How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Re: alternator wires

Anybody know a good source for an insulator cap for the back side of the alternator terminal riser? the flat plastic one, not the domed rubber cap on the top.

My new one didn't come with a cap (and I did go through all of the packing material) and the one on my old alternator didn't fit without being forced, and it was already cracked from heat brittling.

I am headed back to the auto parts store tomorrow, but I somehow doubt they'll have one, but maybe.

Mitsubishi Alternator, and the riser has the letter B embossed on it. I thought about getting another riser, but the new alternator won't let go of it easily.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-25-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Call Christian at Maniac Electric Motors and tell her what you need. She keeps these parts on hand for her rebuilds.

972-557-5768

Tell her John Hoffman suggested you call.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator back.jpg (50.4 KB, 568 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

How time flies.

Here is a photo of me doing my third original alternator wiring upgrade of the evening at Lafayette. Lots of help and flashlights.

Looking at the camera is a bleary-eyed "Zeppelin". Don't recall the other person.

All the old farts were in bed long ago...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lafayette alternator wiring.jpg (284.7 KB, 589 views)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

How time flies.

Here is a photo of me doing my third original alternator wiring upgrade of the evening at Lafayette. Lots of help and flashlights.

Looking at the camera is a bleary-eyed "Zeppelin". Don't recall the other person.

All the old farts were in bed long ago...

Zeppelin; "Dude, This is not your car!"
John;"I like soup!"

John Hoffman;Date of Birth:
August 11th, 1844
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 09-26-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Call Christian at Maniac Electric Motors and tell her what you need. She keeps these parts on hand for her rebuilds.
That is the part.

I may give them a call, I have been in e-mail communications about the shipment, before it arrived, since that is who my new alternator is from, and I am slightly surprised that it arrived without that cover. Don't want it arcing from that post to the aluminum intake manifold directly behind it.

I have boxed up the old alternator to ship back there tomorrow, as well, for the next person's rebuild.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Play nice or else... the poster child for Reading is watching...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASTI NAZI.jpg (55.7 KB, 602 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 09-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Registered SVX

white cables are 10AWG damn thats tiny
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
white cables are 10AWG damn thats tiny
That's what I thought. Brand new 10 gauge wires, with no corrosion, shiny terminals and solid, clean connections, may have done the job... TWENTY YEARS AGO!

Years of deterioration, corrosion, andengine heat have taken their toll on its ability to pass current easily and remain physically and electrically intact.

Thats why the original 4 gauge alternator wiring mod, introduced almost 10 years ago, was so effective.

Why do you think it is so easy to jump-start a car with 4 gauge jumper cables? I remember someone with 14-16 gauge cables. Almost worthless -- passed very little current and they .got very hot.

I would suspect our coil pack wires suffer from some of these problems also.

Last edited by svxcess; 09-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Registered SVX

could be, only downside is i have to reuse the connectors from the fuse box, no shop carries them in stock

by the looks of it, i think the wires have been replaced b4 there's just a lot of weird connecting and splicing which in the end all the cables still connect together
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Finally got the connectors, and the 4AWG 'welding' copper stranded cable, and almost all of the supplies.

Still waiting for the terminal cap, which should be arriving from Maniac soon, and I have to pick up some shrink wrap tubes and retainer loops tomorrow to build the cables.

I think I found another way to mount the fuse holder, as well.

SVXCESS's pictures show that he has a nice optima battery, but no battery tray around it. My car still has the battery tray.

there is a flat area on the engine-facing side of the battery tray, that has enough clearance from the valve cover of the engine. I noticed that a nylon license-plate bolt fits the holder perfectly, and has a flat head for the battery side of the tray. I am thinking that two bolt holes in the battery tray side, and the fuse holder mounts directly to it. And the whole thing can come out of the engine bay, if needed, by taking the battery out as well. The plastic of the battery tray, and the nylon mounting bolts will minimize any possible arc points, as well as insulating the back side of the fuse-holder metal terminal bolts.

Looking forward to completing this project, and having the SVX back on the road. Should have it's new Continental tires mounted early next week as well. Gotta get that thing back up and reliable, because it has to give it's garage space to the Legacy for suspension refitting, and be my daily transport instead.

------------

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-30-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I am not sure I like you approach, using the side of the battery tray as a mounting surface.

One of my many considerations for mounting the fuse was in having to change the fuse in less than ideal conditions. In my setup, if the fuse ever needed changing, all I needed to do is pop off the fuse cover and loosen the nuts with a small box-end wrench. In fact the wrench I keep for this purpose is covered in heat shrink tubing , except for the very end. This eliminates the possibility of having any part of the wrench touch any metal ground while installing a new fuse. Even at night everything is easy to see.

I have even lifted the entire fuse holder off of the fuse box and held in in my left hand, while using a socket to remove the fuse.This totally reduces the arcing possibility.

In your configuration, I worry about the ease of changing a fuse when the wrench could accidentally touch any metal (frame, body, valve cover, etc) Working sideways, without a direct line of sight.

If you are mounting it high enough on the battery tray for good access and visibility, and the clearances for your wrench movements are sufficient, that may be different.

/

Last edited by svxcess; 10-01-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Registered SVX

i finished up my wiring today and god it was a pain trying to wire 5 10awg wires together lol

SVXcess i tried your idea of mounting off the fuse box but the size of my battery causes an issue, it will interfere with taking the battery in and out. so i'm thinking to mount it on the fender wall between the battery and the fender and is still accessible
Old 10-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Did mine as well. Car didn't like it at first.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
i finished up my wiring today and god it was a pain trying to wire 5 10awg wires together lol

svxcess, I tried your idea of mounting off the fuse box but the size of my battery causes an issue, it will interfere with taking the battery in and out. so I'm thinking to mount it on the fender wall between the battery and the fender and is still accessible
Why would it interfere with removing the battery? Were you trying to permanently mount it or use the bracket which just slipped over the edge?

Just disconnect the power wire from the POS battery terminal (Leaving it attached to the MegaFuse holder) and lift off the fuse holder from the fuse box and move it out of the way.

Since the engine is off, there is no current going from the alternator to worry about. You have to remove both battery terminals anyway to remove the battery.

I have done this a few times.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Did mine as well. Car didn't like it at first.
What made it change its mind?

Please give more details.