Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Re: New (old?) Idea.

i've been trying to get my hands on a junk internally lubricated centrifugal supercharger headunit for months
Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
^ interesting find. got a link to that original thread?

Because the intercooler has two outlets matched to the TBs, it's probably either a one-off or modified one. It's possible to buy intercooler cores and then have the ends made for whatever your application is.
The original thread is here, but it's a concept thread just like this one.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36097

Google says it's a Legacy built by JC Sports, and it's not around anymore.

I still need to get my hands on a supercharger and an intercooler to see if it'll fit in the SVX engine like it does in that picture of the Legacy.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I don't think the intercooler part would fit in the SVX engine bay.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I don't think the intercooler part would fit in the SVX engine bay.
You might be able to fit one. If not, a standard front mount would do. It would just be a lot more work and use more piping.
Plus you wouldn't have a good excuse to put on a hood scoop.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Registered SVX

I was thinking you might be able to make an air-to-water IC like one of these fit along the pipe on the side.

and the carbon fiber hood sitting in my garage already has a hood scoop, no excuse needed.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I was thinking you might be able to make an air-to-water IC like one of these fit along the pipe on the side.

and the carbon fiber hood sitting in my garage already has a hood scoop, no excuse needed.
Probably. I don't know much about air-to-water IC's though. Do they have their own separate coolant system with a mini-radiator and everything?

Ha nice. Where'd you get a CF hood with a hoodscoop for our car?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Probably. I don't know much about air-to-water IC's though. Do they have their own separate coolant system with a mini-radiator and everything?
Yea that's exactly the idea. Separate electric water pump, and a usually skinnier heat exchanger in front of the radiator is used to cool the water. You can also do some cool tricks where you cover the heat exchanger in ice and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Ha nice. Where'd you get a CF hood with a hoodscoop for our car?
Nate picked up a parts car that had it on it. It's in rough shape (as is the car it's going on) so it will end up body color though.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Do you really need an intercooler?. How much boost are you going to use and for how long, till you lift your foot?
The rest of the time the supercharger will be cooled by the air flow, and the amount of metal makes a good heat sink, for when on boost.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Do you really need an intercooler?. How much boost are you going to use and for how long, till you lift your foot?
The rest of the time the supercharger will be cooled by the air flow, and the amount of metal makes a good heat sink, for when on boost.

Harvey.
Yeah, but the air coming out of the supercharger is going to be at ~180 degrees. Welcome to roots blowers.

(PSI = about 8 for that temp calculation)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZCory View Post
Yeah, but the air coming out of the supercharger is going to be at ~180 degrees. Welcome to roots blowers.

(PSI = about 8 for that temp calculation)
Yes for how long, 12 seconds?

It depends on what the car is used for, if it will have boost for long periods, then an inter-cooler is needed, as in circuit racing or diesels, boats, etc.
I have run a PD blower on 14psi on the road, with the usual boosted runs, no inter-cooler, just water injection.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Yea, I'm running water-meth injection on my supercharger for cooling.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yea that's exactly the idea. Separate electric water pump, and a usually skinnier heat exchanger in front of the radiator is used to cool the water. You can also do some cool tricks where you cover the heat exchanger in ice and stuff.
Oh ok, sounds doable.
Also, I noticed that the site you linked says their intercoolers usually get 0.05 psi drops, but the specific one you linked has a 1.1 psi drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Yea, I'm running water-meth injection on my supercharger for cooling.
What kind of supercharger setup are you running? I have yet to see anyone on here running a M62/M90 on the side of the engine like the examples linked earlier in the thread, and I want to know if it'll fit.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 PM

I have one of LANs kits with the AX1600 between the block and manifold in the center. Setup at 12 psi with a built forged motor and custom ground cams and head work. Nismo 740cc injectors, new style subaru coilpacks. Still getting the tuning setup on the Hydra so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but man do I want to. Also has a 6MT/R180 and almost every bushing replaced. And Fortune 500 coilovers going into it when it warms up out. It was busy this past fall with all the work. Got things back together just in time to pull it into the garage for the winter heh.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 AM

TireIron, that sounds like a BEAST!

Also guys, FWIW, I bought a Ford supercoupe M90. It's a LOT smaller externally, so it should be easier to mount/fabricate flanges for.

Getting back on topic, a couple of extranious theories:

My next idea: Make a crossover pipe between the plenums with the IRIS valve in tact. The problem I can see with this is that the extended length, due to the distance between the plenums, would interfere with the timing. However, could I tune the length to a second or third harmonic? This is strictly for the resonant system.

From what I've read I understand it thusly: The stock system at low RPM uses an inertia system. This is the same as most other "Tuned" intake system whereby the runner length and diameter are tuned so that the inertia of the air flowing into the cylinder is at it's greatest. Too big and you don't build inertia, too small and it's restrictive, much like exhaust header tuning.

The interia system I can duplicate by carefully designing my custom intake. That's simple enough.

The resonance system however is more complicated, because it works on sound waves for the pressure pulses. This is the system that the IRIS valve was designed and tuned for. And which may or may not be able to be replicated.

Am I on topic here or completely off my rocker?

(Also, I'm still trying to figure out why they need a small port beside the IRIS valve, and then open the valve for a big port. Unless I've got my systems mixed, and the resonance (sound) tuning is for lower-RPM, while the inertia tuning is for high-rpm)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

basically, it starts with a long runner intake for torque development, and switches to short runner intake for power development.

it's basically an IMRC, but with a single valve in the middle.

in theory 2 properly designed intakes with the proper runner length should make the same peak horsepower, at the same rpm as the stock manifold. it will just get there much differently. but thats only if plenum size and length and shape are the same as stock.

if you left the intake stock, but just removed the iris valve, so it was stuck in long runner mode permanantly low end torque would be the same, but it would seriously lack top end power. maybe producing 170-180hp