How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-02-2002, 11:52 AM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Exclamation jackstands

It's a darn heavy car kids, just reading that first thread gave me the creeps.
In 1989 I was working on the landing gear of a 310B (think Sky King). Now, once you jack it up, the (very tall) jack stands have a cone shaped indentation in the top of the shaft, and the underside of the AC has cone shaped metal 'tits' at the jack points, So thinking I had the cones in the indentations I was cycling the gear up and down when one wing jack point decided to fall the last 1/2 down into its cone shaped recepticle on the jack stand. To this day, I don't think I could move that fast again, the noise no doubt covered the sound of me soiling my pants. I actually injured my back trying to move out from under it so fast.
Chock it, brace it, do whatever you have to do to stablize it, then minimize your time under it. I keep a small set of steel chocks in my trunk, tucked against the spare just for that reason. Better safe than sorry.

ITS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
dah planes dah planes...

blackbolt94red..you another pilot here or an A/P mechanic.

I've always wanted to actually work planes. I love to fly them, but sometimes feel the need to spend some time under the coweling to.....bond.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Reply on ramps

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
I take off the cover (I'm sure you ALL do).
Nope, I use, what I refer to as, the "little Stevie Wonder" method of removing and replacing my filter.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-02-2002, 12:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: jackstands

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbolt94red
In 1989 I was working on the landing gear of a 310B (think Sky King).

HAHAHAHA!! "I remember bein' buck-toothed and skinny, writin' fan letters to Sky King's Penny . . . "

Bruce, you probably lost that reference to all but us "old pharts," but, I sure enjoyed the "flashback."

(Darn! Years as a deejay in the 70's makes everything a song reference. )

"Almost broke my car. Happened just the other day . . ." (With apologies to CSN&Y)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 12:50 PM

yes i know i shouldve used jack stands

well the idea that i had while switching the wheels was to take off one, put the spare on, then lower that side, then take the other side off, put in the other wheel that had been taken off, and then go again to the otherside and take the spare off and replace with that wheel. i wasnt under the car at all. my biggest fear was the car crashing into the ground with the brakes and rotors and all that jazz. thanks for the concern though, but i emerged unscaved.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:06 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Talking Out of the blue of the western sky comes..........SKY KING

For those really old fans, I think his first plane was a T-50 Cessna Bobcat but I could be wrong, twin radials, tail dragger. I can't for the life of me remember Pennys plane, but was it a single or did she inherite the Bobcat? The Cessna 310b was so cool looking, those big tuna tanks out there on the wing tips, those two big flat six (what a coinsidence) powerplants sounded so cool....still do. Early ones had huge twin 'thrust augmenter' exhausts out the top of the wing at the end of the nacelle...very cool.
I can't remember his name right now, shame on me, but he died in the late '80's as I recall on his way to a Shuttle launch, a stupid fender bender.
jscorse;
I did the A/P thing for a while in the late 80's/early 90's but as the saying goes, the way to make a little fortune in aviation is to start with a big one. I can't remember how many big airlines folded up, so many mechanics out there looking for work. It was ugly. I ended up here in South Dakota, not the edge of the world but I can see it from here.........learned the sign making biz, neon, marriage, step daughters, the last being the greatest challange.

Randy
"Almost cut my hair....But I didn't...and I wonder why.....I feel like letting my freak flag fly....yes, I feel...like I owe it......to someone"

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX
Bruce,
Would you believe . . . Kirby Grant? Good call on the Bobcat.

