SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Catalytic Converter queston......

About to smog my 92 for the first time in CA this friday...... according to my Carfax the car passed CA smog in 2002 at 135,620 miles and 2004 at 135,878 miles. I now have 140,000 miles roughly........ that being said...... since it hasnt been driven much since last passing smog, but was 4 1/2 years ago.... is there a reason I should think it wouldnt pass? I installed new plugs and other maintenance and it runs great and idles smooth..... so there wouldnt be a reason for a cat to go bad within 4500 miles right, even if its been over 4 years? Im just wondering if time has a role in fouling or diminishing the effectiveness of the cats.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Re: Catalytic Converter queston......

Hi,

Mine passed smog two weeks ago at 163,000 miles. I get an occasional CEL, but they refer to a weak knock sensor and something in the EGR system. I warmed the car up fully by taking it on a 20 mile freeway run, brought it to the smog station, and half an hour later, my certificate was on its way to Sacramento. I don't know what the problem is with the EGR, I suspect the valve sticks every once in a while. I'm sure the knock sensor is cracked, because the CEL comes on if I make a left turn shortly after starting the car from really cold (several days off.) It usually goes out after a minute or so, only once or twice staying on for about 50 miles. The dealer wants $800+ to fix both problems, but I think he is double dipping, flat rating me on both, both of which require removing the intake manifold, a two hour job at flat rate.

Anyway, I run on. GEt it smogged, and enjoy.

Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Took a nice drive on the freeway, passed with:

HC at idle 36ppm, 2500rpm.... 15 ppm

%CO2 14.5 both idle and 2500rpm

Carbon Monoxide % 0.07 at idle, 0.00 at 2500rpm

Are these normal or did the guy just help me out??

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Took a nice drive on the freeway, passed with:

HC at idle 36ppm, 2500rpm.... 15 ppm

%CO2 14.5 both idle and 2500rpm

Carbon Monoxide % 0.07 at idle, 0.00 at 2500rpm

Are these normal or did the guy just help me out??
I don't recall my numbers (at work now), but my car did pass with flying colors about a year ago. WAY under limits on all categories. These cars run very clean when well tuned. I've changed a bunch since then like injectors; ECU, etc, so I'm hoping that next year goes as well, but so far so good.

And congrats! You had me scared in another thread saying you'd get rid of it if it failed. Glad it didn't come to that.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
I don't recall my numbers (at work now), but my car did pass with flying colors about a year ago. WAY under limits on all categories. These cars run very clean when well tuned. I've changed a bunch since then like injectors; ECU, etc, so I'm hoping that next year goes as well, but so far so good.

And congrats! You had me scared in another thread saying you'd get rid of it if it failed. Glad it didn't come to that.
Thanks man! I was worried big time since they make you spend $450 or more plus fees to correct smog issues before they let you off, I just dont have it. Im sure with all your new stuff yours will do even better.

Curiously, when my whole Reno debacle happened it failed NV smog miserably at idle and revs. Im thinking that after it finally started and smoked like crazy for a minute burning out all the excess fuel it fouled the cats before I smogged it there...... but cleared out when I drove it back to Socal.... thats the only way it could go from terrible to clean im assuming