SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM
AK-49

Registered SVX
Stop lamb and brake light randomly on

I have no idea what is causing it but my stop lamp and brake light on the dash come on randomly and turn off randomly, also the stop lamp one when its on it will turn off when i push the brake pedal. If anybody could give me an idea on this i would appreciate it the lights get annoying at night.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Stop lamb and brake light randomly on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have no idea what is causing it but my stop lamp and brake light on the dash come on randomly and turn off randomly, also the stop lamp one when its on it will turn off when i push the brake pedal. If anybody could give me an idea on this i would appreciate it the lights get annoying at night.
The stop lamp simply means that one of the brake light bulbs is out. Check them and see which is blow and replace. As for the brake light check your fluid.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 AM
AK-49

Registered SVX

thanks for that but none of my bulbs are out in fact the stop lamp one didn't start coming on until i replaced a bulb that was out and since then i have checked it a few times, and i checked my brake fluid and it was about a half inch under the max line so i topped it off and it seems that light stopped coming on but that stop lamp remains a mystery
Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
thanks for that but none of my bulbs are out in fact the stop lamp one didn't start coming on until i replaced a bulb that was out and since then i have checked it a few times, and i checked my brake fluid and it was about a half inch under the max line so i topped it off and it seems that light stopped coming on but that stop lamp remains a mystery
It's very sensitive and so usually when you replace one bulb, its best to replace all of the brake light bulbs or at least the one directly opposite to the one that needs replacing so it reads the same.

Hope that makes some sense
Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 AM
AK-49

Registered SVX

ya that makes sense ill just swing by NAPA and get all new lights and see if that works if it doesn't ill just have to keep trying stuff
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
ya that makes sense ill just swing by NAPA and get all new lights and see if that works if it doesn't ill just have to keep trying stuff
An incandescent lamp has either a good filament and illuminates or is shot. There is no in between except if there is a faulty soldered connection within the lamp's base, which is rare and will show up with flickering under vibration. Dirty and or corroded contacts are common and if you remove and replace bulbs, it is likely that you may inadvertently fix this problem, but will think the new bulb was the fix. Not reliable or a cheap.

Remove each bulb and clean the contacts and if on hand a CRC type cleaner is worthwhile.

The system incorporates a stop lamp checking device which is what actually switches the fault indicator light. It is quite small and located on the right hand side of the trunk and is plug connected. Check it out and give it a tap and shake up with the lights on, while keeping an eye on the trouble lamp.

Intermittent electrical faults are a PITA. However common sense and logic will win the day.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

For the fluid, check your reservoir cap. There is a rubber diaphragm in the cap, it should be collapsed up inside of the cap. Sometimes it mushrooms down and extends into the brake fluid, pushing the fluid down to where it activates the sensor.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 PM
AK-49

Registered SVX

so the stop lamp light is now off all it took was some dielectric grease on the bulbs and problem solved
Old 07-09-2010, 12:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
so the stop lamp light is now off all it took was some dielectric grease on the bulbs and problem solved
Good one. Told you so.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:55 AM
AK-49

Registered SVX

now to get the air bag light off that one has been on since i bought the car haha