, I might even bet some money on it.

Could that be considered to be dishonest?

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
Could this be a misunderstanding between you and your mechanic? If someone asked me what the likely required maintenance/repairs would be on a 92 with 124k miles so that it would be roadworth for another 120k I would suggest a timing belt, water pump, possibly some seals and a tranny. The last two items would be subject to inspection but given history's propensity to repeat itself, I might even bet some money on it.

Could that be considered to be dishonest?

Matt
I should have clarified. I'm not saying that the shop's recommendation that Bill replace his tranny was dishonest. I haven't seen his car and I haven't driven his car, so I don't know whether or not it's showing any sign that the transmission will soon fail.

Bill's opinion seems to be that the shop's recommendation was dishonest. Since other members frequent this shop, he's concerned about hurting those members' feelings. I think that he has his priorities a little mixed up - if he has any reason to doubt that shop, he should let us know about it.

That's my opinion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-13-2002, 01:12 PM

Mr. Pockets, I agree with your opinion and I see nothing wrong with sharing the mechanics name. I would just be careful about suggesting that someone was being dishonest by mentioning possible tranny troubles at 124k miles. It all depends how the question was framed and understood and how the answer was framed and understood. There is always potential for misunderstanding in these discussions and I would not like to see someone get a bad rap for no reason and with no chance to present their side of the story. However, if the mechanic/customer discussion can be clearly confirmed and any misunderstanding clarified, and/or if there is a pattern that can be established, then we can all make our own judgements, positive or negative.

And to close, best of luck and long life to billgiller's (and everyone else's) tranny.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:49 PM
billgiller

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
Mr. Pockets, I agree with your opinion and I see nothing wrong with sharing the mechanics name. I would just be careful about suggesting that someone was being dishonest by mentioning possible tranny troubles at 124k miles. It all depends how the question was framed and understood and how the answer was framed and understood. There is always potential for misunderstanding in these discussions and I would not like to see someone get a bad rap for no reason and with no chance to present their side of the story. However, if the mechanic/customer discussion can be clearly confirmed and any misunderstanding clarified, and/or if there is a pattern that can be established, then we can all make our own judgements, positive or negative.

And to close, best of luck and long life to billgiller's (and everyone else's) tranny.

Matt
The service person may have not taken his/her time in their diagnosis; BUT someone who gives me a diagnosis without fully analyzing the problem scares me. AND this mechanic has never said: " I overestimated the problem - it actually costs less than I said. " Money is money and if the customer agrees to pay it, why charge less.

This is not Personal, it's BUSINESS!

Get a grip!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:49 PM
SVXCAPE

I would not consider that good business. It sounds like they are in the charge you as much as they possibly can business, and not in the fix only what is wrong and charge accordingly business. Good thing I do all the work on my own car, so I don't have to worry about ever taking a chance with some scam shop, which make's money off people willing to pay, and not question.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:58 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Been there. My GTP was idling rough, so i took it to a Dealer...they qouted me $900 for a new intake manifold and gasket. Said the lower intake was warped. I mentioned this to Mandi's brother-in-law who is himself a mechanic, and he asked if he could take a look at it. Sure enough, the intake manifold was fine, it just needed a new gasket - a $300 job. Turns out they never even took apart the intake to actually SEE if the manifold was warped. That same dealer quoted me $800 for timing belt service - saying that the pulleys also needed to be replaced. Guess where im going to get it done? NOT THERE!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by billgiller

Mr. G - Just so I'm totally clear on the subject, you were told by (AE?) that you needed new tranny GASKETS, which of course can leak through the next century, as long as you replace what's leaked out with fresh fluid, so I don't get the "life of the tranny" statement. I personaly have not had work done by (AE?), but was told by the prior owner of my car that they'd had satisfactory experiences with them. I'm glad you found another unsung hero in our geographical area, but like most independent shops, there's probably a limit on the enthusiasm to get really bogged down with SVX drivetrain woes.
If not - I'll be there when the time comes!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.