ENJOY!
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/freeper/
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Boone

Re: Re: Reply on ramps

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
My car never leaves the ground during oil changes...
Nope, I use, what I refer to as, the "little Stevie Wonder" method of removing and replacing my filter.
Randy, Wade a minit.. do you have a grease pit dug next to the outhouse? I've always missed not being able to change my own fluids without a rigger in my carport or a service appointment. Can you document the "how-to"? B.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:31 PM

Seriously, what is this "little Stevie Wonder" method?
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Reply on ramps

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

Randy, Wade a minit.. do you have a grease pit dug next to the outhouse? I've always missed not being able to change my own fluids without a rigger in my carport or a service appointment. Can you document the "how-to"? B.
Nope, no pit. I just lay flat on my back in the driveway. The drain plug is easily reachable. Slide the drain pan under, udo the plug (making sure it doesn't drop into the pan -- nasty!). Let the oil drain (warm it up a bit, first, to help it drain -- not too hot, you've still got to get the filter).

To get the filter, I've simply become accustomed to knowing where it is. I have a filter wrench that fits onto the bottom of the filter and accepts a socket wrench. Snap it on, give a few short "torques" with the wrench (obviosly, there's not much "throw" space), pull the wrench, unscrew the filter (trying to take care not to let it completely drain into the "undercover" -- it's gonna get messy any way you look at it) and slowly lower it trying not to spill any more than you have to. I have to use my left hand to do all the filter work, cuz it's a little tight under there. I fit the filter by "feel" (Stevie Wonder is blind, by the way, Mattski ). I feel for the threaded receiver, then, by feel, align the filter with the receiver and spin it on. Easy. Then, I put the drain plug back in (these days, more securely than prior to the Canaan Valley meet ). Pour in your six quarts of new oil (or, 6.5 if you're anal) and voila!! No biggie.

Your arm gets a little scrubbed from having to reach between components and the undercover, but, it's worth it to me not to have to take out all the screws in the undercover and risk stripping them.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 03:10 PM

Randy, thanks for the tutorial. This will be a rude change from my Legacy where the filter is just beyond the bumper. Then again it might be better than my Nissan Stanza with a transverse engine where it was up against the fire wall.

How did I miss the Stevie Wonder analogy?
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
Randy, thanks for the tutorial. This will be a rude change from my Legacy where the filter is just beyond the bumper. Then again it might be better than my Nissan Stanza with a transverse engine where it was up against the fire wall.

How did I miss the Stevie Wonder analogy?
If you *have* to see the filter, you can position yourself to where, when you shine a flashlight (torch for our UK bretheren ) in the general direction of the filter, you can take a peek through the hole in the undercover, where the tow hook is.

Good luck!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-02-2002, 04:21 PM
Boone

Thanks for the instructions Randy. I'll have to try your method. I'm sure my cat will be fascinated by the procedure and may assist. I'll have to remember to close my eyes in order to "feel" better. B.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:48 PM

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but...

My brother-in-law's brother was changing the oil on a Pontiac (Sunbird I think) in his driveway with the car on the factory "flat-tire" jack when the jack slipped out.

He's been in a coma now for 4 years. Should he ever awake, he will be a quadraplegic. Wife (and him) went broke after insurance topped out. Now she's divorcing him just to move along in her own life.

Please never put your body under a car with just a jack holding it up.

P.S. On original post I forgot to put in the fire/rescue guys said he was lucky all the wheels were on or it would have killed him when it fell (implying he was lucky to be alive, vice breaking almost all important body parts).

Last edited by lee; 08-02-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Re: ..and let me add...GOOD jack stands

Yup those Rhino ramps come in very handy for oil changes, and since the drain plug is at the rear of the pan, the tilt actually helps it to drain.

As for the chocks that came with the SVX, I think I've used them once. They're probably rusted together now. I usually just set the parking brakes.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Ramps . . . for an oil change? My car never leaves the ground during oil changes. A) I don't like working under a raised car unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, B) If the car's "tipped" you don't get out as much dirty oil as if left flat, C) Because it isn't really necessary to raise the car for an oil change.

I have a set of ramps and use them when I have to and I also have a set of cast metal jackstands. I do, however, need to invest in a good floor jack.

Now, here's a question: How many of you have actually used the wheel chocks that came in the tool kit? (Or ANY tool in the tool kit for that matter?)